Maserati Forum banner

TPMS sensors: which one?

20K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  Jason@ Enzo`s Atlanta 
#1 ·
TMPS sensors

I am looking at replacing the TPMS sensors for my 2009 GT.
For now, I am just replacing the rear tires, so I thought I'd buy just two new sensors.
And I'm getting three possibilities.

Looking at the HUF units as OEM replacements, I find both the RDE001 and RDE011 listed as the ones to use.
Both are 433 MHz units.

On tpms.com, the replacement is RDE001, so I ordered two.
When dismounting the old tires, I found RDE011 sensors inside the wheels.

My TPMS system has shown an error code since I bought the car in February, so I don't know if the old sensors are working or not.

So at the Maserati dealer today, I asked the parts counter guy which was correct. His system did not specify which of the two HUF sensors. But it did confirm the need for 433 MHz.
And then he said he remembered there was a parts supersession, as the original units for the GT were NLA.

Does anyone know which is the correct TPMS sensor?
001 or 011?

Thanks!

See less See more
#6 ·
Update on the Oro-tek TPMS, not working yet. The tire shop can read the pressure so we assume the sensors are working but not being recognized by the GT. Went thru the calibration procedure many times but fails within 30 seconds.(Doesn't go thru the 20-30 recal as many mention on these boards.)

Any help?

#7 ·
Remember not to have the old sensors anywhere near the car when you attempt calibration. More than 4 signals confuses the TPMS module. Also regarding that first "within 30 seconds" calibration failure alert: ignore & keep driving at least 10-20 minutes. Stops at traffic signals don't count. If you turn off the switch before you get pressure readings being displayed, you will have to start the calibration procedure over.

Cheapest thing to try next if none of this works is to get 2 more new sensors so car will have 4 new. If it won't calibrate then, TPMS control module would be the next logical step. If it were me, I would request a code check with Leonardo or SD3 equipment before just blindly buying a new module.

KTBD

#8 ·
Tire shop TPMS tools will read the transmission of pressure from the sensors but it's the "re-learn" function of the sensors to the TPMS ECU that has to occur in order for the system to function. For an 2009, you will still need a Maserati scan tool for sensor programing. If you buy new sensors and have your local tire ship install them, make sure you record the sensor ID's and the wheel locations prior to showing up at the dealer.

#9 ·
Guys, be aware you can have other faults within the TPMS module that will not allow it to calibrate...They will often get a voltage error and CAN bus fault...You maybe replacing a TPMS module that simply needs clearing...That is why the local tire place is not the place to fix this stuff unless you like fooling around...The proper software can save time and money in this case..Jason

#11 ·
Thanks for the advice however it appears throughout these boards 2 paths. Either the sensors need to be programmed via the dealer or a re-learn/calibrate with the overhead button and drive for 20 minutes. Curious if its model year dependent? Mine is 2010 GT Sport.

Unfortunately, the closest dealer is 200 miles away so I am sure hoping that the calibrate option is the proven method.

#13 · (Edited)
I had the same problem with my QP and the nearest dealer was >100 mi away. I decided to start with a new module since that was something i could put in 100% myself. When that didn't fix it I went the route of a new sensor which i knew i would have to take to a tire shop to install. First one sent to me was a dud, second one worked like a charm and I switched back to my original ECU/module after confirming this way that the original was not the source of my problem. Just had a bad sensor despite it having a good battery and sending out a good signal. I've go the ECU up for sale right now. I share your frustration. It was the only thing about my car that had driven me nuts since purchasing it in Jan. The ECU's shouldn't need specific programming. When i bought my replacement from Niello, plugging it in worked right away. The sensors didn't need anything other than re-hitting the calibrate button.

#14 ·
2011 GTS TPMS Part number? What happens if I don't replace.

Gentlemen

I am about to order another set of tires. Currently my 11 GTS does not have any TPMS warning lights. Everything is fine.

I am thinking about being pro active since she is an 11 and ordering a set of 4 TPMS sensors.

Given she is an 11, I am sure it is not going to be as easy as plug and play. lol

Do I want the Huf RDE011 for $295.00 or the Huf RDE001 for $324.00. OR and I am sure these won't work, the Huf UVS2000 for $164.00

They are all 433 mhz sets.

My indy has a Maserati scan tool, but I would like to make this process as easy as possible.

Are there any other cheaper alternatives?

Lastly, what would happen if I just got new tires and removed the sensors. Would I always get an error light? Is there a way to turn the monitoring system off.

I have never had tire pressure issues in the 12 years of Maserati ownership.

All comments and suggestions are appreciated! Thanks. C

#15 ·
In need of advice : I'm having two new rear tires installed on my 2013 GT Sport coupe tomorrow . The front two are also on order and will be installed in a few weeks . Does the tire shop need to do anything at all ( other than be extra careful not to break the current sensors during the installation ) and do I have to do anything , other than follow the " press the two sequential dashboard buttons for a TPS reset " procedure as described in the owner's manual ? The manual seems to suggest doing it right after the tires are installed, but am I better off waiting to do that reset after driving 20 or 50 or whatever number of miles ..? I don't have any TPS warning lights at the moment , but I can check the pressure reading using the menu , and everything seems to work ok now. So unless the shop screws up anything , it should be seamless , right ?

#16 ·
Chris, not sure I can offer any advice however throughout these boards I have found conflicting information about replacement TPMS sensors. The biggest confusion is the "dealer needs to input the new sensors serial number to the ECU". I do not know if this was a statement for a particular year or a blanket statement. If anyone can confirm if re-programming is required and the year of your GT would be very useful.

#17 ·
Oro Tek has a number of 433s all at different prices. Other brands' prices vary widely. What is it about the TPMS that causes the prices to vary so widely? Just manufacture's pricing or is there a quality of material or quality of assembly or quality of batteries that cause this wide fluctuation?

#18 ·
Update : had the tires installed , wanted to do the reset / recalibration the manual indicates , but the shop said if the TPS dashboard light is not on , no need to re-calibrate anything . So I didn't ..drove it home ( about 25 miles ) checked the menu for the TPS reading , and all of them seem fine , so I'm not going to mess with it .

#19 ·
Update on my original post:

Yesterday I noticed a bubble in the sidewall of a front tires, so I replaced the fronts. Now have Bridgestone RE050A all around.
Also had the shop install nes TPMS sensors in the fronts. I do not know which replacement sensors were used.

In the process of installation, their scan equipment indicated that the almost new Huf 001 in the rears (from my original post) were not communicating with the scan tool. But the previous Huf 011 that were removed from the rears during tire installation did communicate. So I had them insert the old 011 sensors back into the rear wheels.

Now all four wheels have TPMS sensors that are communicating with the scan tool.
Heading out now to see if the system will re-calibrate.
Stay tuned...

#20 ·
Huff RDE 011 Tire sensors worked out great in my 11 GTS

I try to be proactive with my car maintenance so when it was time for another set of tires at 55,000 miles I decided to replace the sensors.

I bought 4 OEM Huff RDE 011 sensors from OE Wheels for $297.00
I bought 4 Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tires from Tires Easy for $796.60
My indy performed an alignment, he has gradually reduced the camber for less inner tire wear. Car drives awesome, (I do not track or beat on her) and mounted and balanced the tires. These are my second Vred set. They lasted about 2 years around 15,000 + miles. I run 32 on all tires.

The senors were simply reset by holding the button on the dash and re calibrating. It had to be done several times, but eventually the car recognized the new sensors.

All the best! C

#26 ·
I tried many programmable TPMS sensors for my 2010 GTS with no success. Once I had the factory original RDE-001(I recall) it worked perfectly. I've read many individuals having success with other units. Would be nice to get input why it works for some and not others. I found in one discussion it could be the version of the TPMS Control Module?

#27 ·
There is a S/N cutoff in the 2011 model year for 2 different versions of the TPMS system.

For reference, visit the Parts section of Niello Maserati. If you go the OEM route, their price is decent for the sensors. I bought from them just because I've heard conflicting comments about aftermarket sensors, and for just a bit more $$ I didn't want to screw with it.

Hans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.