post #1 of 19 Old 08-28-2016, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Tranny & diff oil change DIY?

Do I need any specific pumps or tools?
11' GTS ZF 6speed

Anyone happen to know capacities or fill procedure? Ex fill till over flows, plug it up and drive the car on the lift for a mile then add more fluid till it overflows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-29-2016, 02:02 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 77
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
The ZF box is sealed for life.

2008 Ferrari F430 Coupe (gated 3-pedal) - Bianco Fuji
2008 Maserati GranTurismo MC Sport - Grigio Touring
2002 Jaguar XJR 100 - Anthracite
2008 Porsche 911 C2S (Aero Kit) - Guards Red
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.0 Diesel - Bright White
post #3 of 19 Old 08-29-2016, 05:51 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 3,548
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoWho View Post
The ZF box is sealed for life.
Indeed. Although I believe that the answer to the OP's question would be 'Yes, in spades'

C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
4.2 GT Automatic, 147 TS

post #4 of 19 Old 08-29-2016, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

They say life for all bmws as wel which I changed a month ago.

There is an Allen key plug in the middle of it....
post #5 of 19 Old 08-29-2016, 09:43 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,139
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
ZF calls them sealed for life, but they can be serviced..I wouldn`t bother if they had less than 70K on them as the factory fluid is much better than typical ATF...You need to drain it, replace filter and pan gasket and fill with fresh fluid through 8mm plug located at the rear of the transmission until fluid runs out...Now start the car and add more fluid until it runs out..Feel the transmission pan and when it feels as warm as hot shower put the fill plug back in.. BTW... I did watch some of the YC youtube videos...If you keep doing 160MPH on a street bike on the interstate you`ll probably not be around long, so servicing the transmission maybe for nothing...Jason

ASE Master Tech. 29 years experience
Ferrari, Maserati, Land Rover, & Jaguar technician.
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-29-2016, 11:46 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 313
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] Enzo`s Atlanta View Post
ZF calls them sealed for life, but they can be serviced..I wouldn`t bother if they had less than 70K on them as the factory fluid is much better than typical ATF...You need to drain it, replace filter and pan gasket and fill with fresh fluid through 8mm plug located at the rear of the transmission until fluid runs out...Now start the car and add more fluid until it runs out..Feel the transmission pan and when it feels as warm as hot shower put the fill plug back in.. BTW... I did watch some of the YC youtube videos...If you keep doing 160MPH on a street bike on the interstate you`ll probably not be around long, so servicing the transmission maybe for nothing...Jason
+1. fluid changes may be moot.

the diff is a simple drain and fill. fill plug out first, drain plug out second. embrace the aroma. plug the drain. fill until comes out of the fill plug. should be just over a quart or so. replace gaskets of the plugs.

isn't the zf fill plug a 17mm allen? 6mm for drain i think. torx for the pan. replace pan gasket because it probably won't survive removal.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-30-2016, 12:06 AM

I want to say the drain on the pan is a 17mm.? Still think the fill is a 8mm.. That version of the 6hp is a little different than what I usually work with...On a Jag and LR it has a plastic pan and layout is a little different..Aston and Maserati seem to use the same version and I`m not totally familiar with it, but the internals seem the same as far as I can tell..Jason

post #8 of 19 Old 08-30-2016, 04:30 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 6
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So guys, is draining abd replacing the ZF transmission oil will require any computer tool to reset the system or to carry out the job?

Or it can just be done like any other car manually just drain and replace and you are off to go?
post #9 of 19 Old 08-30-2016, 12:00 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 479
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Garage
So what is the general consensus regarding tranny fluid flush and fill with the GT, especially those (Jason chime in here please) with lots of maintenance experience?? I am, and have been a firm believer in having this service done. I just don't believe in "lifetime fluid/fills"!! I mean, what is the lifetime of any fluid in a car? There are so many variables, to say these fluids can last perhaps 100-200 thousand miles is nuts! What if you track your car a few times a year, live and drive where it's over 100F often, on or near the beach, drive in bumper to bumper traffic frequently, etc etc. Several manufacturers, BMW in particular have suffered lots of premature, less than 100k, transmission failures that many speculate has been due to basically no maintenance/fluid change of the tranny. Some very respected automotive technicians/journalists also tend to agree there is no such thing or good definition of a lifetime fluid, especially transmission. I plan on having mine done at some point, but not sure what would be an appropriate interval. I'm assuming like other cars, MB for example recommends at around 40-50K would be appropriate. To me, it seems like reasonable preventative maintenance to avoid a potential major issue and expense down the road, assuming if one were planning to keep and drive these cars well over say, the 75K point, which doesn't seem to be too often. I'm sure it's an expensive service at a dealership, MB charged me around $500 or so, but I can't imagine what a new transmission would cost outside of warranty coverage!!!
post #10 of 19 Old 08-30-2016, 12:50 PM

Around 60-70K IMOP...I have 6HPs apart a good bit on Jags and LRs so I have a pretty good idea..The fluid holds up really good and that is why it`s expensive....Jason

post #11 of 19 Old 08-30-2016, 01:07 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,353
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattroportemaserati View Post
So guys, is draining abd replacing the ZF transmission oil will require any computer tool to reset the system or to carry out the job?

Or it can just be done like any other car manually just drain and replace and you are off to go?
No you don't need a computer to do it. I don't know that Jason specificed just drained, replace and go. I think two things were being addressed the rear diff. and the transmission. Jason and Scoob did cover both in detail on how each should be performed.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-30-2016, 01:21 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 479
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] Enzo`s Atlanta View Post
Around 60-70K IMOP...I have 6HPs apart a good bit on Jags and LRs so I have a pretty good idea..The fluid holds up really good and that is why it`s expensive....Jason
Thank you!
post #13 of 19 Old 08-30-2016, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Also the car pulls quite hard from a stop, especially when cold, I would imagine using a slightly lighter weight fluid would help reduce this, at least when cold (no, not from the raised idle for the cats, I mean while the tranny is cold)
post #14 of 19 Old 08-30-2016, 09:51 PM

The correct fluid is the factory ZF fluid or Pentosin..We use the Pentosin as it`s cheaper and performs the same..Redline does make a nice syn. ATF, however it has a red dye added and I`m not a fan because of it...The factory oil is a golden/brown color and that is exactly what I want the fluid to look like after it has been worked on...Not a combination.. J

post #15 of 19 Old 04-12-2017, 07:40 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 55
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wanted to share some info of my results after changing fluid and filter in my transmission. Also changed rear diff fluid. I have an 08 quattoporte automatic with 67k on it. The fluid was BLACK! Not even a hint of yellow or brown. Good news was the two magnets in the pan had close to nothing stuck to them. I just changed the fluid as preventive maintenance and expected no difference in shift quality etc.

But here's the surprising part, the first thing I noticed was that when I come to a red light or stop sign I no longer get the feeling of getting bumped in the back. I always assumed that was a throttle body issue but by changing the fluid it's gone. And also I noticed that when accelerating from a stop with let's say just under a half pedal of acceleration I no longer get that lurch kangaroo effect. I also had a problem with the car not upshifting in a hard turn under acceleration, that is also gone. I'm not saying this will fix anyone's transmission problems but to me if you're a DYI guy it's worth a shot. And just to note I used Maserati gasket and filter. Oil I got through BMW because they give me a better discount.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List