Alignment frequency - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-23-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Alignment frequency

How often do you guys get alignments done on your GTs? Just when things start pulling to the left or right, or do you do it regularly for preventative maintenance? As for that preventative maintenance, I'm referring specifically to tire wear--I paid the price (literally and figuratively) when I waited too long for an alignment and had a tire blow out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-23-2019, 05:25 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,138
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
I don't know what others do or may recommend, but with respect to alignments I typically follow the : " if there is no problem, leave it alone " philosophy , so for me there are no preventive maintenance alignments.
I will only do alignments if the car pulls toward one direction or the other, or if the tires wear unevenly, or, if I hit a pot hole deep enough or the impact is hard enough where it's almost certain the suspension was affected by that.

Last edited by DSGT; 04-24-2019 at 01:38 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-23-2019, 06:19 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,185
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
+1....If it is not pulling or wearing the tires uneven leave it alone...Jason

ASE Master Tech. 29 years experience
Ferrari, Maserati, Land Rover, & Jaguar technician.
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-23-2019, 07:05 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
This is one case where "if it isn't broken don't fix it" really applies. Years ago I drove cheap American cars and they were constantly going out of alignment. I had to get alignments done as a matter of routine maintenance. Now my QP has not had an alignment done in many years, so far as I know. I don't even know if it has ever had an alignment, possibly not because it has never had suspension repair performed. The suspension and alignment on these cars is really robust.

2005 Quattroporte
Fresno, CA
post #5 of 11 Old 04-23-2019, 07:36 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 160
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
If the tires are wearing odd or the car is pulling one way. Car isn’t pulling any which way but my two front inner tires are definitely eating thru tires so it’s actually in the shop right now for 2 front tie rods and an alignment. I was worried it would cost an arm and a leg since many posts noted they typically won’t just sell the tie rods and you have to buy a whole steering rack, but this shop was able to source 2 tie rods from Maserati at 99.95 per tie rod. That + alignment + new windshield wipers = $572.

Bit inflated pricing IMO, but way better than the usual ‘Maserati tax’ so I gleefully accepted the price.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-23-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 42
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
All great points in here--thanks, everyone. My GT definitely isn't pulling, so I'll just keep an eye on the inside tire wear as a gauge. I do the winter/summer tire swap twice yearly, so that's always an opportunity to get an alignment done if I need it, but sounds like there's no sense in doing it if there's no apparent issue at all.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-24-2019, 02:40 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timing View Post
If the tires are wearing odd or the car is pulling one way. Car isn’t pulling any which way but my two front inner tires are definitely eating thru tires so it’s actually in the shop right now for 2 front tie rods and an alignment. I was worried it would cost an arm and a leg since many posts noted they typically won’t just sell the tie rods and you have to buy a whole steering rack, but this shop was able to source 2 tie rods from Maserati at 99.95 per tie rod. That + alignment + new windshield wipers = $572.

Bit inflated pricing IMO, but way better than the usual ‘Maserati tax’ so I gleefully accepted the price.
Granturismo eating through the inner shoulders on the front tires is pretty normal, it's due to the factory alignment spec. Some people back off the toe-in to help that.

2005 Quattroporte
Fresno, CA
post #8 of 11 Old 04-24-2019, 03:27 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 101
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
It's the toe-out that's the problem...needs to be changed to slight toe-in. Mine have inners worn so will be doing this myself soon. Specs copied from prior thread....

Factory Alignment Settings
Front Toe: -2mm (Total Toe Out) ****Per Jason above and other sources, DO NOT TOE OUT! On the toe, it should actually have slight toe-in...about +.25
Rear Toe: +4mm (Total Toe In) **** Reduce Toe towards neutral if wearing prematurely
Front Camber: -0°30’
Rear Camber: -1°30’
Castor: Stock Setting (typically +4 35' +- 6')
post #9 of 11 Old 04-24-2019, 03:58 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 645
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timing View Post
typically won’t just sell the tie rods and you have to buy a whole steering rack, but this shop was able to source 2 tie rods from Maserati at 99.95 per tie rod.
where!!? I need an inner. are you sure you didn't just get the outer? i.e. does it look like a 7" rod or a 4" thing with a ball on the end?

very much need the former, the latter can be easily attained (I got an end for $80 when mine literally snapped just cruising along the freeway).

and yes -- NO TOE OUT! don't listen to anyone who says "do the factory specs". toe to 0° or even slightly in.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-24-2019, 05:12 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 160
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I’ll ask the shop when I go to pick it up (today or tomorrow I’m hoping - waiting on their call). They stated it was the tie rod / estimate noted ‘two front tie rods’ they made it sound like the whole tie rod but I’ll confirm. They had to call all over to find them but finally found a Maserati dealer I think that was able to source them. I’ll let you know what they say when I go to pick it up

(Edit: the estimate paperwork says ‘both front tie rod assembly’s’ which makes me think it’s the whole tie rod (inner and outter?) but I’m clueless on this so I’ll ask them when it’s done and I go to pick her up.)

Last edited by timing; 04-24-2019 at 05:33 PM.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-25-2019, 04:38 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 645
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Alignment frequency

I bet it was just the outer. you don't really replace the inner unless they're bent. I got mine from these guys -- highly recommended:

http://www.awitalian.com/Tie-Rod-End_p_4778.html

if it is the inner though, by all means let me know!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode