Hmmmm 2009 with F1 or 2011 MC sportline? - Page 2 - Maserati Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 Old 09-08-2016, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Maserati Life Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thank everyone. F1 it is! Now just have to find the right one...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
sadcaper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 27 Old 09-08-2016, 09:52 PM

InnerCircle
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pacific NW
Maserati Life Posts: 115
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
The F1 is great fun to drive, just make sure you do your home work and get a PPI (specifically on the transmission) on the car before hand. Just be prepared for the possibility of high repair/maintenance cost.

But I do enjoy mine 09 GTS F1, it just takes more preventive maintenance than I anticipated.

Just my onion.
Xxtant25 is offline  
post #18 of 27 Old 09-08-2016, 10:10 PM
 
azapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Santiago, Chile
Maserati Life Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
The jolts and judders azapa reports when cold has less to do with the transmission and more to do with calibration of the carburetor -or lack there-off. To avoid this, simply turn-on the ignition and wait for the lights on the dashboard to turn-off (typically 2-3 secs) and then start the car after that!. Butter smooth drive-offs forward or backwards at low speed guaranteed!
I will try this tonight Peterson, and even thought to video the driving experience to show others. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE IT.

The one reason I never bought a Maserati before (or Jag or AMG) is the fact they all had slush boxes with pretend paddles.. When I discovered the stradale had this box I knew I had to have it. It was THE selling factor (well, noise, beauty and front seats too) for me.

My special car, not DD, has to be as close to a race car possible: impractical, loud, bumpy, crap idle, scary. The stradale does most.

Euro MC Stradale - 2013 - 9k miles (for now!)
azapa is offline  
 
post #19 of 27 Old 09-09-2016, 05:52 AM
 
Join Date: May 2014
Maserati Life Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
FYI all semi-auto gearboxes will downshift when coming to a stop, otherwise the engine will stall. For the GTS F1 that's the only time it will ever shift for you in manual mode. It won't even upshift for you at redline.

The gearbox is the tried and tested unit used in all semi-automatic Ferraris since the 355, until the Enzo/F430/599. Since the 458, Ferrari moved to a dual-clutch system with much faster shift times.

In the F430 and Enzo the shift times are 150ms. In our GTS F1 and 599 GTB (the 'F1 Superfast' refers to the improved gearbox) they improved it to 100ms. In the MC Stradale and F430 Scuderia it was further improved to 60ms.

What I don't quite like is that you only get the 100ms ('MC Shift') when you're above 5500rpm with more than 85% throttle (also the gearbox has to be warmed up, and then the 'MC Shift' indicator on the dash shows). Sometimes it's not easy to do that on public roads lol. When it does do the 'MC Shift' it feels awesome, a quick 'bwap!' and you're in the next gear and I don't lift at all.
18000rpm is offline  
post #20 of 27 Old 09-12-2016, 02:06 AM
 
azapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Santiago, Chile
Maserati Life Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azapa View Post
I will try this tonight Peterson, and even thought to video the driving experience to show others. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE IT.

The one reason I never bought a Maserati before (or Jag or AMG) is the fact they all had slush boxes with pretend paddles.. When I discovered the stradale had this box I knew I had to have it. It was THE selling factor (well, noise, beauty and front seats too) for me.

My special car, not DD, has to be as close to a race car possible: impractical, loud, bumpy, crap idle, scary. The stradale does most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterson View Post

The jolts and judders azapa reports when cold has less to do with the transmission and more to do with calibration of the carburetor -or lack there-off. To avoid this, simply turn-on the ignition and wait for the lights on the dashboard to turn-off (typically 2-3 secs) and then start the car after that!. Butter smooth drive-offs forward or backwards at low speed guaranteed!

Ok Peterson, hats off to you Sir for the tip because it seems to make a difference. Where did you find this tip (Ill be embarrassed if it is in the owners manual!!)?? Butter smooth!

Euro MC Stradale - 2013 - 9k miles (for now!)
azapa is offline  
post #21 of 27 Old 09-12-2016, 01:59 PM
 
Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Maserati Life Posts: 2,353
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18000rpm View Post
FYI all semi-auto gearboxes will downshift when coming to a stop, otherwise the engine will stall. For the GTS F1 that's the only time it will ever shift for you in manual mode. It won't even upshift for you at redline.

The gearbox is the tried and tested unit used in all semi-automatic Ferraris since the 355, until the Enzo/F430/599. Since the 458, Ferrari moved to a dual-clutch system with much faster shift times.

In the F430 and Enzo the shift times are 150ms. In our GTS F1 and 599 GTB (the 'F1 Superfast' refers to the improved gearbox) they improved it to 100ms. In the MC Stradale and F430 Scuderia it was further improved to 60ms.

What I don't quite like is that you only get the 100ms ('MC Shift') when you're above 5500rpm with more than 85% throttle (also the gearbox has to be warmed up, and then the 'MC Shift' indicator on the dash shows). Sometimes it's not easy to do that on public roads lol. When it does do the 'MC Shift' it feels awesome, a quick 'bwap!' and you're in the next gear and I don't lift at all.
There were many, many developments over the F1 system since the F355. The F1 in the 355 really cannot even be compared to the later F360s or F430, that's parts like the solenoids, potiometers, F1 pumps, etc, all totally different. Additionally, the first thing I would suggest to any of the early F360 clients I have is to switch the TCU out because it has an autocalibrated Kiss point that either slips the clutch or has the car around sideways to find a happy medium, you cannot adjust it. It's not just the mechanical parts that went through redesign, or the NCRs (TCU's) but all the firmware as well. What you have in that Mas. is heads and tails above anything designed back in early 2000's.

Also, there is a very real purpose to not allowing the gearbox to slam through gears until warmed up, akin to pulling your car out of the drive way and nailing it when it's not up to operating temp. It's really not something you should do. There's an optimal operating temperature for machines, they design them with safety stops so you don't do something that will be costly.

Finally, if you have an F1 car you should be toggling neutral coming to a stop the majority of the time if you are saving on clutch wear. Save the down shifting for spirited driving, or if you prefer showing off. The other side to this is it also saves on actuator wear. You really don't need to have your actuator shifting down through all the gears to come to a stop. If you thought a clutch was expensive to replace try replacing an Actuator in a GT with an F1 system. It was also redesigned inwardly to shift faster than it's previous older brother the GS, so you cannot even use an Actuator from the GS, like you could a 4200 series car.
Craig is offline  
post #22 of 27 Old 09-13-2016, 03:54 AM
 
Join Date: May 2014
Maserati Life Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Also, there is a very real purpose to not allowing the gearbox to slam through gears until warmed up, akin to pulling your car out of the drive way and nailing it when it's not up to operating temp. It's really not something you should do. There's an optimal operating temperature for machines, they design them with safety stops so you don't do something that will be costly.
Of course I know the gearbox should be warmed up.

My point is you only get the fast shifts above 5500rpm and 85% throttle, which is sometimes not easy to do on public roads.
18000rpm is offline  
post #23 of 27 Old 09-13-2016, 02:22 PM
 
Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Maserati Life Posts: 2,353
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18000rpm View Post
Of course I know the gearbox should be warmed up.

My point is you only get the fast shifts above 5500rpm and 85% throttle, which is sometimes not easy to do on public roads.
Is this true also with FD drive by wire module as well? The rpm range might still be the same but the DBW module actually might improve the 85% throttle pre-requisite. I haven't been able to install it on one of these cars yet but I'd imagine that would dynamically change the throttle response because of how the DBW works.
Craig is offline  
post #24 of 27 Old 09-13-2016, 03:41 PM
 
azapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Santiago, Chile
Maserati Life Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I am wondering where you have seen the 5500rpm and 85%? I feel a noticeably fast shift in race mode at less than that, can not quantify how much less though.

One of my reasons for buying the car is to track it, shame the only decent circuit here has closed for now, but if that were the case the hard shifts at the rpm and throttle positions you mention would seem reasonable. I am sure these 60 or 100ms shifts are hard on the whole drive train - why waste them on road use?

Euro MC Stradale - 2013 - 9k miles (for now!)
azapa is offline  
post #25 of 27 Old 09-14-2016, 02:29 AM
 
Join Date: May 2014
Maserati Life Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azapa View Post
I am wondering where you have seen the 5500rpm and 85%? I feel a noticeably fast shift in race mode at less than that, can not quantify how much less though.
I assume your car is an MC Stradale since only those have race mode.

I won't be surprised if the MC Stradale does the fastest shift in more conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Is this true also with FD drive by wire module as well? The rpm range might still be the same but the DBW module actually might improve the 85% throttle pre-requisite. I haven't been able to install it on one of these cars yet but I'd imagine that would dynamically change the throttle response because of how the DBW works.
I have the FD DBW. Supposedly the DBW will make the car shift more aggressively under more conditions but I don't really feel a difference.
18000rpm is offline  
post #26 of 27 Old 09-14-2016, 05:44 PM
Performance Specialist
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Maserati Life Posts: 4,462
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
The GT F-1 models (MC-SHIFT / Stradale) do have adaptive shifting, meaning the harder you drive the faster it will shift, we didn't really want to ruin that feature but instead just allow you to enjoy the car more easily and without having to drive it quite so hard to get the better performance. The DBW will help get you the faster shifts sooner and without having to drive as hard but there are still protections in the system that we don't override such as for safety of the gearbox, including warming up. Also, there is a point where if you bring the fastest shifts on too quickly or not under the right circumstances, you'll run into a problem where it actually snaps pretty hard on the shift and can set off other alarms, so we found that the speed of the shift on these faster models does have to be matched to your acceleration or it will not be a smooth experience and is harder on the equipment. For those who've felt that quick hard shift on these rare GT F-1 models, you'll know what we're talking about there.

Agree with Craig on the F1 Transmission improvements, there is quite a bit of difference from the earlier F355, which was really the first generation F-1. The early 360 cars were the next generation, the later 360 / 430 cars had further improvements and the 599 was improved quite a bit again. The MC-SHIFT / Stradale Maserati shares the same gearbox as the 599 so it's really a good bit of technology in there!

Either way, the GTS or MC Stradale w/ F-1 are the best performers in the Maserati F-1 world currently and we all agree that they are a blast to drive!

Best Regards,

_______________________

Formula Dynamics
[email protected]
1-800-351-8757 Toll Free
1-702-430-1040 Local

Visit: FormulaDynamics.com for Maserati Performance Parts:
ECU/DBW Chip Upgrades - Exhausts - Suspension Kits - Brake Kits / Pads / Lines - Air / Oil Filters - Wheels
FormulaDynamics is offline  
post #27 of 27 Old 11-07-2016, 02:13 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Maserati Life Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18000rpm View Post
Here's the sound from my stock 2009 GTS F1.

I love the crackles and pops whenever I lift or shift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmiryem0XJw
is the screeching from the brakes normal? i just got a used gts f1 and i have that same noise. 7k mileage
isjm is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome