post #16 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 06:18 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 127
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead3121 View Post
Or drop a ton of weight right? I mean that's part of the issue.. the GT is a cow. If you could shed a few hundred pounds, you can shave some of that time.
And I qualify my statement of "issue" with.. I know this car isn't a drag car.. not what I bought it for. However, if you want to make her faster, more power and less weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 06:46 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,290
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
To make any SIGNIFICANT impact on this car's performance you either need to supercharge it, turbocharge it, or shed about 500 + lbs . Not a lot of ways you're going to attain that last option without destroying what this car is..

This past weekend I drove a Ferrari Pista. 700 + hp , 570 ft/lbs torque and the damn thing weighs less than 2,900 Lbs. Holy crap ! You step on it at pretty much any RPM level and you feel as you have just been catapulted ; it also sustains that acceleration until you let off. Got back in the GT and felt as if I was driving a snail. Almost made me think about having a Novitech SC installed, but it won't pass smog in California, so I'll just have to be content with the performance as it is, although no real complaints, it's perfectly quick enough for the grand touring vehicle that it is.
post #18 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 07:36 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 127
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGT View Post
To make any SIGNIFICANT impact on this car's performance you either need to supercharge it, turbocharge it, or shed about 500 + lbs . Not a lot of ways you're going to attain that last option without destroying what this car is..

This past weekend I drove a Ferrari Pista. 700 + hp , 570 ft/lbs torque and the damn thing weighs less than 2,900 Lbs. Holy crap ! You step on it at pretty much any RPM level and you feel as you have just been catapulted ; it also sustains that acceleration until you let off. Got back in the GT and felt as if I was driving a snail. Almost made me think about having a Novitech SC installed, but it won't pass smog in California, so I'll just have to be content with the performance as it is, although no real complaints, it's perfectly quick enough for the grand touring vehicle that it is.
Aside from smog, I wonder how much additional maintenance you have to do before the engine tanks..

post #19 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 700
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlobo941 View Post
nitrous.
lmfao!!!!!

Current: '17 MC Cabrio
Previous: '13 GTS
post #20 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 10:32 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,290
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Quote:
Aside from smog, I wonder how much additional maintenance you have to do before the engine tanks..
Good point. I know turbos ( aftermarket ) will shorten the life of the engine quite a bit, but low-moderate boost centrifugal superchargers not so much, although they still takes a toll, more so than a NA engine. Not sure how much boost Novitec generates.
post #21 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psb1013 View Post
In my opinion, the 2 "Must-Have" mods for the GT is the DBW (drive-by-wire) enhancement module from FD and Larini sport cats (also from FD). Not only do you increase hp and torque by about 20, but throttle response is massively improved from stock. The car just flies from a standing start, and although I haven't done any official tests on it, I wouldn't be surprised if 0-60 was improved by at least 1/2 sec. That being said, this is still no sports car and guys shouldn't have any delusions about it either. The GT is just too massive and heavy to be anything other than a luxurious sporty cruiser, no matter what mods are on it.

If you're looking for the best all-around car that combines the comfort, good looks, and sound of the GT along with the athletic prowess of a world-class sports car, the Ferrari Portofino is IT! If I had to sell all my cars and keep only 1, it would be the Portofino. It's that good. Not only can you daily drive it but you also have 90% of the performance envelope of a 488. This car is a grand slam for Ferrari.

Attachment 122811
Thanks for the info and 1/2 second is a massive increase for what you mentioned. Next year i'm turning 50 (SMH) and was willing to drop $250k on something and was initially considering a Portofino and dumping the Masi. However, i'm having second thoughts on dumping it, cause a naturally aspirated F136 is special and a thing of the past, plus all the sex appeal I mentioned in original post. I have friends in the Ferrari world and they still say the Porto is "shunned upon", because it's a gloried Cali T and front engine. So I'm thinking to wait to buy the new Tri 8 that's replacing the 488.

post #22 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvav View Post
You are correct. The module does make it "feel" a lot more powerful because, at 1/4 throttle (for example), with the module, it'll give you more than 25% of the cars' power. Reminds me of GM engines of the not so distant past; step moderately on the gas and, wow, pretty decent power. But when you keep pressing, not much more happens.
Is it a "seat of pants" feeling?!

post #23 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psb1013 View Post
Throttle response is a big contributor to the performance of any car and what makes driving enjoyable. The 4.7L V8 is a nice engine but not really suited for a large, heavy GT car where you need a lot of low-mid range torque. (384 ft/lbs for a car weighing over 2 tons is especially inadequate). It's fine for a hi-revving, light sports car like the 430 however. This along with the antiquated 6-sp ZF auto makes throttle response way too lethargic. The Sport cats makes the engine breath a whole lot better and combined with the DBW, you get much improved throttle response. With these mods, my MC just flies from a standing start, even in Normal mode. I swear getting to 60 is quicker than before. As I mentioned previously, I would love to get it to the track one of these days to do some official runs to confirm.

Outside of these mods, probably the best improvement would come from turbocharging. Adding some extra 100-200 ft/lbs would do wonders for this car. That's why I could still never understand why Maserati would take their current best engine (the 590hp 3.8L TTV8) and give it to the Levante Trofeo instead of the GT. It's sacrilegious to think that a SUV would wind up as the halo car for Maserati.

Attachment 122829
How nice would this badass engine look in a GT?
So agree Trofeo wise and hasn't the GT been discontinued?!

post #24 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] Enzo`s Atlanta View Post
It takes a lot of power and a lot of $ to knock a full second 0-60 off a car...Jason
Understood, I was definitely over zealous in my initial request! Driving an M5 everyday, that sucks the eyeballs to the back of your head in launch mode, jades you!

post #25 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Or drop a ton of weight right? I mean that's part of the issue.. the GT is a cow. If you could shed a few hundred pounds, you can shave some of that time.
My '18 M5 is a cow too, but w/ 600/580 and awd, it's a demon!

post #26 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
And I qualify my statement of "issue" with.. I know this car isn't a drag car.. not what I bought it for. However, if you want to make her faster, more power and less weight.
Not looking to drag at all and I love it's GT nature. Just want more power at this point. I think the MC is as light as it can be, so I'll just add the suggestions from here and see where it takes me!

post #27 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGT View Post

I don't want to ruin it's natural aspiration, it's part of the Masi's appeal to me. I have same good problem as you, cause my DD is am '18 M5, which is unreal....

post #28 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 10:49 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Due to where my project is, my 4.2 can probably beat a 4.7 to 60 because of all the bits im missing (interior, back seats headliner and whole front end and hood are removed) probably adds up to 400-500 lbs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6354_1557787751121.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	558.4 KB
ID:	122835  

High school student
First time Maserati owner
Kurt
post #29 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 10:49 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 452
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargepug View Post
lmfao!!!!!
It's not a joke. I've been spraying on my Coupe GT regularly since 2013, and haven't had a single problem. Progressive 100 hp direct port wet kit with standalone secondary fuel system running pure methanol. Car runs and drives like stock until you activate the system, and the whole thing was built and installed for around $1500.

06 GS //Larini Headers, Larini midpipes, Larini valved rear boxes, FD ECU, FD DBW, BMC.

02 Coupe GT //Kreissieg V1, Evoms tune

Lotus Evora 400 //Komo-Tec 460HP

Porsche Cayenne Turbo //EVOMS GT700 Package with alcohol injection 700+ hp//
post #30 of 93 Old 05-13-2019, 11:01 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargepug View Post
Understood, I was definitely over zealous in my initial request! Driving an M5 everyday, that sucks the eyeballs to the back of your head in launch mode, jades you!

Yeah, but it is still a BMW...Some of the worst luxury cars there are these days...Be glad you have a warranty.. Jason

ASE Master Tech. 29 years experience
Ferrari, Maserati, Land Rover, & Jaguar technician.
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode