LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 05-16-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Car wash? Or hand wash only?

My Alfa 4C is strictly a hand wash car.

But one of the dealers ran the GT through their car wash before showing me. (Cabrio).

Would love to be able to just run my GT through the car wash, what do you guys usually do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 05-16-2019, 02:50 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 742
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Owned two Maserati coupes starting in 2004. Never once did they see a car wash, or rain or snow etc. I am fortunate to go from garage at home to garage at the office. The coupe was white and my GTS is black. However, I am a detail nut and will spend 10 hours or so just on my outside panels yearly. Wash, clay, remove swirls, polish, seal. lol

I hate swirl marks or any marks that obstruct a crystal clear panel reflection.

Car washes will only add swirl marks to your cars finish. You should hand wash only with micro fiber towels from top to bottom. You may also want to consider a two bucket wash.

Then dry with those huge blue or green micro fiber waffle towels. They do not leave streaks or marks.

All the best! C

11 Black GT-S
04 White CC Tubi ( traded )
11 Range Rover Sport
post #3 of 40 Old 05-16-2019, 02:50 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 55
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Unless the auto car wash is one of those "touchless" sprayer types, I would hand wash. Any of those spinning bristle or rubber types can transfer debris from the previous vehicles it washed. I guess it really depends on how OCD you are about your paint. I have friends who use soap in a bucket, no pre-rinse, no separate rinse bucket and go to town. Swirl marks are not a big deal for them, as long as the car is clean they are good to go. As for me, I usually run a wool duster over the car once a week and then spend 15 minutes or so using a waterless wash solution. i do a complete wash every 4 months or so.

post #4 of 40 Old 05-16-2019, 04:58 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
I too do not go through automatic car washes....not event the touchless type, as they often use harsh chemicals. I wash my QP as needed, sometimes weekly...sometimes every 2 or 3 weeks...just depends on the weather and conditions. I wash the wheels & tires first, then do the lower body, and finally the upper body. I use only 1 large bucket but I rinse and wipe it out before going on the the next wash stage. I always prespray the car to remove any loose contaminants, before applying the wash mitt. I rinse the car constantly, try not to "scrub" the paint, wash vertical sections up & down, and horizontal sections front to back. I also follow up the first wash with a second one, by this time the car is getting very clean and water beads off almost like it has a fresh coat of wax...but it is just clean.
post #5 of 40 Old 05-16-2019, 05:08 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Anytime you wash the car (whatever method) or let alone drive, you're gonna get scratches (big or small). It's inevitable and unavoidable. Every year, I clean, clay, and prep the paint. Use machine polish to reduce and remove swirl marks and lastly, ceramic-coat the car. Once your car is ceramic-coated, washing becomes a rare and simple routine....and you can toss out all your waxes and sealants.

2013 Maserati GT MC Convertible: Bianco Eldorado/Nero; Carbon Aero PK; Int. Carbon-Evo I+II; 20% tint; clear bra; Larini sport cats; DBW
2008 Ferrari F430 Spider: Avus Bianco ext/Red leather int; Daytona seats; Carbon dash trim and steering wheel; 20% tint; clear bra; Sport exhaust (LOUD!)
2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano: Nero/Cuoio; F1 superfast trans; Daytona seats
2010 Lambo Gallardo Spider LP560-4: Nero Noctis/Nero
2019 Ferrari Portofino: Rosso Corsa/Nero
post #6 of 40 Old 05-16-2019, 10:25 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 265
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Foaming cannon made from ISS plastics, powered by the breath of 300 angels using filtered water from Lake Garda, sprayed in the pattern of a tertiary (triple) rainbow!!! Only this will suffice

who u r, u r forever....
1998 F355 Berlinetta
2008 535i
2014 GT MC Sportline pkg
post #7 of 40 Old 05-16-2019, 10:37 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 21
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psb1013 View Post
lastly, ceramic-coat the car. Once your car is ceramic-coated, washing becomes a rare and simple routine....and you can toss out all your waxes and sealants.
Agreed!! It makes washing less frequent for sure. You still have to be careful with your wash method as even the ceramic coating can become marred if you don't wash it correctly.
post #8 of 40 Old 05-16-2019, 11:35 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 700
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
I have her wrapped and have never brought her through a wash. If it's your DD and you live in a weather volatile area I get it, cause my DD is an '18 M5 and I solely drive her through the wash.

Current: '17 MC Cabrio
Previous: '13 GTS
post #9 of 40 Old 05-17-2019, 09:33 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 98
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I drive/drove my Maserati through the car wash every other week. Mostly with the highest quality and most extensive cleaning program. Once a year the car is/was being polished up.

You won't believe it, neither melts the car, nor does it rust and it does not lose the color either.

A Granturismo has a very high color quality. Therefore the use of the car wash is no problem at all for this car. On the contrary, a really good car wash removes any dirt very efficiently, even from below. When I sold the car with 148'000km I got above average money for it and the dealer could sell it again immediately. This because the car was very well maintained and looked like that.
post #10 of 40 Old 05-17-2019, 11:32 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 3,605
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
I have to confess I stopped using automatic carwashes pretty much immediately after the first time I had a proper machine polish...

C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
Maserless :(
147 TS
post #11 of 40 Old 05-17-2019, 01:07 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 14
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The 18" rims on my 1996 Carrera 2 got scratched from an automatic car wash many, many years ago. It was before plastic covered rails were widely used. I had to have them repainted because it bothered me when I glanced at them. I've not taken one of my "keeper" cars to an auto car wash since. I did not feel that way about my 2 Hyundais, which are fine cars and kept for 10 years each. They saw auto car washes. My 2012 QP5 GTS is a "keeper". I would think many auto car washes are safe, or safe enough, however. Its obviously a personal choice for me.
post #12 of 40 Old 05-17-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 34
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thanks for all of your advise!

Still not sure ............ but leaning toward washing myself most of the time ..... once in a while through a car wash.

Not my DD and will be covered in between uses, so washing will not be that frequent.

It arrives tomorrow morning!!
post #13 of 40 Old 05-17-2019, 01:54 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 324
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timado404 View Post
Foaming cannon made from ISS plastics, powered by the breath of 300 angels using filtered water from Lake Garda, sprayed in the pattern of a tertiary (triple) rainbow!!! Only this will suffice
I use the same method, except that when I'm washing my car, I sip on holy water imported from the Vatican. Great minds think alike!!

2013 GT Conv Bordeaux Pontevecchio & Cuoio interior
2019 RAM 1500
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
post #14 of 40 Old 05-17-2019, 07:04 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 103
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
My daughter just started working at a car wash.. 1st time I didn't know what the deal was, so it went through the automatic wash. Wasn't bad, but they sucked on getting the rims done. They are black, so it's pretty obvious. The next time I had them do their "hand wash" only to watch in horror as they used one of those scrubbing brooms.. :( I'm on the hunt now for a good hand wash place locally and will probably get her detailed soon so I can undo the stupid scratches they put in with the broom.
post #15 of 40 Old 05-17-2019, 07:44 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 446
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Love my car clean but really not a fan of washing and/or going through a car wash. Discovered a product called ONR, now with 2 gallons of water in my garage and a nice scotch, I can get her nice and shinny in about an hour.

2002 4200 6MT
1984 Biturbo / Sold after 24 years of ownership!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode