Air conditioner - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 07-08-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Air conditioner

I've had my '13 GT Cabrio for over a month now and recently started using the AC. (normally my top is down).

Is it me, or is the AC not as cold or efficient as other cars? Maybe mine needs to be recharged? It's cold .... but the cabin really doesn't get as cool as other cars I've owned, even after leaving it on for a while.

All cars have their quirks, just wondering if the AC on these cars is not as good as others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-08-2019, 02:16 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Same with mine, probably the poorest AC of any cars I have owned . Tested mine, and it’s fully charged.

Dan
post #3 of 25 Old 07-08-2019, 05:35 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 47
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Mine has actually impressed me. I also live in Florida and the car is black. Guess I was expecting not much.

Ron

2014 Granturismo S
2009 Jaguar XK
Hummer H2
1997 Viper GTS (sold)

post #4 of 25 Old 07-08-2019, 07:00 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 221
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Garage
Different car, I have a QP.

But mine gets cold enough to store beer. I find I have to manually up the fan speed, if I leave it in full auto mode the air flow is not adequate in high ambient.

Also, it seems to need to get permission from the Vatican, because there is often a long delay between when I start the car and when the A/C starts blowing cold. Like sometimes 5 minutes or so. Blows warm-ish air, then suddenly gets real cold.

Hans.

2011 Quattroporte Sport GTS Grigio Granito
2015 Chevy Volt (don't laugh)

Past:
1975 Ferrari/Dino 308GT4 (1st car I ever bought)
2006 Impala SS LS-3
Too many Corvettes to count....
post #5 of 25 Old 07-08-2019, 08:42 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 18
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I own a 2012 QP5 GTS. The AC is not as efficient as, say, in our 2006 Lexus GX 470, but it does get cold after a while; in fact, I sometimes need to raise the temp a bit. I suspect my experience is typical and do not think my unit is misbehaving; just a characteristic of the unit...
post #6 of 25 Old 07-08-2019, 09:55 PM

InnerCircle

Yes it takes a long time and it does indeed get “cold” after a while , but ( in my experience ) if I had to use a comparison I’d say it’s at least 30 % less cold than any other car I’ve had. And I’m not comparing it to American sedans of the 70s and 80s, those damn things will grow icicles on your windows within half a minute of turning the AC on. Compared even to my Porsches which are supposedly notorious for weak ACs, it’s still not nearly quite par with those . And the Mercedes sedan is also colder . The Jeep Grand Cherokee , in spite of a far larger cabin is by far the coldest AC of the cars I currently own. As I said, the GT AC system is fully and perfectly charged ( and not overcharged ) so can’t blame it on lack of “ cool juice “ .
There is another thread here where someone mentioned there is a new replacement for our R134 , namely 152A which has been used in Europe for while , and which produces noticeable cooler temps. By 15% or so at certain RPM levels . But scientific theories are abound indicating it also puts greater pressure on the compressor / condenser and it could lead to premature wear of the AC system. As much as I loove my cabin to feel like a freezer , I’m too apprehensive using that 152 until it has been time-tested ( IN OUR CARS ! ) and no problems are reported.

Dan
post #7 of 25 Old 07-09-2019, 12:39 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 37
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The AC in my '18 isn't as strong as I'm used too, but I'll put up with it given how amazing the car looks and sounds
post #8 of 25 Old 07-09-2019, 12:50 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
The A/C on these cars isn't terrible, but it is not badass either...You have a pretty sloped hood on a GT so the condenser can only be so large....Hard to compare to American trucks etc. with that huge front grill and a lot of area...Good A/C should feel like a cold glass of ice water on the back hand out of the center vents going down the road...That is a very basic way of checking.. Get a thermometer or a cheap temp gun to get a better idea...You should be able to get down to high 40 degrees under most conditions....A/C is not as efficient at idle or sitting still....Jason

ASE Master Tech. 29 years experience
Ferrari, Maserati, Land Rover, & Jaguar technician.
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
post #9 of 25 Old 07-09-2019, 04:17 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 601
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] Enzo`s Atlanta View Post
The A/C on these cars isn't terrible, but it is not badass either.......A/C is not as efficient at idle or sitting still....Jason

Very much agree with Jason.
I will add my 2016 GTS notoriously get colder after about 15-20 minutes vs. the first 15-20 minutes in my other American vehicles.

My Ford and Chevy get cold on a hot day within a few minutes.....the GTS gets there, just takes like 10 times as long.

Belgrade/Scarborough, Maine USA
2016 GT Rosso Mondiale
post #10 of 25 Old 07-09-2019, 04:25 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 11
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My GTS takes about 8-10 seconds before the a/c air kicks on.. was wondering why it takes that long
post #11 of 25 Old 07-09-2019, 05:15 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 322
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015GTS View Post
My GTS takes about 8-10 seconds before the a/c air kicks on.. was wondering why it takes that long

That's a good feature. Reduces the load on startup. Some people like to always have the A/C off when starting the car for the same reason.
post #12 of 25 Old 07-09-2019, 10:50 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 47
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Just a couple of thoughts:

Is the recirculate button lit? Also, if the evaporator is clogged or not getting good airflow across it that can contribute.

Ron

2014 Granturismo S
2009 Jaguar XK
Hummer H2
1997 Viper GTS (sold)
post #13 of 25 Old 07-09-2019, 12:12 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 56
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Double press the Auto button and it goes into a max type mode

2016 Maserati GTS Blue, Grigio Chronos, Full CF MC Corsa interior
2018 Alfa Romeo TiSport Visconti Verde, Chocolate
2016 Range Rover Sport HSE Montalcino Red,Ivory
2012 Mazda Miata GTPRHT
2011 Lotus Evora S Persian Blue, Suedetex
post #14 of 25 Old 07-09-2019, 01:47 PM

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsski View Post
Double press the Auto button and it goes into a max type mode
I have never double-pressed that button, maybe that’s the the reason I’m not getting the coldest possible air ..Will try that today and see if I can feel any difference . The recirculate button is always off. But I also turn off the “rear” button ( which comes on automatically when the AC is on ) to keep the maximum amount of air bowing in the front; however, I wonder if by eliminating a more direct cooling of the rear area of the cabin, it somehow causes a less efficient way of cold air distribution overall and hindering the optimum result ?

Dan
post #15 of 25 Old Yesterday, 12:50 AM

InnerCircle

The only thing double pressing the auto button seems to do is activate the recirc air ( that button’s light comes on ) and it simultaneously changes the temp from LO / low, up to the next setting at 59, and ending the AC, so converting to just the ventilation function. It just causes the fan to blow harder but not with cooler air ..
Eh, I’ll just have to live with the AC the way it is , not the best , but good enough or rather , “ cool enough “ ...after a while .

Dan

Last edited by DSGT; Yesterday at 06:15 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List