GT front license plate setup in California - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-12-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
GT front license plate setup in California

This has probably been posted many times but I wanted to get input and pics from the California folks. Since California requires front license plates and the NorCal area is notorious for ticketing cars without, I wanted to see if anyone had an elegant ascetically pleasing setup. Please blur out your license number 😄
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-12-2019, 05:29 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 17
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Had ticket few times with my Corvette, I went to highway patrol office by just double side taping it and pay fine and took plate off right away. But I never got pulled over in all 3 maserati's for missing front plate. Guess North is more strict than here

2017 Quattroporte SQ4 Granlusso R.I.P
2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
2014 Maserati Ghibli SQ4(gone)
2012 Range Rover Evoque
2008 Chevy Corvette
2004 BMW 530I AC Schnitzer(gone)
2000 Honda Prelude R.I.P
post #3 of 14 Old 07-12-2019, 05:56 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,288
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
I drove my Porsches in California ( bay area / peninsula ) daily, since 1980 and was stopped only once and given a fix-it ticket. I did exactly what " jimmy912" mentioned in the above post. Have driven the Maserati without a front plate for two years now , also never stopped for that ... yet But it's really the luck of the draw, I have friends who received half a dozen citations in just a few years..

Dan

post #4 of 14 Old 07-12-2019, 06:19 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 224
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
Front plate.... what a sticky wicket.

Drove Corvettes here in Oregon for many years (decades..). Never got bothered not having a front plate.. except when I went to the coast. Weird. And it was not local cops that ticketed me, rather it was the State Highway Patrol. But inland, even on I-5, I was never bothered.

Oregon has a law that states that if the car does not have a factory front plate mount, and there is no reasonable way to affix one, then you can slide. I realize that Maserati does have a mount available (legally they have to, otherwise they could not sell new cars in states requiring one), but if you show someone the front of a Maser it would be reasonable to assume that there is no way to mount a plate. I just hope the cops are not aware of Formula Dynamic's solution, because that would negate the "no reasonable way" argument.

Hans.

2011 Quattroporte Sport GTS Grigio Granito
2015 Chevy Volt (don't laugh)

Past:
1975 Ferrari/Dino 308GT4 (1st car I ever bought)
2006 Impala SS LS-3
Too many Corvettes to count....
post #5 of 14 Old 07-12-2019, 08:55 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 127
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
StonSho... seems to be a decent one. Supposedly uses existing factory bolts under the bumper and the plate pops on and off.
post #6 of 14 Old Yesterday, 01:12 AM

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4regt4 View Post
Oregon has a law that states that if the car does not have a factory front plate mount, and there is no reasonable way to affix one, then you can slide.
Hans.
Actually that same provision is also part of the vehicle code in California . Unfortunately most CHP and various city or county police departments ignore it, ( maybe deliberately to see how many people they can fool into just paying the tickets cost ) but you have to go to court to fight it. No one’s time is worth doing that instead of getting the correction sign off and the $ 25 fee . In addition to the double stick tape method , you can fuse the front plate or the plate bracket to a bolt which has matching threads to your tow hook tunnel , and screw it in when you need it , easily remove it when you don’t . Yes folks , I had that done on my Porsche plate after I had that one ticket , although never had to use it again . But it’s there if I need it . Haven’t done that for the Maserati plate , but I may ..IF I ever get stopped .

Dan

Last edited by DSGT; Yesterday at 02:01 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 681
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGT View Post
Actually that same provision is also part of the vehicle code in California ..

where? generally curious...
post #8 of 14 Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronE View Post
where? generally curious...
I’ll look for it , the info was posted many years ago on the Porsche forum I’m on , and it had the VC section number referenced ....just a matter of the search engine doing its job well, otherwise it’ll be a needle in a haystack ..
Also, would need to check the current VC, they add a ton of new laws every year and replace other old ones..
But if it’s still there , I’m copying it and will keep it in my trunk just in case I get pulled over ..

Dan

Last edited by DSGT; Yesterday at 01:21 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM

InnerCircle

I ran a quick search but since there are more Porsches than insects ( and owners who participate in forums ) there are so many threads and posts one would have to look through, it’d take days . More than 30 pages of threads come up on either “ front license plates “ and /of “ California vehicle code “ search, which only means that one of the thousands of posts in one of those threads might have a reference to either topic . I just remember reading it at the time because it was something I posted after I got the ticket and had that response with the VC code reference . It’ll be easier to search the actual CVC itself ..I’ll do that sometime next week. I’m heading out for a few days business trip to SoCal. ( no, not with the GT, this time although I’ve done that a couple of times ) Ironically one of the first threads that came up on the forum was this video ( below ) of a retractable plate mount with remote control operation. Amazon sells those devices for Corvettes - they’re about $ 150 , my neighbor he one on his Vette , they make them for Porsches also, not sure if they have anything for Maseratis or Ferraris .

https://youtu.be/0uALhUr4Haw

The corvette one mounts underneath the car. It might work for the GT and other cars but not sure.

Dan

Last edited by DSGT; Yesterday at 02:34 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 26
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Current law CA VEH CODE

ARTICLE 1. Issuance of Licenses and Certificates to Manufacturers, Transporters, and Dealers [11700 - 11740] ( Article 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:

(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.

(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:

(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.

(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.

(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.

(Added by Stats. 2004, Ch. 365, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 2005.)
post #11 of 14 Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM

InnerCircle

Thanks for putting this up , good info. Revised from the one I saw more than a decade ago .
That said, no sports cars dealers ( Corvettes, McLarens , Ferraris, Maseratis, various Porsche models etc ) comply with provisions 1 or 2 of the law. And no sports cars manufacturers comply with provision 2 ( b ) . As for the buyer understanding the 2 ( B ) aspect, with the disclaimer that I’m not an attorney , I believe this “ that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.“ is a loophole which can be argued , in light of the above mentioned 1 & 2 dealer and manufacturer unavailability of a fromt plate mounting set up.

Dan
post #12 of 14 Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 224
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGT View Post
In addition to the double stick tape method , you can fuse the front plate or the plate bracket to a bolt which has matching threads to your tow hook tunnel , and screw it in when you need it , easily remove it when you donít . Yes folks , I had that done on my Porsche plate after I had that one ticket , although never had to use it again . But itís there if I need it . Havenít done that for the Maserati plate , but I may ..IF I ever get stopped .
This is in essence the kit that Formula Dynamics sells. I have one, and when I do road trips I keep it in the trunk.

Hans.

2011 Quattroporte Sport GTS Grigio Granito
2015 Chevy Volt (don't laugh)

Past:
1975 Ferrari/Dino 308GT4 (1st car I ever bought)
2006 Impala SS LS-3
Too many Corvettes to count....
post #13 of 14 Old Today, 05:00 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 26
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
When I purchased my 2 year old GT from the dealer, I was given a bracket and signed the CA form regarding not installing it. Over the last 50 years I havent had a front license plate on any vehicle. Ive been stopped once, on a city street, as they were in a maximum enforcement period to minimise other issues on that street. The city cop apologized the entire time he was citing me. Other times, I have been cited along with a parking ticket.
Price we pay to live in CA.
post #14 of 14 Old Today, 07:33 PM

InnerCircle

Yup, I think if you get stopped for something else , they’ll look for whatever they can tack on just to run up the revenue .. the time I was ticketed for my missing front plate on the Porsche was actually a pull over because the car’s windows were tinted too much for Ca standards ( I had bought the car from New Mexico , and didn’t bother to remove the tint ) There are so many miscellaneous vehicle code rules, I’d bet every person violates a dozen of them every single day. You may get stopped for some , ignored for others ..

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode