LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-31-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,288
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Wheel rim protection

Has anyone heard of, seen , or used these ? ( link below ) I never put a curb rash on any of my cars wheels but I hand both the Maserati and my Porsche over to hotel , or restaurant , or parking garage valets enough to worry about them scraping the wheels . I realize theyíre liable if they do that but the hassle getting stuff repaired is not worth it . Happened once with one of my cars, while I was out of town with it , and the drama of getting fixed was infuriating, to say the least .
Iím thinking if theyíre a easy on - easy off fitting , it may work on days where you think you might need them. And for those that like the color accent on car wheels maybe just leave them on permanently
https://www.rimbladesusa.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-31-2019, 01:46 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)

ASE Master Tech. 29 years experience
Ferrari, Maserati, Land Rover, & Jaguar technician.
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-31-2019, 04:51 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 681
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
kinda awesome that it's the MC wheel on the RimSavers box:

post #4 of 16 Old 03-31-2019, 06:40 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,359
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Well, they look silly to me, and they won't succeed at protecting the wheel from curb contact in many cases. The only thing it will save is if you just brush gently up against a curb with the lip of the wheel, which a lot of tires protect you from anyway. I have seen most curb rash affects the wheel faces, like the spokes etc. which will contact deep curbs easily. Most of the damage to my wheels comes from tire shops banging them with their wrenches and tools or letting them fall onto their face (always a fun one).

2005 Quattroporte
Fresno, CA
post #5 of 16 Old 03-31-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] Enzo`s Atlanta View Post
@Jason - ha, I was also thinking this is not all that far down the “tacky” scale from those 70s or 80s era curb feelers , but for the short drive to and from those places where I give the car to the valet , many of which will be when it’s dark out anyway, who is going to judge..? Maybe some matching color fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror will be matching touch . Also not sure if the colors are really as bright as the photo shows them to be or that’s mostly for the effect of advertising, maybe they’re just a bit more muted ( hopefully ) But I have not read how they’re affixed on the wheel, and if it’s really an easy on / off / on again repeatable application, for an unlimited amount of times . If it’s more “ permanent “ , forget it .

@Sean - looking at the photo it does look as if the tire protrudes out substantially more than the rim and that protector won’t do much at all, but my Michelin pilot sport 4 S tires are almost flush with the wheel, there is hardly any lip there to help. I remember some brands ( I think Continental , Goodyear and Yokohama ) did make tires at one point with a lip big enough to offer curb rash protection, but don’t know if that’s the case anymore . So even if it’s a little maybe it could help. Interestingly, I have not seen curb rashes on wheel faces and spokes, most I noticed have been right on the very top of the wheel rim’s edge where the tire lip should protect you, but like I said, depends on the tire ..

@Aaron - right you are, of all the wheels they could have picked for the box advert ..almost looks like a OE option Maserati might have had for those who want even more attention than the car by itself brings Hey, and for those who have CF trim on their MCs, they might even make a carbon fiber style instead of all those colorful choices .

Last edited by DSGT; 03-31-2019 at 07:50 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-31-2019, 01:57 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Put them on My Jaguar F type 3 years ago. You have to splice the 2 ends together where they match up. There was always a gap
that never looked good. They started to come off and when they do you are left with a gluey mess that is a PITA to remove.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-31-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

InnerCircle

Thanks for the info . For the brief use I intended I could have lived with the small gap, but no way am I putting up with a gluey mess . So much for that idea, back to plan B which might be to lecture valets before they get the key . Many years ago a restaurant valet put a curb rash on one of my Porsches in Southern California , and I did not notice until I got home which is 400 + miles away in Northern California . Learned my lesson and now I walk around the car and inspect everything before I drive away . It won’t prevent things from happening but I’ll be able to deal with it there and then if it does.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-31-2019, 07:22 PM

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGT View Post
Thanks for the info . For the brief use I intended I could have lived with the small gap, but no way am I putting up with a gluey mess . So much for that idea, back to plan B which might be to lecture valets before they get the key . Many years ago a restaurant valet put a curb rash on one of my Porsches in Southern California , and I did not notice until I got home which is 400 + miles away in Northern California . Learned my lesson and now I walk around the car and inspect everything before I drive away . It wonít prevent things from happening but Iíll be able to deal with it there and then if it does.
Maybe if you got wider tires put on, they would stick out a bit more and be more protective of the wheel lip. I find that Maserati factory tire sizes are like a couple sizes two small for the wheels for some reason.

2005 Quattroporte
Fresno, CA
post #9 of 16 Old 03-31-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

InnerCircle

Hmm, now there’s a good thought ..I’ll look into that when my tires are due for a change .
post #10 of 16 Old 03-31-2019, 07:51 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 291
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Hmm, now thereís a good thought ..Iíll look into that when my tires are due for a change .
I went to a 295 vs. the stock 285 on the rear, 10mm wider will give you a tad bit more protection. Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190331_154118.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	122141  

who u r, u r forever....
1998 F355 Berlinetta
2008 535i
2014 GT MC Sportline pkg
post #11 of 16 Old 03-31-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

InnerCircle

The bonus is also that it will fill the wheel well better and make the stance a bit more aggressive, without using spacers. Definitely a consideration for my next tires. Will have to go under size up in the fronts also.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-01-2019, 04:08 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 681
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
the stradale comes with 255/295 instead of 245/285 on the same wheel. I've run them, and am right now, but they do wierd things with tramlining. that said, my suspension is all messed up, so you'll probably be fine.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-01-2019, 06:17 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 291
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I have had zero issues with the 295 on the rear!

who u r, u r forever....
1998 F355 Berlinetta
2008 535i
2014 GT MC Sportline pkg
post #14 of 16 Old 04-01-2019, 08:20 PM

InnerCircle

Quote:
Hmm, now thereís a good thought ..Iíll look into that when my tires are due for a change .
Which can't be too far in the future, knowing these cars...

2005 Quattroporte
Fresno, CA
post #15 of 16 Old 04-01-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

InnerCircle

Thereís a whole bunch of things that affect tramlining ..tire tread design ( most ultra high performance tires have a propensity for that) tire width for sure, but even the degree of sidewall stiffnes, or both the camber and toe setting on your alignment can contribute, so too many things to factor in. One bigger size up might make a difference depending on the tire , but not sure by itself it will make all the difference .
The front tires are generally the ones that do the ď hunting ď , but if I go larger on the rears and not the fronts also, the appearance might be too stark, I donít want my GTs to look like an Aston Martin One-77. Iíd like it to have the market value of that car , just not look like it ..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode