LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Ceramic Coating

My new GT will be here around 20th. I plan on putting a ceramic coating first thing off the truck. Has anyone had any experience doing this? What are your opinions?

2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport
2017 BMW X5
1995 Ford F150

2015 Maserati QP - Lease ended

"A Culture Cultivates What It Honors" - Plato 300BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 10:26 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 129
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
When I got my new GT 3 months ago zi claybared it and then got some Gtechnique Crystal Serum on Amazon. This is the best ceramic
coating that I have ever used. Application is easy and the gloss is amazing. The follow up detail products fir everyday use are great
also. Happy to send you pics of my car. [email protected].
post #3 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 11:02 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 38
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
About 5 years ago I used the retail version of Opti-Coat which I applied myself with great results. On my last car I had a local shop apply Modesta BC08 and BC04 silica coating and it turned out great. The coating makes the cars much easier to maintain between washes and has better scratch resistance. Whatever you do, make sure the paint is free from defects before applying. If you're having a shop do it, they do ($$) the prep work for you.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Getting prepped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohnscharer View Post
When I got my new GT 3 months ago zi claybared it and then got some Gtechnique Crystal Serum on Amazon. This is the best ceramic
coating that I have ever used. Application is easy and the gloss is amazing. The follow up detail products fir everyday use are great
also. Happy to send you pics of my car. [email protected].
I would love to see the pics. Also, how many coats of coating did you put? I have ordered all the stuff to do it, ph balanced soap, snow cannon, Iron X, clay bar, Clay bar lube, DA polisher, black pads, mild polish, CQUK 3.0, and tons of microfiber towls. Also watched hours of Youtube on this. I am hoping the paint needs zero correction with it being new. If it was a black car I dont think I would try it but being white I think it will be a little more forgiving.

2017 BMW X5
1995 Ford F150

Last edited by Tommy Graham; 04-09-2019 at 04:23 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Getting prepped

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobP View Post
About 5 years ago I used the retail version of Opti-Coat which I applied myself with great results. On my last car I had a local shop apply Modesta BC08 and BC04 silica coating and it turned out great. The coating makes the cars much easier to maintain between washes and has better scratch resistance. Whatever you do, make sure the paint is free from defects before applying. If you're having a shop do it, they do ($$) the prep work for you.
I am going to tackle the prep myself. I am just hoping the paint is is in almost perfect condition. I bought a DA Polisher, black pads, and some Menzerna SF3500. The car has been in dealership warehouse covered instead of out on display. They actually had two GT's just about alike. One out on floor and mine in storage. It is being shipped in covered truck. Hopefully protected. Everything I've seen and read states that prep is the key.

2017 BMW X5
1995 Ford F150

Last edited by Tommy Graham; 04-09-2019 at 04:22 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 02:06 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 129
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Email for pics..too many to post [email protected]
post #7 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 04:24 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 315
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
I’m kind of old school so I went with Adams Ceramic Wax. The paint on my 2013 GT Conv was in excellent shape and even though your car is new, I would do the following: Start with “Strip Wash” to remove any factory or dealership prep stuff. You can then use a clay mitt with detail spray which is much easier than a clay bar. Then remove that residue and any light scratches with a light polish, by hand! I used Adams Revive Polish and their blue applicator. Buff everything off with plush micro fiber towels. Now, I would feel the car is ready for whatever coating you want to use.

I’m 72 and did my GT in a day, all by hand (enlarge pics below for a better view)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4B976D21-1E7E-4629-B793-D407FC451338.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	122249   Click image for larger version

Name:	0195ADFA-AC12-482B-8F65-8D965C837427.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	122251   Click image for larger version

Name:	EC2914F8-1512-4A1C-88D9-5654A02DFF16.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	122253  

2013 GT Conv Nero Carbonio & Cuoio interior
2007 QP Exec. Nero Carbonio & Cuoio interior (Gone)
1967 Jaguar Roadster (long gone)
1968 Fiat 850 Spider (pure fun)
1960 Austin Healy 3000 (Last of the Hungry Ones)
1965 MG 1100 (Rally Car)
post #8 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynabar View Post
Iím kind of old school so I went with Adams Ceramic Wax. The paint on my 2013 GT Conv was in excellent shape and even though your car is new, I would do the following: Start with ďStrip WashĒ to remove any factory or dealership prep stuff. You can then use a clay mitt with detail spray which is much easier than a clay bar. Then remove that residue and any light scratches with a light polish, by hand! I used Adams Revive Polish and their blue applicator. Buff everything off with plush micro fiber towels. Now, I would feel the car is ready for whatever coating you want to use.

Iím 72 and did my GT in a day, all by hand (enlarge pics below for a better view)
That looks great! You have 23 years on me so much wiser and more experienced. Thanks for passing the knowldege to me. I will keep in mind as I venture into this.

2017 BMW X5
1995 Ford F150

post #9 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 05:47 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 38
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Graham View Post
I am going to tackle the prep myself. I am just hoping the paint is is in almost perfect condition. I bought a DA Polisher, black pads, and some Menzerna SF3500. The car has been in dealership warehouse covered instead of out on display. They actually had two GT's just about alike. One out on floor and mine in storage. It is being shipped in covered truck. Hopefully protected. Everything I've seen and read states that prep is the key.
I hope it's in great shape, but don't be surprised if the paint needs work. My last car needed $800 worth of prep work before it was ready for coating. I specifically asked the dealership not to touch it before I picked it up right after it was delivered new to them. It's flat black and had swirl marks/marring.
I'm in the process of buying a new '18 GT MC and the paint is in terrible shape. Now it's been sitting on the lot for quite some time, but they are correcting it before I sign for it, otherwise no deal.

With that said, you should be good to go with a white car!
Good luck and keep us posted!!!!
post #10 of 11 Old 04-12-2019, 09:43 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 207
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Ceramic Coating

I ceramic coated mine. I used Kamikazi ISM from Esoteric car care. Check them out. I figured if the products were good enough for the Bugatti then itís good enough for me. They have tons of useful videos. My car is white so ISM was the perfect choice plus it can be put on trim so all the black material on my MC looks awesome now! Itís also amazingly easy to apply. If you have a dark car then do a coat of Miyabi then layer ISM. He talks about it in his videos. The only downside to DIY is the amount of equipment to get is almost overwhelming and take your time. I have both Rupes polishers (Bigfoot and the 3Ē 75e). I found that the Bigfoot was just not small enough to get in tight spots. If your try and that backing plate hits something you will be VERY sorry. The smaller one doesnít have that issue. I used wool cutting pads and yellow foam polishing pads. Just give them a call and they will help you out. After buying all the stuff you could easily pay a pro to do it but then youíd have to pay again in a few years. That was my rationale for diy. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maserati MC
post #11 of 11 Old 04-13-2019, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeFLoN View Post
I ceramic coated mine. I used Kamikazi ISM from Esoteric car care. Check them out. I figured if the products were good enough for the Bugatti then itís good enough for me. They have tons of useful videos. My car is white so ISM was the perfect choice plus it can be put on trim so all the black material on my MC looks awesome now! Itís also amazingly easy to apply. If you have a dark car then do a coat of Miyabi then layer ISM. He talks about it in his videos. The only downside to DIY is the amount of equipment to get is almost overwhelming and take your time. I have both Rupes polishers (Bigfoot and the 3Ē 75e). I found that the Bigfoot was just not small enough to get in tight spots. If your try and that backing plate hits something you will be VERY sorry. The smaller one doesnít have that issue. I used wool cutting pads and yellow foam polishing pads. Just give them a call and they will help you out. After buying all the stuff you could easily pay a pro to do it but then youíd have to pay again in a few years. That was my rationale for diy. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks so much for the info. My car is white also. Hoping that will be somewhat forgiving. I have ordered all the stuff and bought a DA polisher as well. I did not think about the smaller backing plate so that will be ordered tomorrow. I am going with cquartz UK 3.0. Already have it. Again, thanks for help!

2017 BMW X5
1995 Ford F150

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode