Maserati Forum banner

Fuel Reserve

7K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  Jason@ Enzo`s Atlanta 
#1 ·
The manual says the GT has a 20 gal fuel capacity and the reserve is 2gal.

Simple question; Is the 2gal. reserve included in the 20gal. or in addition for a total of 22gal?

#3 ·
I guess the next question is how does the reserve work? Is it just the light coming on?

#5 ·
Thanks Jason, now when someone searches “Fuel Reserve” as I tried, they will get a real answer.

#7 ·
The most important takeaway from this thread, if your GT's are anything like my GS, should get fuel no longer than 10 seconds after the light comes on. I've run both of my 4200's out of fuel before, not 5 miles after the light came on.

#8 ·
The light came on just as I was leaving work today . I drove approx 25 miles with the light on, and when close to home I stopped at my usual station and pumped 21.2 gallons ( US gallons , not imperial ones ) in my tank. So guessing the tank must have a total capacity of 22 gallons.. ( that is, unless the pump is rigged and it reads just slightly more than it actually pumps in so the consumer gets ripped off and has no clue ... which would not really surprise me.. ) . And that fill up was $ 100 ! :frown2: I just thought about our European members who before a fill up must first drive to a bank and rob it, then get some valium or xanax just in preparation for looking at the €€, ££, or whatnot racking up endlessly on that tab...

#11 ·
Come on, I thought ‘this was settled. How do you pump 21.2 gallons in a 20 gallon tank?

#17 ·
I care or I wouldn’t have started the thread. It matters when you’re traveling out west on a Sunday and you can’t find an open gas station. You said 20 gal but “RobP” found otherwise, 21.7 gal. You’re the guru here but please don’t be condescending. In stead of saying “Really? Who cares?” How about saying, “I stand corrected”.

#18 ·
I apologize...That I don't know the fuel capacity of every single car that I work on...and that wasn't your question actually...How about saying I have some common sense? If the fuel light is on then I need fuel. The car has about 2 gallons when the light comes on ...Probably won't matter if it's a 20 or 22 gallon now would it? Nothing condescending...Just facts...Jason

#19 ·
We are from different experiences, I’m an ex pilot and merchant marine captain, So I’ve never relied on fuel gages, never had them on the boats I ran. I instinctively calculate my range but that’s not saying I don’t always try to keep the tank over half full. You’re in Atlanta but out west it can be 30 miles between gas stations and knowing you’re range can make the difference between making the next open station or running out of gas.

#22 · (Edited)
Just wait until Alfieri is released and then we’ll chat about how much charge it takes or how much it has left :wink2:>:)

Back to gas though; it was very odd for me to let it get to the point where the light came on and then instead of pulling into the first station I saw, I continued driving .. I usually fill it up when it’s around the half tank level, out of fear that if I let it get too low on gas, with my luck it’ll be the day when I’m going to get stuck into an hours long traffic jam and run out of gas in the middle of the freeway .

#24 ·
You guys are killing me...First off I can more than take being corrected...I answer a lot of questions and it's possible that I miss something...Please go back and look at the initial post...I didn't state what the tank capacity was...He said the manual stated so and so...I just simply said the total capacity includes the reserve...Tough crowd on here...The advice is free...Cut me a break please....Jason

#26 ·
I think you took my playful jab a little too seriously. Pretty sure 99% of the questions are answered by you on the site. We cant lose you!

mcann2....come up to Maine and avoid the traffic!!!!

Did we meet at the Italian car show 2 years ago?

Jason - you're great! The poster jumped on you way too soon in this thread....you answered fine.

We didnt. We were discussing meeting up when I was going up to Old Orchard Beach but didnt end up taking my car for the trip. We will have to meet up this summer for my next trip up north.

#30 ·
So much wrong with that statement... first, don't move to Colorado, we're full. Second, we only get 91 octane out here, and our cars hate it. Third, we do get a lot of sun, but half of those 65 days per year we have that aren't sunny, apple sized ice balls fall from the f@&$%^! sky, without warning, on days with no precipitation whatsoever in the forecast. Finally, stoners are deplorable.

/rant

#32 ·
Some gas stations in San Francisco are already at $ 5 ( ok, that’s not quite accurate, it’s only $ 4.99 :| ) and that’s for 91 octane ...you’d think at that price we’d at least get 93 octane, which I understand is available in a few other states, and cheaper than $ 5 as well ! There is a station not too far away from my house which sells 100 octane and if I recall, the last time I bought some it was almost $ 8. Only bought about 1/3 of a tank to mix in with the other 2/3 of 91 octane, for some weekend fun runs on scenic roads with the Porsche. If nothing else, it makes the car sound a lot angrier while at WOT. Allegedly it also has a very small positive effect on acceleration, but let’s not open up that proverbial can of worms, or we’ll end up with the same “ debate “ as was in the DBW / performance mod thread. 0:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.