LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-19-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Negotiating Price on Used Granturismo

Hello all,
New to the forum and have spent the last few months scouring over all the gran turismo threads. I have finally settled on getting a Granturismo S or a porsche 911S but the gran turismo s is my first choice.

Anyway the nearest dealership to me is selling a 2011 Gran Turismo S for 60k right now and it has been on their lot since January and the price keeps going down every few months. My original goal was/is to get one in august since I will be out of the country for much of the summer. But anyway seeings how the car has been there for a while and I see alot of gran turismo's take along time to sell used does this mean We the Buyers have a large negotiating power?

The car i'm talking about in questions has gone down by about 6k in asking price over the last 5 months to its current 60k price. I am thinking about offering 10k less then the asking price and seeing what happens.
What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-19-2015, 07:46 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 131
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
never hurts to ask...but that sounds like a very reasonable price already. honestly, they probably won't budge much more. but..on the other hand, these are very special cars and therefore a very limited market of buyers. so..power is in your hands.

NO REGRETS. love mine.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-19-2015, 10:45 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 197
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
$60k for a car like this is pretty cheap

just buy it, dont be cheap, it will come back n bite you in the ass

Maserati GranTurismo Owner. White exterior, Red Interior. Live in Chicago.

post #4 of 14 Old 05-20-2015, 12:37 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 177
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
What's the mileage on the car?
post #5 of 14 Old 05-20-2015, 02:12 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 132
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
first thing you need to do is request the service and maintenance history before making any offer. find out what type of car you are buying. if the car was in and out of service every week, its not worth your time PERIOD.

if the car is clean and just shows normal maintenance than throw them a low offer, worst they can say is no. once they say no, walk away, dont change your mind, give them time to digest it. revisit the idea 2-4 weeks later with a follow up phone call. the longer the car sits on the lot, the more it depreciates as well as cost them money to keep it in inventory. those cars dont sell fast, it could sit there for a year or more. no dealer will turn down a reasonable offer with some profit.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-20-2015, 02:13 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 176
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
$60k is a good price for a 2011 but I highly doubt they will sell at $50k but it never hurts to try. Just make sure to do your due diligence. CarFax/Autocheck, service history, inspection including body panel paint inspection.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-20-2015, 02:14 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 742
What is the condition of the car? Has the warranty just expired? That might be the reason for the recent delcine.

I own a 2011 GTS and my warranty just expired on Saturday. I have no worries as I plan on keeping my baby for 8 or 9 years and enjoying the hell out of her. I also have a very good close independent.

60K seems like a good price if there is a clean title, no body work or accidents etc and low mileage. I would pay to get a good PPI.

Do I think you will get it for 10K less? Don't think so, the dealer just probably wants to move it.

Good luck with the sale! C

11 Black GT-S
04 White CC Tubi ( traded )
11 Range Rover Sport
post #8 of 14 Old 05-20-2015, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv007 View Post
What's the mileage on the car?
I believe the mileage is at about 30k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpa1999 View Post
first thing you need to do is request the service and maintenance history before making any offer. find out what type of car you are buying. if the car was in and out of service every week, its not worth your time PERIOD.

if the car is clean and just shows normal maintenance than throw them a low offer, worst they can say is no. once they say no, walk away, dont change your mind, give them time to digest it. revisit the idea 2-4 weeks later with a follow up phone call. the longer the car sits on the lot, the more it depreciates as well as cost them money to keep it in inventory. those cars dont sell fast, it could sit there for a year or more. no dealer will turn down a reasonable offer with some profit.
I was definitely going to do this when I was 100% committed. I originally was waiting to purchase whichever future car until august because I will be gone most of the summer so it didn't seem worth it to buy a car that will be sitting for a few months extra anyway. But every few weeks I check car prices and noticed this specific car keeps going down(and from the pictures everything seems in good condition and the carfax for it doesnt show any negatives(aside from no service history notated but im sure in person there will be a log of it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7469 View Post
What is the condition of the car? Has the warranty just expired? That might be the reason for the recent delcine.
I own a 2011 GTS and my warranty just expired on Saturday. I have no worries as I plan on keeping my baby for 8 or 9 years and enjoying the hell out of her. I also have a very good close independent.

60K seems like a good price if there is a clean title, no body work or accidents etc and low mileage. I would pay to get a good PPI.

Do I think you will get it for 10K less? Don't think so, the dealer just probably wants to move it.

Good luck with the sale! C
From the pictures the car looks to be in good condition and the carfax doesnt show anything negative.
I believe the factory warranty is either expired or expiring very soon, because I called and asked about purchasing an CPO extended warranty on the car and they were very vague about it wanting me to come in person to talk any specifics.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-20-2015, 05:06 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 176
Don't believe a CPO warranty can be extended if the original factory warranty has expired. Their "vagueness" may be an indication that this particular car may be ineligible for a CPO warranty.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-20-2015, 07:17 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 21
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I think 60K is a great price for a 2011 GTS if everything checks out right

I just purchased a 2012 GTS with CPO warranty till 2018 for 77K and I thought that was a pretty good deal
post #11 of 14 Old 05-20-2015, 07:20 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 21
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexx91 View Post
Don't believe a CPO warranty can be extended if the original factory warranty has expired. Their "vagueness" may be an indication that this particular car may be ineligible for a CPO warranty.
The Maserati CPO program is quite strict and yes the cars original warranty can only be extended while the original warranty is still valid. Also only the original dealer can extend that warranty so I read but I have found there are dealers that have issued extended warranties on cars which that were not originally sold by them. The extended warranty only covers the major items it is not the same as the original warranty that comes with the car when new
post #12 of 14 Old 05-21-2015, 06:53 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 51
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
60k for a 2011 GranTurismo S in the USA?

I'm seriously crying right now.

That car is worth almost three times that in US dollars here in Australia.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-21-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico View Post
60k for a 2011 GranTurismo S in the USA?

I'm seriously crying right now.

That car is worth almost three times that in US dollars here in Australia.
Yea for whatever reason in the US Maserati has a craaaaazy high depreciation curve. A brand new 2014/2015 may be 140k+. But literally a year or two down the road they plummet by almost 45%. I wouldn't buy one new for that reason alone. The US has the LARGEST car culture though (where people willingly want to buy a new car every 2-4 years) so most new cars have high depreciation curves today.

Im not afraid about reliability/ or cost to run the car since I currently own a sports car that I've replaced almost every part imaginable on it(for performance reasons) and so I know what im getting in to.

I just noticed the "bottom" for used granturismos seem to be 3-4 years old and 55k-65k . So I am just trying to be a savvy buyer and get the car for as close to 50k as I can as I think thats the bottom for this car.

Like I said earlier I wont purchase a car until august and still have more research to do because the other two cars I have in the running are the Jaguar Ftype and Porsche 911s. I actually wanted another manual coupe as I have never owned an automatic car but I see the maseratis often where I work and its allure is too much to ignore so its the only car I would not care about the manual aspect.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-23-2015, 02:16 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 101
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Act now

1. There will always be Jags and Porsches to be had.
2. Everything sells at the right price- I would buy that car at that price IFFFF no accidents, deferred maintenance, and it tested well.
3. That said, the depreciation is due to the expense of the upkeep. Unlike warranteed cars of younger vintage, these cars MAY be expensive to keep up. There are options to keep cost down.
BUT my annual was 1600 and a recent nothing service was 1200. Nothing as in nothing serious but TPM and some other little things. I could have gone elsewhere but piece of mind is important to me. Right now my CPO is in effect and the varriators are being done under CPO ( instead of 8K).

This car are beautiful, fun and sound like no Jag or Porsche.

I suspect at that price, they are at the bottom and simply want to sell it. Lower than that price is auction. I suspect you won't be able to get it lower- you could ask for an annual service or soemthing more valuable to you ( labor plus minimal to them).

Scott

2005 Ferrari F430 Nero/Nero
2009 Maserati Gran TurismoS F1 Nero/Nero.
2012 Ferrari California

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode