Maserati Forum banner

Purchasing 2016 GranTurmiso Sport - is it still under warranty?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  arizonaitalian 
#1 ·
Hello Maserati Life,

I wanted to get input on a upcoming purchase of a 2016 GranTurmiso Sport. The dealer is down SoCal (I’m in SF) and indicated it is Not a CPO. But when I called the Maserati dealership in SF they told me its still under warranty?! They checked it by running the last 6 VIN numbers.

Has anyone come been in this scenario? Or have validated non-CPO but still has a valid warranty?

Thanks!

#4 ·
being a 16, the earliest it could have been in service would be the middleish endish of 2015, leaving you with anywhere from a few months to a good bit longer on the warranty, given it is 4yr/50k miles as stated by RobP.
the last 6 of the vin plugged in will show when the warranty was activated, which would be the sell/deliver date to the first owner of it. some cars spend a good bit of time on the lot before selling, so the warranty start is an unknown unless a VIN is on hand.

#5 · (Edited)
I bought my 2016 new in April with 2+yrs left on warranty, the original 4yr/50k.

#6 ·
Just get the original in-service date (the dealer has it, sometimes you can get a sense of that date from Carfax). The original warranty is likely still in effect.

You can have it CPO'd and buy the additional 2-years of warranty if you want. IIRC I was offered the extended warranty for $2500 on a CPO car I looked at. Plus they will charge for the inspection. Importantly, you cannot get the extended warranty after the original warranty expires. You gotta do the inspection and buy the warranty prior to the 4-year anniversary of the in-service date.

If it were me, and I was considering buying a GT that was still under original warranty, I'd negotiate to include a CPO 2-year extended warranty in the price (and related inspection). I wouldn't pay more than $3000 for that combined, and hopefully less if you can work the dealer a bit.

#7 ·
Unless the dealer will give you that much extra off the car. I would rather put that in the bank than donate it to the dealer.

#8 ·
I don’t fully understand the CPO? The dealer can have the car listed CPO if they paid for the current service/maintenance to date? The advantage to the buyer is what? If I have a car still under warranty o don’t see the benefit of a CPO car?

I’m flying down to SoCal this Friday and hopefully will purchase the car without any issues.

#9 ·
CPO means "we performed an inspection and performed any needed services/repairs and it passed". Thus its "CPO" or "CPO eligible". That's all it means. Ask to see the inspection results.

From there, once its "CPO"...one can, or can not, choose to buy an extended warranty. In the case of Maserati its offered as a two-year extension, after the expiration of the 4-year original warranty. I believe the list price for the warranty is $2900. I was able to negotiate it down to $2500. I'm sure the dealers have a bit more room in that price and/or often view the car with warranty together and find more room in total to lower the price.

Some folks get the "passed inspection" and the "comes with warranty" conflated when they see the letters CPO.

To your question, there is clearly "advantage" to both. Of course, like everything, the level/amount of that advantage and price one is willing to pay it, vary from person to person.

"CPO - performed inspection and performed required maint and repairs" - is worth something obviously.

"Two year extended warranty" is worth something obviously.

As I said in my prior post, buying a car with remaining warranty and "CPO" inspection performed adds modest value to the overall deal. Having it CPO and buying the extended warranty has more value. How much is up to each individual. For me alone, if they already did the CPO inspection/services, I'd negotiate and buy the warranty at that time. Otherwise, if you decide you want it later (but must be prior to the 4-year original warranty expiration date), then you will have to pay for the CPO inspection/services/repairs. If it were me, I'd get it now (of course some folks think the warranty is worth $0 or less than you would pay and recommend against it - its your car and your ownership, so you will have to decide).

#10 ·
Update:
Thanks to all the genuine folks on this site.

Short Version: The 2016 had frame damage that did not show up on Carfax but did on Cargurus. The dealership was up front but I had to walk away.

In contract on a 2015 (3/15) MGTS with factory warranty from a local dealership. I checked in with my local Maserati service and all is good. Hoping to have it by tomorrow afternoon. Will post photos when it’s home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.