Tell me why a GT is not considered "Exotic" - Page 4 - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 66 Old 06-13-2019, 09:49 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I believe the GT is an exotic car, just not a "Supercar". I certainly think it looks and sounds exotic and people have quite a reaction to it. The engine pedigree definitely helps too, but it's not something most people are aware of.
Speaking of old muscle cars, this is my other favorite car
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23000204_1869413813072200_4888422230315373571_o.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	123287   Click image for larger version

Name:	23000125_1869413789738869_5368050525993351828_o.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	123289  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 66 Old 06-14-2019, 06:05 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014 GT View Post
One would think that in 2018 any car would have a functional phone connection. That said, is the multimedia the reason you bought this car? Also, is this a reason to sell it? No guarantee that it would be any better in a Bentley or any other high priced vehicle.

Ron
Bought my 2014 Masi Granturismo Sport new and used it daily, drove approx. 148'000 km with it. Never had an issue, what a great car! At the begin of 2018 came Maserati and told me the story that they will stop the Granturismo production mid of 2018. For me the last chance to buy this great car again. So I thought about it, because mine already had many miles on the clock. As we all know, the modifications in the last facelift took place mainly in the interior. Finally a new center console with a contemporary multimedia system. Let's face it, the old system comes from the stone age. Since you have to be a very big GT fan to accept this one.

So yes, on pressure of Maserati to stop the production and of course because of the much more attractive interior with the promised new and contemporary multimedia features, I have decided and once again bought a Granturismo Sport for everyday use. Of course, fully equipped with all the add-ons, it was again a really expensive car. I emphasize again, I have bought it for everyday use, I need navigation and telephone. In the old car, I got used to the fact that the navigation is stone age and I telephoned via headphones. So I was looking forward to navigation via Google (much easier targeting, dynamic traffic control, etc.) and a qualitatively superior telephone installation. Finally no headphones to talk on the phone, cool!

The reality looks different now. The Granturismo is still being built and the majority of the new multimedia system does not work. I have paid a lot of money for, in relation for what the product promises say, much worse working car. One thing is already clear to me, I will never buy a Maserati again! And I probably will not drive a Maserati for much longer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead3121 View Post
You've had issues? I've got an 18 and haven't had any yet.. granted I've only had it a few months..
Since Maserati is not able to eliminate the shortcomings (the sayings "it's just an emotional Italian" I can no longer hear), I do not want to give you too much hope.
post #48 of 66 Old 06-14-2019, 08:12 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 41
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
@BlackMasi , sorry to hear your gripe. Did you try replacement under warranty? How many Km did you drive it and how much money did you lose finally selling the car?

Regarding the topic of this thread, since there is no universally agreed definition of "exotic car", what an exotic car is is in the eyes of the beholder and could therefore mean different things to different people.

Thus, this thread will not yield a definitive answer.

post #49 of 66 Old 06-14-2019, 12:14 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 608
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMasi View Post
Bought my 2014 Masi Granturismo Sport new and used it daily, drove approx. 148'000 km with it. Never had an issue, what a great car! At the begin of 2018 came Maserati and told me the story that they will stop the Granturismo production mid of 2018. For me the last chance to buy this great car again. So I thought about it, because mine already had many miles on the clock. As we all know, the modifications in the last facelift took place mainly in the interior. Finally a new center console with a contemporary multimedia system. Let's face it, the old system comes from the stone age. Since you have to be a very big GT fan to accept this one.

So yes, on pressure of Maserati to stop the production and of course because of the much more attractive interior with the promised new and contemporary multimedia features, I have decided and once again bought a Granturismo Sport for everyday use. Of course, fully equipped with all the add-ons, it was again a really expensive car. I emphasize again, I have bought it for everyday use, I need navigation and telephone. In the old car, I got used to the fact that the navigation is stone age and I telephoned via headphones. So I was looking forward to navigation via Google (much easier targeting, dynamic traffic control, etc.) and a qualitatively superior telephone installation. Finally no headphones to talk on the phone, cool!

The reality looks different now. The Granturismo is still being built and the majority of the new multimedia system does not work. I have paid a lot of money for, in relation for what the product promises say, much worse working car. One thing is already clear to me, I will never buy a Maserati again! And I probably will not drive a Maserati for much longer...

Since Maserati is not able to eliminate the shortcomings (the sayings "it's just an emotional Italian" I can no longer hear), I do not want to give you too much hope.

Is there a thread on the 2018 new tech not working (like blue tooth, ect..)....I have not seen this thread and I have been on this site daily for 2+ years...

Belgrade/Scarborough, Maine USA
2016 GT Rosso Mondiale
post #50 of 66 Old 06-14-2019, 02:35 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 127
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasnam View Post
Is there a thread on the 2018 new tech not working (like blue tooth, ect..)....I have not seen this thread and I have been on this site daily for 2+ years...
I'd be very curious to see/read these as well if they exist! The only issue I have had so far was not being able to get my BT to transfer while on a call with my ex-wife.. being my ex-wife, it made the experience that much more frustrating, but I chalked it up to a fluke/user error. Outside of that, I've not had any issues with the tech.
post #51 of 66 Old 06-14-2019, 04:50 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 38
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I'd be very curious to see/read these as well if they exist! The only issue I have had so far was not being able to get my BT to transfer while on a call with my ex-wife.. being my ex-wife, it made the experience that much more frustrating, but I chalked it up to a fluke/user error. Outside of that, I've not had any issues with the tech.
I've had no issues with Android Auto on my '18. It works quite well!
post #52 of 66 Old 06-15-2019, 07:56 AM

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasnam View Post
Quote:
A few examples: in this car I can not hear voice messages with Apple CarPlay. However, if I nevertheless select this function, the error immediately arises that I then hear the other person talking on the phone, but he does not hear me. This error can then no longer be resolved, only when the car has stopped for a long time and all the system could be reset. If I therefor switch to the bluetooth connection the error persists. So I have to disconnect the phone and make calls via headphones. Unless I turn on a stop with coffee break and give the Italian the necessary time that he can recover. If I connect the phone with bluetooth, the MTC sees the music source, but I can only activate it via the source button on the steering wheel, really funny. Another nice story? The clock in the car can be configured so that it sets itself via satellite. If the car is now in a garage and it loses the satellite connection, the clock stops, in this mode the clock seems to be too stupid just to keep running. It only turns back after a certain travel time. Do I connect the phone via Apple CarPlay in the garage and the clock is in the "stopped mode", it also creates a mistake and the phone can not be connected. Again time for a coffee break.
Or have you ever searched for a place in the Maserati navigation system via POI? Do it. You will bent over with laughter, at how stupid an Italian implements such a function. Google navigation in MTC? To about 50% it leads to a system crash. Interesting: In the Range Rover Sport it works great.

A few weeks ago, my dealer has installed the latest update, has not improved anything. But the car was cleaned for free and I got a coffee, which also has its value.

Bottom line; all very sympathetic and funny features of a true exotic. But my laughter has passed. The funny Italians can use this trash themselves.

I will continue to eat pizza and pasta from the Italians, and I also like their Barolo, Barbaresco and Brunello. But a car from Italy? I will let it be. They are not capable for that.

Or is the charisma of this car stronger than I think? Am I really getting away from this beauty? Maybe I just need it. I will see.
My wife is also beautiful and complicated at the same time. I love her.
post #53 of 66 Old 06-15-2019, 01:13 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,291
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
I would be perfectly happy with the GTs, and for me it’s a daily driver with a round trip commute of two to three hours, even if it had far more ancient technology than it already does ...I can easily do without any sensors ( ok, maybe a coolant temp gauge sensor, and one for the gas tank gauge ) ) but all of the AI that operates the car is complete overkill. Also don’t need navigation maps, no jukebox, no satellite operated clock no bluetooth, none of that crap. Yes, I use the Bluetooth and the iPod connection, and occasionally ( rarely ) the navigation maps only because they’re there, but most certainly don’t need any of that, nor do I ever want something with even more technology in it ; the more technology the greater the chances of something not functioning properly, and breaking down ..even when it’s fairly new. Forget about the cost , it’s the annoyance and frustration that drives you nuts .
So there is my crusty old man opinion on this car which needs nothing more that its superb looks, glorious sound and nearly bulletproof powerplant/drive train.

Last edited by DSGT; 06-15-2019 at 01:50 PM.
post #54 of 66 Old 06-15-2019, 03:58 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 58
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
As far as the bluetooth issues are concerned, I would point the fingers at the phone. This is known out there in the world that certain phones don't behave with certain cars. Borrow friend with a different type of phone and see what happens

2016 Maserati GTS Blue, Grigio Chronos, Full CF MC Corsa interior
2018 Alfa Romeo TiSport Visconti Verde, Chocolate
2016 Range Rover Sport HSE Montalcino Red,Ivory
2012 Mazda Miata GTPRHT
2011 Lotus Evora S Persian Blue, Suedetex
post #55 of 66 Old 06-15-2019, 05:19 PM

InnerCircle

My Bluetooth works perfectly with my iPhone SE, not a single problem with connections, clarity and so on. More proof that archaic technology works best when paired with another archaic technology ..
post #56 of 66 Old 06-16-2019, 08:06 AM

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGT View Post
I would be perfectly happy with the GTs, and for me itís a daily driver with a round trip commute of two to three hours, even if it had far more ancient technology than it already does ...I can easily do without any sensors ( ok, maybe a coolant temp gauge sensor, and one for the gas tank gauge ) ) but all of the AI that operates the car is complete overkill. Also donít need navigation maps, no jukebox, no satellite operated clock no bluetooth, none of that crap. Yes, I use the Bluetooth and the iPod connection, and occasionally ( rarely ) the navigation maps only because theyíre there, but most certainly donít need any of that, nor do I ever want something with even more technology in it ; the more technology the greater the chances of something not functioning properly, and breaking down ..even when itís fairly new. Forget about the cost , itís the annoyance and frustration that drives you nuts .
So there is my crusty old man opinion on this car which needs nothing more that its superb looks, glorious sound and nearly bulletproof powerplant/drive train.
Isn't that your thread? The many nice little challenges with this car seem to interest you after all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGT View Post
I ran a search and although there are a bunch of threads and posts about various problems with the multi media system, this particular one did not appear among them ; while driving , the screen which was on the MAP display at the time, suddenly started to flicker, even go blank for a fraction of a second of a time and then get back to normal, and then flicker again. This went on for about half a minute . Since it was on maps, I thought itís just a temporary satellite reception glitch so I turned it to the radio screen to test that theory but that screen was also flickering ! The sound was not interrupted at all , though . ( I donít have any subscriptions to satellite radio, so that would eliminate the sattelite thing as a culprit I suppose ), so wondering what the heck that was all about. But then it went right back to normal and it was perfectly fine for the entire 45 + minutes remaining drive, no flickering whatsoever . Has anyone experienced that symptom ? Was wondering if this is a sign of the screen display starting to go bad , or just one of those inexplicable Maserati electrical gremlins. Still, no way near as bad as Lucas electonics ( those who have owned older British cars will know all too well what Iím talking about ) but curious what could cause the screen to flicker .

No bashing DSGT, I'm basically with you, I support your statement above. The unique selling point of a Gran Turismo is not boundless electronic gimmick, that's clear. And that's a good thing. The Granturismo is convincing because of his appearance, his casual and cool driving behavior and the wonderful engine with its sound. I knew when I bought one again in 2018 that I pay quite a bit of money for something outdated.

That was already the case when I bought my first GT Sport in 2014. Since the competition has already advertised with all its assistance systems and the seller of Maserati was almost ashamed because the GT Sport had none of it.

Nevertheless, the many small imperfections bother. Because there are many little things that you could do a lot better with relatively little effort. And then I keep asking myself, can I accept that from Maserati? Do I have to have all those annoying garbage just because they are too lazy in Italy? Bloody hell! This brand wants to finally come out of the exotic status, wants to be taken seriously. Then they should finally make an effort.
post #57 of 66 Old 06-16-2019, 01:34 PM

InnerCircle

Well, I only said the Bluetooth feature works well with my iPhone, since that was the latest topic du jour.
As for the whole NIT, it’s more of an annoyance than it is interest, but yes it has peaked my curiosity ; as long as the car came with them ( and as a archaic as they may be ) you’d still think given the price they charge for the components, and for the car overall, whether you consider it exotic, or a luxury model, or a top shelf GT, they’d be of the highest quality built and as reliable as the engine and transmission is.
But I wonder how the electronics are in the Aston Martin DB series, as a comparison ? The DB 9, and more importantly perhaps the DB 11 , to compare a 2018 to another 2018 GT car, albeit one is considerably pricier than the other. Anyone know if the AM has issues as well ? After all we can bash Italians all day long, but the electrical heritage of British cars stems from the nototrius Lucas, so hopefully the heirs of those old mechanics are not the guys working on the Aston line.
Speaking of high price, I understand the Bentley is also far behind in technology, but no word on reliability. Eh, Bentley probably has a rotary dial in car phone
post #58 of 66 Old 06-16-2019, 05:00 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 127
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
"Eh, Bentley probably has a rotary dial in car phone"

Yeah, but it's probably gold plated..
post #59 of 66 Old 06-18-2019, 10:53 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 27
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
After over 470 cars and pretty much having owned everyone mentioned on this thread (some multiple times), I am not sure what the definition of exotic is. Where I live (10 minutes from Algar a within 20 minutes of 4 Porsche dealers), you will see more Porsche's and Ferrari's than corvettes. When I had my 4C I saw only one other one in over a year. When I had my Evora 400 I never saw another one. I bet they probably sold more California's than GT's. I owned a BMW i8 and that was certainly not a normal BMW, was it exotic, I don't think so but it drew a lot of attention. My AMG GTS, gets stares, thumbs up a pictures taken of it all the time, is it exotic. Do you measure exotic, by price, by rarity, (and that can matter geographically) or by its design. The answer is up to you, for me they are just cars.
post #60 of 66 Old 06-18-2019, 11:10 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 58
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlobo941 View Post
lol I don't think you took from my statement the point I was trying to convey. Ultimately what I'm trying to say is that the car looks and performs the part adequately for sure, but is utterly embarrassing to pop the hood, or even talk about the engine. All that being said, I think you're a little over your skis (as is most of the Lotus community) in regard to describing it's capabilities compared to other cars it may compete with. There isn't a C7 Corvette on Earth that can't thrash your Evora by literally every measure, including every aspect of affordability. This, coming objectively from someone who currently owns both.

Go out to a nice restaurant and watch what happens when a C7 and Evora or GTS pull up at same time.....the Evora or GTS stay up front in the one last space.....I am perfectly fine with saying the engine is a bulletproof Toyota btw...did it half dozen times at track yesterday.

2016 Maserati GTS Blue, Grigio Chronos, Full CF MC Corsa interior
2018 Alfa Romeo TiSport Visconti Verde, Chocolate
2016 Range Rover Sport HSE Montalcino Red,Ivory
2012 Mazda Miata GTPRHT
2011 Lotus Evora S Persian Blue, Suedetex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode