Maserati Forum banner

Ferrari Will Stop Building Engines for Maserati

5K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  BlackMasi 
#1 ·
Due to low Maserati sales volume last quarter, Ferrari has announced it will no longer build engines for the shrinking luxury brand. Ferrari's built every single engine used in Maseratis since 2002 but it looks like that is sadly coming to an end. Every Maserati from the 3.0-liter twin-turbo V-6, a 3.8-liter...

https://apple.news/A-dRYWxU2QfuL2K-vV6pAWA

#2 ·
It will definitely be a sad day when the last Maserati with a Ferrari built engine rolls off the line, but it was Maserati's decision to stop using Ferrari engines. They chose to not renew the contract with Ferrari to build engines. The reporting in the story is incorrect. Ferrari CEO Louis Camilleri during the brand's 2019 first-quarter earnings call. Camilleri confirmed that Maserati would not renew its contract with Ferrari for engines.

#3 ·
Everything released into the media is carefully composed by their PR firm. Nobody really knows who actually petitioned the divorce. I do know that there's no way that Ferrari wants or needs a relationship with a brand with shrinking quality control, repurposing of so many Chrysler parts, etc. The paint quality alone of all the post-2013 models makes them out of place on the Ferrari showroom floor.

#4 ·
I do know that there's no way that Ferrari wants or needs a relationship with a brand with shrinking quality control, repurposing of so many Chrysler parts, etc. The paint quality alone of all the post-2013 models makes them out of place on the Ferrari showroom floor.

Please. Stop. With. This. Bullshit. Already.
I'm sick of all the misinformation, lies, exaggerations, and condescendence.

And this wasn't a PR firm spinning it, it was some stupid journalist that couldn't read a simple transcript, or was hoping for a clickbait-y title, just like the ones that keep on talking about Chrysler parts, quality control and paint quality.

Have a read here: https://www.maseratilife.com/forums/granturismo/121191-no-more-ferrari-engines.html

#8 ·
All engines are build at the Ferrari's factory, and about the painting part... I'm sorry, but that's snobbish. Paint is paint, the only difference is the polishing - something not even Ferrari does "normal" cars.
And as a personal observation, the paintjob on newer cars is way better than on the old ones (even 2015+ GTs). It's just the tech evolving and getting better.

#15 ·
I don't believe this is accurate. I've seen videos of the QP and GTS engines hand built on the Ferrari line and that's why they receive the red crinkled paint. All other Masi models are strictly built by Masi and no red paint.
Also, the GT has the F136 engine...

#11 ·
These forums are a great tool to exchange ideas, knowledge and opinions, but they're not made for PERSONAL insults. Directing any statements with the words 'you' and 'your' puts you at a higher risk than me when it comes to maintaining credibility on this forum. So you can opine how you wish, but please direct those opinions and assumptions to the cars, not the drivers or mechanics. Otherwise, I assure you they will step on your little painted toes alot harder than I just did.

#12 ·
PERSONAL insults? Where are those?

All that me and Peterson asked is for some facts that back up your claims about the paint process.

You have "opinions", I have facts on my side, truth is hardly an insult. You started on the wrong foot with your "opinions" about why the relationship with Ferrari stopped, then continued with the quality control and part sharing ones. All those are objectively wrong, and have been explained in detail by Maserati spokepersons, analysts and industry insiders.
Maserati were the ones to put an end to the Ferrari relationship because it's no longer financially profitable after Marchionne's stunt (Ferrari was making 10-15% of their total revenues from Maserati and Alfa engines), the warranty on those engines falls entirely on Maserati's shoulders and the policy of replacing entire engines instead of repairing them proved way to costly, they also want to move more upmarket and that's hard when half of the cars they sell is made an bought at retail price from another company, and so on.
Quality? That also objectively has gone up, Siemens has redesigned the whole process on modern tech and procedures, which hardly compared with the outdated 80's procedures that were used before. Yes, the very personal handmade feeling has been lost, but quality is way up. Why you might think otherwise is because before 2012 they were struggling to make and move a few hundred to a couple of thousand units a year, now they're selling those numbers in a week (50-60k units each year), and more units mean more defects, even if percentage wise the defects are rarer. Just like Apple. When they move so many units, a defect affecting 0.01% of all their phones suddenly turns into a "gate" scandal simple because how much 0.01% means out of total production.

Part sharing? That's has been debated so many times, I'm sick of it already. Maserati (just like all other small volume manufacturers) has been sharing parts with their parent company since the 70s. Be it Citroen, Fiat, Alfa, FCA, it's nothing new. And, again, objectively, the Mercedes inherited parts they use nowadays (not Chrysler) are orders of magnitude better, more premium and more reliable than the old Fiat and Alfa parts.

So yeah, with the risk of offending you again because I like facts more than feelings, tell us about that paint technique again.

#14 ·
Yes, I remember too that 4200s and QP Vs were painted at Ferrari's factory back in the day - I think they moved the process back to Maserati's facility when GT came out, because Alfa used and still uses Maserati's paint facility, 8C, 4C and special order Breras and 159 like mine were painted there - but this has nothing to do with the "technique".
It's the same robotic process after the body in white has been finished and adjusted by hand, and Grugliasco's paint line is newer than Maranello's one.

The only way to have a "better" paint job is to thoroughly polish it after, which not even Ferrari does on their "normal" non-hyper-cars. Anecdotal evidence from the Ghibli forums and groups is that lot of mechanics and detailers have said they've never seen such a good quality paint except on Rolls Royces - which are hand polished for days.

#16 ·
What? Do you know how much money an engine assembly line cost? Now we have two? Ferrari makes the engines Maserati and some 4.2 cars have blue cam covers...Maserati doesn't currently manufacture engines....Jason

#17 ·
Another reason for the change ...

Maserati's last 5 year plan documents (2018) had them move to plugin hybrids and battery hybrids quite quickly - by 2022. So the need for a Ferrari assembled engine is no longer a requirement. They will be buying kit from somewhere else, maybe Rimac, who knows outside of the factory.

The Ferrari agreement is presumably not part of the strategy.

#22 ·
Makes ours keepers!

#30 ·
I realize many current 6 cyl TT engines can be extraordinarily good, and super-powerful vs. our NA V8, but I simply can't come to terms with anything less than an 8 in a Maserati GT, nor in a Ferrari for that matter.
Nothing tangible to base that on, other than my personal bias..an entirely subjective thing.

Ironically, I did own a 6 cyl Maserati ( Merak ) long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away :smile2:, but in the last couple of years after driving some 6 cyl TT cars than can annihilate our GTs, I would still not trade our V8 for any of those engines. The 6 cyl engines just FEEL weird to me ..the way they revv is not my cup of tea, and also they lack something I can't express other than calling it "soul ". Frankly I even prefer a large capacity 4 cyl (3 L ) to a six because of how the engine feels and revvs.

Furthermore, the turbo muffles the exhaust sound of what is already a pathetic note most six cyl engines produce. And sure, Porsche and a few other top brands have been able to attain very impressive exhaust notes in their six-banger cars but that's just been a fairly recent development. No doubt Maserati will match or exceed that note with any 6 cyl car they might release, but still.. the Ferrari V8 is epic. IMO.

#31 ·
I realize many current 6 cyl TT engines can be extraordinarily good, and super-powerful vs. our NA V8, but I simply can't come to terms with anything less than an 8 in a Maserati GT, nor in a Ferrari for that matter.
Nothing tangible to base that on, other than my personal bias..an entirely subjective thing.
As I pointed many times before, using Ferrari engines it's only a recent thing, so are V8 engines. Maserati's history is rich of inhouse built 6 cylinder engines.

And sure, Porsche and a few other top brands have been able to attain very impressive exhaust notes in their six-banger cars but that's just been a fairly recent development. No doubt Maserati will match or exceed that note with any 6 cyl car they might release, but still.. the Ferrari V8 is epic. IMO.
We have the brilliant F160 engine, which has an exhaust note second to none (well, maybe Jag's V6 in the F-Type is marginally better), why even mention the computer enhanced, fake sounding, engines of Porsche and others?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.