Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 Old 05-12-2019, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 700
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Performance Mods?!

I've been absolutely seduced by this exotic since I first saw one in '08 and then bought my '13 GTS coupe. Since then, I bought a then new '17 MC Cabrio. She is is timeless and stunning in and out and w/ and exhaust note that's second to none. However! I drive an '18 M5 as my daily, that blasts from 0-60 in 2.8 and does 10 sec 1/4 mile! What are the most effective performance upgrades for the Masi, to at least drop a second off the time?...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	file-22.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	122809  

Current: '17 MC Cabrio
Previous: '13 GTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old 05-12-2019, 01:26 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 452
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargepug View Post
I've been absolutely seduced by this exotic since I first saw one in '08 and then bought my '13 GTS coupe. Since then, I bought a then new '17 MC Cabrio. She is is timeless and stunning in and out and w/ and exhaust note that's second to none. However! I drive an '18 M5 as my daily, that blasts from 0-60 in 2.8 and does 10 sec 1/4 mile! What are the most effective performance upgrades for the Masi, to at least drop a second off the time?...
Nitrous.

06 GS //Larini Headers, Larini midpipes, Larini valved rear boxes, FD ECU, FD DBW, BMC.

02 Coupe GT //Kreissieg V1, Evoms tune

Lotus Evora 400 //Komo-Tec 460HP

Porsche Cayenne Turbo //EVOMS GT700 Package with alcohol injection 700+ hp//
post #3 of 93 Old 05-12-2019, 02:52 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,145
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargepug View Post

In my opinion, the 2 "Must-Have" mods for the GT is the DBW (drive-by-wire) enhancement module from FD and Larini sport cats (also from FD). Not only do you increase hp and torque by about 20, but throttle response is massively improved from stock. The car just flies from a standing start, and although I haven't done any official tests on it, I wouldn't be surprised if 0-60 was improved by at least 1/2 sec. That being said, this is still no sports car and guys shouldn't have any delusions about it either. The GT is just too massive and heavy to be anything other than a luxurious sporty cruiser, no matter what mods are on it.

If you're looking for the best all-around car that combines the comfort, good looks, and sound of the GT along with the athletic prowess of a world-class sports car, the Ferrari Portofino is IT! If I had to sell all my cars and keep only 1, it would be the Portofino. It's that good. Not only can you daily drive it but you also have 90% of the performance envelope of a 488. This car is a grand slam for Ferrari.

Performance Mods?!-thumbnail_img_0923%5B1%5D.jpg

2013 Maserati GT MC Convertible: Bianco Eldorado/Nero; Carbon Aero PK; Int. Carbon-Evo I+II; 20% tint; clear bra; Larini sport cats; DBW
2008 Ferrari F430 Spider: Avus Bianco ext/Red leather int; Daytona seats; Carbon dash trim and steering wheel; 20% tint; clear bra; Sport exhaust (LOUD!)
2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano: Nero/Cuoio; F1 superfast trans; Daytona seats
2010 Lambo Gallardo Spider LP560-4: Nero Noctis/Nero
2019 Ferrari Portofino: Rosso Corsa/Nero

post #4 of 93 Old 05-12-2019, 01:07 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
There is no way that it drops by half a second. 20 extra horse might shave a tenth. The dbw makes the car feel more responsive, but if you mash the pedal with or without the dbw, the outcome will be the same. With the dbw, you simply don’t have to be as aggressive with the accelerator in order to get the power.
post #5 of 93 Old 05-12-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvav View Post
There is no way that it drops by half a second. 20 extra horse might shave a tenth. The dbw makes the car feel more responsive, but if you mash the pedal with or without the dbw, the outcome will be the same. With the dbw, you simply donít have to be as aggressive with the accelerator in order to get the power.
Technically what you say is true, but in the real world, the difference is pretty profound. I've had these mods now on my GT for over 2 years and the difference is like night and day over what the car felt like before. I had a loaner (stock) GT a few months ago while my car was getting serviced and it felt like a totally different car. From a standing start and during highway passing, it felt like an eternity to get the loaner car to get up and go. One of these days, I have to get my GT to the track and do some official runs. If only the nearest track wasn't so far from me :(

2013 Maserati GT MC Convertible: Bianco Eldorado/Nero; Carbon Aero PK; Int. Carbon-Evo I+II; 20% tint; clear bra; Larini sport cats; DBW
2008 Ferrari F430 Spider: Avus Bianco ext/Red leather int; Daytona seats; Carbon dash trim and steering wheel; 20% tint; clear bra; Sport exhaust (LOUD!)
post #6 of 93 Old 05-12-2019, 10:42 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 351
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
You are correct. The module does make it "feel" a lot more powerful because, at 1/4 throttle (for example), with the module, it'll give you more than 25% of the cars' power. Reminds me of GM engines of the not so distant past; step moderately on the gas and, wow, pretty decent power. But when you keep pressing, not much more happens.
post #7 of 93 Old 05-12-2019, 10:46 PM

I'll say it again. Nitrous.

06 GS //Larini Headers, Larini midpipes, Larini valved rear boxes, FD ECU, FD DBW, BMC.

post #8 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 02:49 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 322
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psb1013 View Post
In my opinion, the 2 "Must-Have" mods for the GT is the DBW (drive-by-wire) enhancement module from FD and Larini sport cats (also from FD). Not only do you increase hp and torque by about 20, but throttle response is massively improved from stock.
Attachment 122811

The DBW module does not increase hp at all, and I highly doubt the sport cats would increase 20hp.

I had the DBW module and did not feel it made the car faster. It's pretty much the same as stepping on the gas harder.
post #9 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18000rpm View Post
The DBW module does not increase hp at all, and I highly doubt the sport cats would increase 20hp.

I had the DBW module and did not feel it made the car faster. It's pretty much the same as stepping on the gas harder.

Throttle response is a big contributor to the performance of any car and what makes driving enjoyable. The 4.7L V8 is a nice engine but not really suited for a large, heavy GT car where you need a lot of low-mid range torque. (384 ft/lbs for a car weighing over 2 tons is especially inadequate). It's fine for a hi-revving, light sports car like the 430 however. This along with the antiquated 6-sp ZF auto makes throttle response way too lethargic. The Sport cats makes the engine breath a whole lot better and combined with the DBW, you get much improved throttle response. With these mods, my MC just flies from a standing start, even in Normal mode. I swear getting to 60 is quicker than before. As I mentioned previously, I would love to get it to the track one of these days to do some official runs to confirm.

Outside of these mods, probably the best improvement would come from turbocharging. Adding some extra 100-200 ft/lbs would do wonders for this car. That's why I could still never understand why Maserati would take their current best engine (the 590hp 3.8L TTV8) and give it to the Levante Trofeo instead of the GT. It's sacrilegious to think that a SUV would wind up as the halo car for Maserati.

Performance Mods?!-trofeo-engine.jpg
How nice would this badass engine look in a GT?

Last edited by psb1013; 05-13-2019 at 06:20 AM.
post #10 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 06:29 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 322
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Yes a sports exhaust will increase hp, although probably not 20hp.

The DBW does not improve performance at all, only the perception and when you're not at full throttle.
post #11 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18000rpm View Post
Yes a sports exhaust will increase hp, although probably not 20hp.

The DBW does not improve performance at all, only the perception and when you're not at full throttle.

I disagree. As I mentioned previously, DBW improves throttle response significantly which is a big part of overall performance and drivability. It's not just perception. Performance improvements are real. Reflexes are sharper and the car gets to speed much quicker. Before, I had issues just merging onto a highway because the car took forever getting up speed. Now, after DBW, getting up to speed quickly is a piece of cake.

But it's just not my words, FD themselves describes it as such....

Grancabrio Drive By Wire Enhancement Module for Maserati GranCabrio

But if you still think it's all BS, I invite you to a drag race anytime you're in the area and then we'll see......

post #12 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psb1013 View Post
I disagree. As I mentioned previously, DBW improves throttle response significantly which is a big part of overall performance and drivability. It's not just perception. Performance improvements are real. Reflexes are sharper and the car gets to speed much quicker. Before, I had issues just merging onto a highway because the car took forever getting up speed. Now, after DBW, getting up to speed quickly is a piece of cake.

But it's just not my words, FD themselves describes it as such....

Grancabrio Drive By Wire Enhancement Module for Maserati GranCabrio

But if you still think it's all BS, I invite you to a drag race anytime you're in the area and then we'll see......

The only advantage you're going to get from the DBW in a drag race is the time it takes for the throttle body circuit to read 100%, which is probably in the neighborhood of a hundred or so milliseconds. The DBW does wonders for spirited cruising, and at least in the F1 cars gives you snappier shifts, but 100% throttle is 100% throttle regardless of how it's achieved in a drag race.

post #13 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 05:21 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
It takes a lot of power and a lot of $ to knock a full second 0-60 off a car...Jason

ASE Master Tech. 29 years experience
Ferrari, Maserati, Land Rover, & Jaguar technician.
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
post #14 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 05:54 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 127
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Or drop a ton of weight right? I mean that's part of the issue.. the GT is a cow. If you could shed a few hundred pounds, you can shave some of that time.
post #15 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead3121 View Post
Or drop a ton of weight right? I mean that's part of the issue.. the GT is a cow. If you could shed a few hundred pounds, you can shave some of that time.
Old school rule of thumb is 1/10 second per 100 lbs in the quarter mile. It would be interesting to see how quick it would be if you gutted one.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode