LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-12-2015, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2009 GTS "alarm unavailable"

Looking for some advice.

I had to park on a quite steep hill on Saturday, maybe 20% gradient, noise down. When I locked the car using the buttons on the fob it made a second long beep about 10 seconds after the normal beep that indicates the alarm is set. I assumed that the steep hill had tripped the tow sensor and thought nothing of it. Every since then I've been getting the same behaviour every time I lock the car, over the course of about 2 days now.

Is this likely to be the incline sensor? The dealer thinks it may not have reset properly and that it might rectify itself over the course of a few days.

The dealer also suggested I disconnect the battery to reset everything, but warned that other things might not work if I did that, including the wipers and windows. Not sure why the windows would stop working just cause the battery was disconnected but there you go.

Does anyone have any thoughts about how to reset the system? I've tried pushing the ceiling buttons but they don't seem to do anything, our perhaps I'm doing it wrong.

Do I really need a diagnostic tool to reset this?
Is disconnecting the battery really going to screw up the windows?

Any help appreciated, as always

'09 Maserati GranTurismo S MC-Shift
'09 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cab
'07 HSV Clubsport
'05 Honda CBR600RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-13-2015, 12:35 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,353
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Garage
Richard, I don't personally own a GT but this what the Maserati Advanced Electronics Manual states about it. I posted all of it so you can read it in context. Does this sound like what your vehicle is doing? :

"Alarm system activation

The alarm system is automatically activated when the vehicle is locked using the
remote control or the passive entry device.
If you lock the doors using the mechanical key, the alarm system is not activated (for
example, to comply with local regulations banning night-time acoustic alarms).
The normal door lock signals are supplemented with the emission of a 1-second beep
that signals activation of the alarm system.
When the alarm system is activated, the red LEDs on the front door panels flash
(deterrence function)
[Here's the part I thought might be applicable for you.]
If at the time of activation of the alarm system, one or more doors or the luggage
compartment lid are not closed, or malfunctioning or a failure of some alarm system
modules is detected, a second beep of 0.5 seconds is emitted to warn the user of the
failure condition."
post #3 of 9 Old 01-13-2015, 02:59 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 131
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
i say just disconnect the battery and see if it resets the system. i know its risky, but your in a bind now anyways. so if it doesn't work, you'll still have to take it to the dealership to get the system reset by them.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-13-2015, 05:30 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 142
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Replaced my battery last week and had absolutely no issues, so don't be afraid.
I have noticed that the alarm occasionally behaves the same way, but have not been able to establish what it means or if it has any impact on anything ... and nothing in the manual about that ...

Maserati QP - Grigio Touring
Alfa Romeo 156 GTA - Alfa Rosso
Ducati Monster S4 - Rosso Anniversario
De Rosa King - Carbonio Nero
post #5 of 9 Old 01-06-2018, 02:55 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 4
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alarm Reset

I had the same issue in my GT 2008, an error message "alarm unavailable" in the painel and one bip sound plus another extra bip sound after lock the door.
To solve it I disconnected the negative cable of the battery, waited 1 or 2 minutes and reconnected it again. The alarm was gone and everything is working fine again.
Thank you.

Maserati Granturismo 4.2L 2008
post #6 of 9 Old 01-07-2018, 08:34 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 681
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)

FYI -- the alarm has its own battery in the back of the front passenger wheel well under the liner.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-31-2018, 02:54 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronE View Post
FYI -- the alarm has its own battery in the back of the front passenger wheel well under the liner.
@AaronE - Is the secondary battery for the alarm to power the siren (and whatever else) for if the power was cut? Would disconnecting it and reconnecting this particular battery do anything to the alarm system in terms of a reset?
post #8 of 9 Old 05-31-2018, 06:11 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 241
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I change my own batteries and never had an issue with things not working when you first turn the car on... If anything the doors or windows may not work for a few minutes but after a quick drive everything works fine.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-07-2018, 04:15 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 681
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiron View Post
@AaronE - Is the secondary battery for the alarm to power the siren (and whatever else) for if the power was cut? Would disconnecting it and reconnecting this particular battery do anything to the alarm system in terms of a reset?

it powers the siren and is actually part of it. unlikely that doing an Italian reset on it would do anything. when it's not connected (or bad) I get "alarm unavailable". when plugged in, it does its chips and alarms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode