Tell me why a GT is not considered "Exotic" - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 Old 06-07-2019, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Tell me why a GT is not considered "Exotic"

Many times I read posts stating our modern GT's are not considered "Exotics".

What's behind this reasoning?

Are GT's relatively rare - Yes

Do they have exotic Ferrari-made engines - Yes

Are parts hard to acquire and more expensive than Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar - Yes (In most cases)

Are they serviced by dealerships that typically partner with Ferrari, Bentley, Aston-Martin - Yes

To 99% of the population, a Maserati GT / GranCabrio IS an Exotic. (Including my Hagerty Insurance agent)

I wonder if it's those who also own Ferrari's and Lamborghini's in this forum that claim GT's are not in that category?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 06-07-2019, 12:09 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,272
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
I consider it an exotic as most scan tools don't cover Maserati or most parts catalogs...Most European shops won't work on them...That being said they are not crazy exotic as a Ferrari or Lambo....It's kinda a matter of opinion honestly.....Jason

ASE Master Tech. 29 years experience
Ferrari, Maserati, Land Rover, & Jaguar technician.
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
post #3 of 55 Old 06-07-2019, 12:53 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 175
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto97 View Post

Are parts hard to acquire and more expensive than Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar - Yes (In most cases)

Are they serviced by dealerships that typically partner with Ferrari, Bentley, Aston-Martin - Yes

To 99% of the population, a Maserati GT / GranCabrio IS an Exotic. (Including my Hagerty Insurance agent)

I wonder if it's those who also own Ferrari's and Lamborghini's in this forum that claim GT's are not in that category?

Everything on that list applies to QP 6 (5), Ghibli and Levante as well, so I guess it's a matter of perspective and personal experience.

post #4 of 55 Old 06-08-2019, 09:46 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 163
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I would consider the GT as a nice, luxury touring car or lower end exotic car. I think the mass produced Ghibli & Levante have weakened the brand name a lot. I only consider rare Pagani, Koenigsegg, Bugatti, LaFerrari, Aston One-77 or McLaren P1 etc. as true exotic cars. Just my 2 cents.
post #5 of 55 Old 06-08-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseratiDoodle View Post
I would consider the GT as a nice, luxury touring car or lower end exotic car. I think the mass produced Ghibli & Levante have weakened the brand name a lot. I only consider rare Pagani, Koenigsegg, Bugatti, LaFerrari, Aston One-77 or McLaren P1 etc. as true exotic cars. Just my 2 cents.

I think you are talking mermaids....I'm around cars all the time and haven't come close to seeing any of those cars...You are talking about super cars...A Ferrari or Lambo is an exotic car IMO....Every time we have a 430 ,458, etc. at the shop I end up taking photos of the UPS drivers and uniform people sitting in them...That seems pretty exotic in my mind....Jason

post #6 of 55 Old 06-08-2019, 11:19 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 443
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I think "exotic" is a relative term depending on who is saying it, and where they are. For instance, a Corvette is an exotic car in Japan. Here and now, I do think Maserati still holds the distinction, but barely, and less since FCA acquired the brand and started churning out sedans and SUV's under the same marque. Silly as it sounds, I think the attributes which score a vehicle higher on the "exotic" scale are not necessarily good... for instance, higher price, high cost of maintenance, high cost and high incidence of repairs, limited dealer network, etc. Anecdotally, my Lotus is pretty much universally described as an exotic, but I can't say that will last forever as they've been acquired by Geely, and their strategy going forward is heavily dependent on Lotus branded sedans and crossover suv's with reasonable leases. Once you go from seeing a Lotus a month if you're lucky, to seeing several a week (albeit different models than mine) the luster of the brand begins to tarnish, and it will provoke less "exotic" emotions.

06 GS //Larini Headers, Larini midpipes, Larini valved rear boxes, FD ECU, FD DBW, BMC.

02 Coupe GT //Kreissieg V1, Evoms tune

Lotus Evora 400 //Komo-Tec 460HP

Porsche Cayenne Turbo //EVOMS GT700 Package with alcohol injection 700+ hp//
post #7 of 55 Old 06-08-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlobo941 View Post
I think "exotic" is a relative term depending on who is saying it, and where they are. For instance, a Corvette is an exotic car in Japan. Here and now, I do think Maserati still holds the distinction, but barely, and less since FCA acquired the brand and started churning out sedans and SUV's under the same marque. Silly as it sounds, I think the attributes which score a vehicle higher on the "exotic" scale are not necessarily good... for instance, higher price, high cost of maintenance, high cost and high incidence of repairs, limited dealer network, etc. Anecdotally, my Lotus is pretty much universally described as an exotic, but I can't say that will last forever as they've been acquired by Geely, and their strategy going forward is heavily dependent on Lotus branded sedans and crossover suv's with reasonable leases. Once you go from seeing a Lotus a month if you're lucky, to seeing several a week (albeit different models than mine) the luster of the brand begins to tarnish, and it will provoke less "exotic" emotions.

Lotus is a weird ass car company...I think people merge with them to steal their engineering.. I used to fix Turbo Esprits back in the day and have been to their tech center here in Atlanta...Now that is an exotic weird car for sure...We get calls to work on them and we just pass on it...Jason

post #8 of 55 Old 06-09-2019, 12:21 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto97 View Post

All true however for me, one of the qualifiers for being a true exotic is price of admission, and in this aspect, the GT falls a bit short. I consider a MSRP of at least $200k for a base model to be considered an exotic.

2013 Maserati GT MC Convertible: Bianco Eldorado/Nero; Carbon Aero PK; Int. Carbon-Evo I+II; 20% tint; clear bra; Larini sport cats; DBW
2008 Ferrari F430 Spider: Avus Bianco ext/Red leather int; Daytona seats; Carbon dash trim and steering wheel; 20% tint; clear bra; Sport exhaust (LOUD!)
2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano: Nero/Cuoio; F1 superfast trans; Daytona seats
2010 Lambo Gallardo Spider LP560-4: Nero Noctis/Nero
2019 Ferrari Portofino: Rosso Corsa/Nero
post #9 of 55 Old 06-09-2019, 12:36 AM

No offense to anyone as some of you guys own a bunch of hot cars so it seems normal, but to the general public a Maserati is a pretty fancy car...It beats the shit out of a Hyundai Sonata or Ford Focus that most people drive to work daily.... Just saying...J

post #10 of 55 Old 06-09-2019, 01:12 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,200
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlobo941 View Post
I think "exotic" is a relative term depending on who is saying it, and where they are .
Exactly !
post #11 of 55 Old 06-09-2019, 01:29 AM

+1...I did a pre-purchase on like a 1985 Alfa Spider the other day.. It was an exotic in my mind....and a piece of crap, but that is another matter... ...Jason

post #12 of 55 Old 06-09-2019, 05:42 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Every time I try to get insurance for my QP it is an "exotic" according to the insurance companies! My broker discussed changing insurance companies to help me save a few bucks, but then he noticed that the Maserati is classed as a "special rate vehicle" and the company he was looking at would not do less than $1,000 deductible as a result. No go for me! Any car that doesn't just come up in regular databases and can't be fixed at Pep Boys is an exotic as a practical matter. You can split all the hairs you want, but for me "exotic" just means "out of the ordinary" for all these automotive services etc.

2005 Quattroporte
Fresno, CA
post #13 of 55 Old 06-09-2019, 05:47 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Oh another thing, the DuoSelect definitely makes it more of an exotic, just ask the guys at the tire shop who have to figure out how to put it in gear to move it around the shop! Half the time somebody runs inside asking to speak to me because no one can figure out why my car isn't creeping in 'D'. "Give it gas" I tell them. "HUH??" "What kind of crazy car is this?"

2005 Quattroporte
Fresno, CA
post #14 of 55 Old 06-09-2019, 08:48 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 98
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
What is an Exotic Car? To find it out I asked exotic-cars.com. There is written, among other things:"Stunning looks: This is the feature that is the prime differentiator between common and exotic cars. The exotic cars have looks that are out-of-this-world and are much sleeker and sophisticated if you compare them with normal cars. Again as it’s being said that beauty lies in the eyes of beholder, it depends upon person to person. Somebody may just vouch for some cars while for others it may be a normal and ordinary affair."

And that's exactly why a Granturismo is an Exotic Car for me. People are still talking to me about the beautiful and extraordinary design of this car, taking pictures, turning around when I drive by and thumbs up, again and again. Friends tell me when I use the GT: "ah, Daniel is back on the street with his Bat-mobile".

E.g. applied to the other current Maserati models you do not have this in Ghibli, QP or Levante. These are all very nice cars as well, but the very special appearance is missing.

Oh yes, and there is still the sound. If we take this into consideration, then the Granturismo is a Hyper Car.
post #15 of 55 Old 06-09-2019, 11:41 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 11
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Who cares whether some random labels it exotic or not? If you like it and want it and can afford it, buy it, drive it and love it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode