Maserati Forum banner

Adding another "horse" to the stable...

5K views 45 replies 15 participants last post by  akluch 
#1 ·
Heard my local F dealer had the new Portofino in today so I went there and took it for a spin.....:surprise:Wow!.....I was instantly smitten! I knew I had to have it. THIS is the most perfect GT (or car for that matter) I've ever driven! It's essentially a 430/458 and the Maser GT rolled into one. The ride is as smooth as a Bentley GT and yet it's athletic and fast as any dedicated supercar. It's also, in my opinion, one of the most gorgeous modern cars in existence.....yes, even better than my beloved GT. Ferrari really hit a homerun as far as the design and drivability......so superior in every way than the old California or Cali T. It's too bad Maserati can't get its act together and build cars like this.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Auto show

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Red Automotive design

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Steering wheel

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats ! You really like it better than your 599 Fiorano, eh ? That says a lot about the car , every Ferrari owner I know that have driven many models from old to new have stated there is no better car on the planet than the 599. Not even La Ferrari, other than the speed factor that is . But sounds like this one is just about all around perfect .

#5 ·
The main highlight of front engine F cars like the 575/599/F12/812 is the V12 engine. That's it. Everything else is an afterthought. I personally think the exterior design of these cars, including my 599, is really not that great. They're certainly not what you call "beautiful" compared to the mid-engine cars and also to the new Portofino.

The 599 is technically a GT car but the new Portofino does the GT part so much better. The ride is a hundred times better, it's actually faster 0-60 (and has 600hp!), has more features, more reliable, and just more daily-drivable. The 599 wins slightly on the exhaust department due to the incredible NA V12 engine, but the exhaust note on the Porto is no joke either. (It's much more aggressive than the old Cali which was a surprise). Ferrari has really done an incredible job with their turbo 8-cyl. engines. (I think their turbo 8-cyl. won "Engine of the Year" last year or the year prior). The torque on these motors is just mind-blowing, not to mention the instant response with virtually no turbo lag. The new 488 Pista puts out over 700hp which is insane! The fact that these turbo 8-cyl. F cars can now easily out-perform an Enzo would've been unthinkable just a few years ago.

It's just really a shame that Maserati didn't have the balls to put Ferrari's wonderful 3.9L TT V8 into the GT and give it new life. Instead, they wasted it on a big, heavy SUV called the Trofeo. (A legendary name like that belongs on the GT not a frickin truck!). The Alfieri brothers would be turning in their graves.

#8 ·
Well from the first time I saw it few things struck me:
It looks too tall/heavy especially in the front, too much a Cali influence.
The countless winglets, spoilers, half/spoilers are too distracting and make it difficult to comprehend the design as a whole
The smiley face front and grill are out dated and poorly thought through.
The headlights are out dated maybe circa 2010 design and poorly thought through.

The lack of N/A V12 on a Ferrari caliber GT is a joke. I think that's it ;-)

#9 ·
It's not supposed to be low like a 488, it's a GT after all.

Of course it has some Cali influence because it's supposed to be its replacement, not a totally different model type.

The front grill carries over some influence from the Cali. I see nothing wrong with it. Again, this is a GT. It's not supposed to mimic the mid-engine cars in design.

The Portofino is Ferrari's "entry-level" car. The V12 is reserved for their top-of-the-line models like the 812. In any case, when the V8 makes 600hp, and does 0-60 in 3.2 sec., what's there to complain?......you're just a hater. :animal-smiley-045:

#17 ·
Sorry for the all the drama, folks!

Ever since joining this forum back in 2016, it's been an overall great experience and probably one of the best online car forums I've been in. I've come to know so much about my GT and the world of Maserati. Many thanks to long-time members like DSGT, newmas, SeanFulop, lcdave, badhobz, Catmanv2, ItalianGrowl, Jason, and others for making this forum so informative and enjoyable. While I love sharing info. and discussing about cars, it's the once-in-a-while personal insults (from certain offenders.....you know who you are) that sometimes darkens the experience (and can deter people from posting).

#20 ·
What am I , chopped liver?:grin2: I’d have to see and hear the Portofino in person to really comment on what my impressions are. Regardless, enjoy it and the rest of your amazing stable of cars. I’m on the hunt again for something special, but it’s got to have AWD.

#22 ·
Ah, jealousy and bitterness even here among the relatively well-heeled.

Congrats to @psb1013 for your acquisition, I'd like to try one sometime.
I guess if it's not daisies and unicorns it must be jealousy and bitterness for some. No such a thing as an opinion about a car design in their mind....
Unless I missed the forum rule it does not say that every car discussed here must be praised. Does it?

#26 ·
It's not that design critique is unwelcome, but it seems rude to respond with a harsh assessment when someone just proudly announced that they bought one. It's like "check out my new suit!" "It's ugly."
That's is true, I have to agree. I just happen to have strong opinions about designs, maybe because I have been designing industrial products for many years. PSB, this is absolutely, positively, unequivocally my personal opinion about the car. You are absolutely entitled to love it to death. Best of luck with it to you!!!!:thumbsup:
Soooo...I agree -that was rude and I 'm sorry about that, could have definitely been less blunt.
In that case however where did the "bitterness and jealousy" come from?

#23 ·
I did sell it unfortunately. Wouldn’t make it up the steep driveway of the new lake house without scraping the front spoiler all up, so had to sit outside getting trees sap and crap on it, closest tech (Jason) two hours away in each direction for any service needs, warranty expiring etc etc. Hated to see her go, put almost 45,000 on the odometer over 3.5 years, all pretty much trouble free, but just became too impractical. However, still love the cars, my experience with the GT, and the forum with all the personalities, opinions and knowledge. Pretty sure I’ll own another one day. In the mean time it may have to be a much uglier but very capable Panamera GTS with the adjustable ride height for the driveway, AWD, and Porsche build quality and driving dynamics. I’m in no hurry so... Sure am envious of your garage!!����

#25 ·
I did sell it unfortunately. Wouldn’t make it up the steep driveway of the new lake house without scraping the front spoiler all up, so had to sit outside getting trees sap and crap on it, closest tech (Jason) two hours away in each direction for any service needs, warranty expiring etc etc. Hated to see her go, put almost 45,000 on the odometer over 3.5 years, all pretty much trouble free, but just became too impractical. However, still love the cars, my experience with the GT, and the forum with all the personalities, opinions and knowledge. Pretty sure I’ll own another one day. In the mean time it may have to be a much uglier but very capable Panamera GTS with the adjustable ride height for the driveway, AWD, and Porsche build quality and driving dynamics. I’m in no hurry so... Sure am envious of your garage!!����
That's too bad about your GT. No wonder I haven't seen you around here in a long while. Will sure miss your posts. You were one of first members to welcome me here very warmly when I joined the club with my first GT and I'll remember that very fondly for a long time.

Congrats on the Panamera. What matter what anybody says about its looks, no one can doubt its brilliant capabilities. It's a very solid all-weather daily driver, much more so than the GT that's for sure. (But being in Florida, are you sure you need AWD?)

Happy trails and hopefully I see you around here one day with a new GT!

#28 ·
Congrats to your Portofino, certainly currently the Ferrari with the best all-round characteristics. There is a reason why this model is the best selling Ferrari. This is not just about the price. We will see what Maserati will offer us as a successor to the GT. I was told that they will copy the Portofino concept (the Alfieri will occupy a different market segment than the successor to the GT). But as it is with Maserati, a lot of chattering, there is no reliance on their announcements. That's why you did everything right. ;)

#30 · (Edited)
767Driver makes a good point. I think the one thing people neglect to emphasize nowdays is that despite the capabilities of cars getting so much more advanced, the roads haven't caught up. Especially around urban centers (incl. where I live) it's utter crap. During summer months, I have to drive about 100+ miles into rural Wisconsin to find good, open roads to drive my weekend cars.

I own a few rental properties in the West Coast, but it's a super pain in the ass to haul my cars there the few occasions out of the year to experience the great open roads there. Talking to my local Ferrari rep. the other day, he says the no. 1 reason why a lot of his local clients end up selling their F cars after a short while is not because the cars are not good, but the realization of the sheer dearth of good roads to drive in (not to mention the crappy weather that results in cars sitting 6 mo. out of the year). Without the right "software" (roads), the "hardware" (cars) has little purpose.

I gotta get out of Chicago/Illinois one of these days!

If it wasn't for my family and my businesses, I would've left a long time ago.

Illinois = 2nd highest property tax in the nation + 2nd highest state income tax in the nation + most corrupt state govt. in the nation

#35 ·
Heard my local F dealer had the new Portofino in today so I went there and took it for a spin.....:surprise:Wow!.....I was instantly smitten!
Congratulations!! Enjoy it in good health. Such a gorgeous design, such a superb handling, such a super fast car (including a monster 3.2 for 0-60), such a special model (hard top and convertible). It is one of the top cars on the planet. The front grille is so pretty too.

Are you keeping the GT? If there is no tall driver, how are the back seats for a short trip?

I considered a 2015 California last year. But went back to Maserati (now with a Ghibli S after owning a Quattroporte, may be a Levante S in the future to replace the Range Rover). I was looking at other Ferraris too but only a daily-drivable car interests me (California, FF, ...). Will you use it regularly?

:thumbsup:

#37 ·
Thanks for the compliments.

I'm keeping the GT for now. I'm tempted every now and then to get rid of it (and get a better daily), but something about the allure of this car makes it pretty difficult for me to part with it.

I may end up giving it to my brother-in-law who takes some of my other cars down to Arizona in the winter-time to keep them "loose and limber." (I hate to see cars sitting in the garage for long periods of time. It's very bad for them).

The back seats on the GT are just ok in my opinion. It's certainly a lot bigger than in the California. Small or average-size adults may be ok with it on short trips, but may be uncomfortable on long ones.

I plan on daily driving the Porto as much as possible (and relieve some of the duties on the GT which was my daily). The ride quality on the Porto is surprisingly excellent. Much better than even the GT. You need to test-drive one when you get the chance. You'll be amazed at the capabilities of this car. Probably the most well-rounded Ferrari ever made.

#39 ·
Maaaaaaan, if it were appropriate to kiss my screen at work I would. That Porto is GORGEOUS!! I love love love the headlights and the lines of the hood!! Maserati could certainly take a lot of lessons from that design. Congrats, brother.

PS. Dont feed the trolls, leave em under the bridge and keep on cruisin' in that beautiful car of yours

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.