Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 05-09-2019, 07:18 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
This should be good..All these M139 cars are gonna skyrocket in value. Probably gonna start using Jeep engines or a Hemi QP. Jason

ASE Master Tech. 29 years experience
Ferrari, Maserati, Land Rover, & Jaguar technician.
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
post #3 of 41 Old 05-09-2019, 09:46 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
The two-decade long association with Ferrari has been a rather mixed experience for Maserati. Sure, there has been some positives, of course, but also many constraints. I hope this is the start of a new and promising era for Maserati.

'74 Merak
'99 3200GT

post #4 of 41 Old 05-10-2019, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 44
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
It will be interesting for sure. I wonder how many people bought their Maserati because of the Ferrari sourced engine. They sure do sound good. I read a while back FCA was developing a powerful inline 6 motor that could be used in a lot of their products from jeeps to Alfa’s & Maseratis. I imagine tweaked according to the character of each vehicle. On that note I saw a video of a guy with a classic Maserati with a straight 6 and it did sound amazing it it’s own right .
post #5 of 41 Old 05-10-2019, 04:08 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 847
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
New Maserati Era Dawning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merak1974 View Post
The two-decade long association with Ferrari has been a rather mixed experience for Maserati. Sure, there has been some positives, of course, but also many constraints. I hope this is the start of a new and promising era for Maserati.
+1. I read an article recently that the Mas higher ups have recognized that the QP6 era (sorry owners) was a mistake in that it downgraded the aura of the brand by trying to have orders of magnitude greater production volumes -- which never materialized (even in China). What may be on the horizon is a Ghibli model that will option out north of $100K, while the QP series will start at about $100K and option out half again that much. That makes the marque fit that niche a notch above the German stuff, but not yet to the Ferrari price points. So the uniqueness is in that small band between the popularly accessible and the rarified. Where the GT fits in this scenario would be north of a QP, arguably on par with entry level prancing horse in performance, with a tad lower price of admission. That leads back to the subject of this thread, engines. What I would like to say is that very respectfully, Ferrari is not the only high performance engine manufacturer. Get rid of the marque mystique and there are a handful of very competent providers. All of them race for a living.

My 2 cents.

KTBD
post #6 of 41 Old 05-10-2019, 11:37 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 409
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
I have to admit....a Ferrari sourced engine did influence my buying decision, I also think that keeping things Italian as much as possible has some bearing as well. I completely agree with Kissthericksdad's assessment regarding the marketing aspects. I feel that Maserati should not shoot for the highest volume they can sell, as that will dilute the brand. I enjoy the good things about these Italian machines, and tolerate the bad. For me it's about the emotional connection.
post #7 of 41 Old 05-10-2019, 12:53 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,145
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
I wouldn't mind if Maserati out-sourced their engines from famous engines companies like AMG. I had a chance to recently test-drive the new Aston Martin Vantage with AMG's famed bi-turbo V8 and performed like a champ, along with sounding terrific. VW/Audi also makes some terrific turbo V6 and turbo V8 engines powering the Panamera/Cayenne/Urus which would be a great match for Maserati's.

2013 Maserati GT MC Convertible: Bianco Eldorado/Nero; Carbon Aero PK; Int. Carbon-Evo I+II; 20% tint; clear bra; Larini sport cats; DBW
2008 Ferrari F430 Spider: Avus Bianco ext/Red leather int; Daytona seats; Carbon dash trim and steering wheel; 20% tint; clear bra; Sport exhaust (LOUD!)
2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano: Nero/Cuoio; F1 superfast trans; Daytona seats
2010 Lambo Gallardo Spider LP560-4: Nero Noctis/Nero
2019 Ferrari Portofino: Rosso Corsa/Nero
post #8 of 41 Old 05-10-2019, 01:13 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 188
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissthebricksdad View Post
+1. I read an article recently that the Mas higher ups have recognized that the QP6 era (sorry owners) was a mistake in that it downgraded the aura of the brand by trying to have orders of magnitude greater production volumes -- which never materialized (even in China). What may be on the horizon is a Ghibli model that will option out north of $100K, while the QP series will start at about $100K and option out half again that much.

It wasn't really a downgrade, it was the mistake of offering very basic entry level cars to be configured - which US dealers jumped on stocking up, and status chasers jumped on buying. A proper QP doesn't start under 100k and a proper Ghibli will cost over 100k, and optioned like that they're just as good as any Maserati of old.
post #9 of 41 Old 05-10-2019, 01:19 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 188
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Unpopular opinion (for this forum):

First of all, it's Maserati that's cutting ties with Ferrari, not the other way round as the article suggests

Quote:
Well, as you know, we have a contract. And as you know, Maserati has announced that at the end of that contract they will not renew it.
Second, I'm glad they're ending the Ferrari collaboration. Maserati has a long tradition of quirky 6-cylinder engines more than the V8s of today, and they're perfectly capable of making their own (same goes for Alfa, which shouldn't have got a Ferrari engine in the QV cars). Look at what the Ferrari ownership/collaboration ended up making Maserati: a brand that people see as the poor's man Ferrari, and the owners don't help with that either. Maserati can do more, and they can find their lost identity.
post #10 of 41 Old 05-10-2019, 01:35 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 127
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
I wonder if this has contributed to the delay of the Alfieri? I'm in the same boat with Jason thinking this will help the value of my GT. It's an 18 that I did a 4 year lease on, so I'll be due up in 2022. At that point, I'll have a choice to make, and if this is one of the last Ferrari NA's, it should be worth keeping. My question will be how hard maintenance, etc., will be on those going forward once the relationship is broken.
post #11 of 41 Old 05-10-2019, 01:43 PM

I was just kidding about the values...I doubt it will raise them....Jason

post #12 of 41 Old 05-10-2019, 01:46 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 127
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] Enzo`s Atlanta View Post
I was just kidding about the values...I doubt it will raise them....Jason
Wouldn't expect them to raise, but maybe help hold some value..
post #13 of 41 Old 05-10-2019, 02:05 PM

Maserati and Alfa will probably come up with something together.. Maybe some engine components from Chrysler like the current V6...Not sure you can have anything other than an Italian made engine in the car and market the thing.. An AMG engine in a Maserati? I'm sure the engine is badass, but that is just wrong.....It's like putting a Chevy in a Jaguar....Jason

post #14 of 41 Old 05-10-2019, 02:17 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 528
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshy View Post
Unpopular opinion (for this forum):

First of all, it's Maserati that's cutting ties with Ferrari, not the other way round as the article suggests

Second, I'm glad they're ending the Ferrari collaboration. Maserati has a long tradition of quirky 6-cylinder engines more than the V8s of today, and they're perfectly capable of making their own (same goes for Alfa, which shouldn't have got a Ferrari engine in the QV cars). Look at what the Ferrari ownership/collaboration ended up making Maserati: a brand that people see as the poor's man Ferrari, and the owners don't help with that either. Maserati can do more, and they can find their lost identity.
I largely agree. But, moving away from Ferrari will not be easy. I wonder what the plan is, especially whether engines will be supplied in-house or from an external supplier?

'74 Merak
'99 3200GT
post #15 of 41 Old 05-10-2019, 02:29 PM

Probably a Ferrari design and both Alfa and Maserati use it...Manufactured by FCA...Maybe a modular deal.. With a V6 and V8 offering? Jason

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode