Wanting to purchase - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-09-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wanting to purchase

Hi guys I’m new here. I am wanting to possibly purchase a used Maserati. However, with a lot of the negative things I’ve heard I’m a little scared to pull the trigger. Therefore, I am throwing myself at your feet looking for advice...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-17-2019, 03:02 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 17
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I own a 2014 GranTurismo Sport and I’m absolutely in love with the car performance, sound, releability and look. I can’t advise about other model.

BlueGTS2014
post #3 of 7 Old 02-18-2019, 11:53 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 378
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
These cars are more of an emotional purchase than a practical one...but it is CRUCIAL that you do not let your emotions blind you to any potential issues - which is VERY easy to do...don't ask me how I know. Just do your research and learn all you can. Also remember that on these public forums you will mostly hear bad stuff, not the good stuff....so even though there are some horror stories out there...the majority of the cars are fine. You will need to be more attentive to the needs of a Maserati than most other cars...that is just part of owning an Italian car. Previously I had a 2006 Quattroporte Sport-GT and just loved it, I treated it well and never had any issues at all - not one! I just recently purchased a 2013 Quattroporte-S and this is my "daily driver", oh sure there are some minor issues to work on (stickies, etc)...but overall the car is just gorgeous and drives great. No regrets.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-19-2019, 08:37 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 564
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Garage
Bought my 2016 GT in July 0f 2017 new at the dealer 800 miles away. Had NEVER driven a Mazz before in my life. Negotiated a price based on pics and specs online.
Used miles for a one way ticket and hotel room.
Showed up at dealer. First question he asked was: "want to take you new car for a spin?" (all paper work was then already signed)
I said: "Nope. Already own it anyways. Got a long drive home to get to know it. This was what I wanted. I knew it when I flew down here."
After some walk thru items, I got in the car and drove it home 10 hours.

That was my first and only test drive.my 10 hour drive home. Did not even drive it to 100 feet to the dealer showroom for final plates to be put on.

So now 2+ years later, you ask was it worth it?

YES - every day

(it is in storage for winter) - I can't wait to get it on the road in April!!!!!!!!!!!

Belgrade/Scarborough, Maine USA
2016 GT Rosso Mondiale
post #5 of 7 Old 02-19-2019, 03:00 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 27
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasnam View Post
Bought my 2016 GT in July 0f 2017 new at the dealer 800 miles away. Had NEVER driven a Mazz before in my life. Negotiated a price based on pics and specs online.
Used miles for a one way ticket and hotel room.
Showed up at dealer. First question he asked was: "want to take you new car for a spin?" (all paper work was then already signed)
I said: "Nope. Already own it anyways. Got a long drive home to get to know it. This was what I wanted. I knew it when I flew down here."
After some walk thru items, I got in the car and drove it home 10 hours.

That was my first and only test drive.my 10 hour drive home. Did not even drive it to 100 feet to the dealer showroom for final plates to be put on.

So now 2+ years later, you ask was it worth it?

YES - every day

(it is in storage for winter) - I can't wait to get it on the road in April!!!!!!!!!!!

Aside from the "driving it home" part, this is my situation in a nutshell as well.

Working to finalize a deal on a 2013 GT MC that is in Tampa, FL. The drive form Tampa to Detroit would be over 18+ hours so I'm going to have it shipped.

I've never been inside a GT, let alone drive one. But I've read up on the GT religiously and despite it being an emotional purchase, I don't expect to regret it one bit. I just can't get that car out of my head...and I've seen my fair share of supercars up close. The exhaust is intoxicating and the look is timeless. Plus having 4 functional seats is cherry on top.

I drive a Civic right now so this is gonna be a hell of a change...

Anyways...despite of the high maintenance typically required by these cars, I am up for the challenge. I plan on setting aside $4-5K per year for gas/maintenance/etc. and do majority of the work myself. Parts are expensive but I think it's the labor that makes things expensive. From what I gather, the engine and tranny on the GT is pretty much bullet-proof. So that leaves suspension/exhaust/fluids/belts/etc. If you are mechanically inclined and have patience, none of that should be hard to do with the proper space/tools/guidance+reference.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-19-2019, 03:39 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 564
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeropatel View Post

Anyways...despite of the high maintenance typically required by these cars, I am up for the challenge. I plan on setting aside $4-5K per year for gas/maintenance/etc. and do majority of the work myself. Parts are expensive but I think it's the labor that makes things expensive. From what I gather, the engine and tranny on the GT is pretty much bullet-proof. So that leaves suspension/exhaust/fluids/belts/etc. If you are mechanically inclined and have patience, none of that should be hard to do with the proper space/tools/guidance+reference.

So I am likely an "Outlier" on this forum who disagrees with this mindset.

It doesn't need to be that much more than a normal car. These car depreciate. I knew that the moment I bought it. Why would I pay expensive service as if it was a Ferrari, Lambo, McClaren ect... that was going to go up in value the less I use it and the more I dump into it? Foolish.

Yes I take Excellent cosmetic care of it. But I have an Indy that does a great job and his prices are less than any Ford or Chevy Dealer. $4-5k a year (mostly gas) should be your biggest expense. Insurance? Quotes from $3,500++ and up as my "boutique" agency called place that wanted less than 3k year in miles and no kids in my house driving (21+23)!!! called around, got insurance for $1,200 a year NO restrictions. (still don't let me kids drive it though - but that is my choice)

Point is - no reason these cars should cost so much to maintain by going to dealer for everything.

Belgrade/Scarborough, Maine USA
2016 GT Rosso Mondiale
post #7 of 7 Old 03-05-2019, 07:24 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 7
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Nichc43,

check out the 2007 Quattroporte Sport GT I just posted in the for sale section with only 10,500 miles on it...previously was a collectors car...sadly I need to let her go if I can find the right buyer who knows and loves the Maserati...condition of this gem will not disappoint.

let me know if you might have an interest and want any additional info.

Here's the link to the ad so you don't have search for my post:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...829112121.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode