Audio system upgrade for GTS - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 02-07-2019, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Audio system upgrade for GTS

I own a 2014 Gran Turismo Sport. I love the care but I'm tired of the poor microphone and having to use Bovee for Bluetooth. I'm going to replace the entire system with something more state of the art.

Does anyone have advice on the best system to use which fits in the space? I'm in Westlake Village, CA. Any vendor recommendations would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 02-08-2019, 11:33 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 17
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Radio upgrade

As my GT in sleeping through the winter. I am in the process of making my own radio upgrade. I am installing a 9" android touch screen system to replace both the radio and original display.
I have been looking for upgrades in the net and you tube but not found any real good installs. all have cutting or modifying or used the original display. But the quality of the displays today are much better than the original so I am getting the center panel redesigned to fit the 9" display.
My plan is to make a kit that everybody can order. I will move the original radio system to the trunk in order not to get error codes and alarms in your dash display. The radio will be positioned in the battery compartment and the display in the right wheel cover under the lid.
Everything will come as a plug and play without having to cut or solder any wires. ( have access to all the tools to make the connectors at work)
So far I have been sourcing all the correct connectors to make custom harness.
I have 3D scanned the original panel and is designing a new panel that can be 3D printed.
I am also investigating the CAN controls regarding the Steering wheel controls in order to get them working.

keep you posted on the progress
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-02-08 13.20.08.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	121105  
post #3 of 46 Old 02-08-2019, 12:27 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Garage
Franz,

I am planning on tackling the Android headunit and audio upgrade once things warm up a little bit here in VA. I read an entire thread on here from a guy that did it and it was fantastic work and made a WORLD of difference to achieving a more contemporary aesthetic for our car. I have my shopping list all ready to go and am excited to get started. I have some decent experience with system installs from my younger years so I am really hoping some of the old knowledge is still in my head somewhere. I think, wiring drama aside, fabricating the double din surround piece and making it look factory will be the most challenging part.

Any wiring harness design that will make the NIT relocation and new Android unit easier to install to a PROPER amp in place of the bose would be truly wonderful. And of course, a clean looking Double Din faceplate.....My credit card is ready when you are, brother!

Keep us posted on your progress and lots of pics (ESPECIALLY THE DASH!!)

~Chaz

Maserati GranTurismo = Automotive Lust

2013 Maserati GranTurismo Sport

post #4 of 46 Old 02-08-2019, 02:09 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 315
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzbetula View Post
As my GT in sleeping through the winter. I am in the process of making my own radio upgrade. I am installing a 9" android touch screen system to replace both the radio and original display.
I have been looking for upgrades in the net and you tube but not found any real good installs. all have cutting or modifying or used the original display. But the quality of the displays today are much better than the original so I am getting the center panel redesigned to fit the 9" display.
My plan is to make a kit that everybody can order. I will move the original radio system to the trunk in order not to get error codes and alarms in your dash display. The radio will be positioned in the battery compartment and the display in the right wheel cover under the lid.
Everything will come as a plug and play without having to cut or solder any wires. ( have access to all the tools to make the connectors at work)
I have 3D scanned the original panel and is designing a new panel that can be 3D printed.
I am also investigating the CAN controls regarding the Steering wheel controls in order to get them working.

Wow...that sounds like an ambitious plan! Keep us posted on your progress!!
post #5 of 46 Old 02-18-2019, 05:18 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 27
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzbetula View Post

I am in the process of closing a deal on a 2013 GT MC and this is one of the first upgrades on my list. I have actually been looking for a plug-and-play type of harness for these cars but nothing so far. If you are making a harness for radio upgrade, my credit card would also be ready when you are...

As for the actual upgrade, I am leaning towards leaving the original display in there as is and only replacing the radio with a single-DIN system. Specifically, the Alpine Halo9 system. My list would probably be something along the line of:

1. Head Unit: Alpine iLX-F309 ($899)
2. Front and Rear Cameras: Alpine HCE-C2600FD & HCE-C2600RD ($299 each)
3. Video Selection module: Alpine KCX-C250MC ($199)
4. Steering Wheel Controls: If the Alpine HU isn't setup for it
5. Audio upgrades: Will decide once I actually have the car in my possession

Even with just the basics, I am at about $1,700. I can see the parts total getting up to $2-3K easily depending on what else I decide to upgrade. I'd be doing the upgrade myself so labor cost is not involved.

Anywho...if you guys want to see how that Alpine unit looks, below are some videos:
(Also attached are pictures from Alpine's Facebook page. They are from the 2016 GTS vert done by Fantazy Motorsports)

(Audiofile-Incar based in UK)
https://youtu.be/VH_45LE3oVQ

(Fantazy Motorsports based in CA, USA)
https://youtu.be/oPhHaGFNzdo
https://youtu.be/ATBScYMFSpw
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Alpine Halo9 in Maserati GT 2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	121343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpine Halo9 in Maserati GT.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	121345  
post #6 of 46 Old 02-18-2019, 07:46 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 72
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Seems pretty invasive to leave the stock screen in place. What about the Navi Plus setup? Seems like a better use of the in place screen. Unless there are other benefits that come with this unit that I'm not picking up on?
post #7 of 46 Old 02-18-2019, 08:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead3121 View Post
Seems pretty invasive to leave the stock screen in place. What about the Navi Plus setup? Seems like a better use of the in place screen. Unless there are other benefits that come with this unit that I'm not picking up on?
If my understanding is correct, the Naviplus install uses the OEM screen for display so it would be limited by the size and resolution of the stock screen. In other words, 7" of usable screen and resolution is not HD. I can't imagine putting that much time and money into an upgrade and still ending up with a small, non-HD screen.

Anyways, despite the invasive install, I would be okay leaving the OEM screen as is because: 1) avoid having to relocate it somewhere else and 2) keep the car from freaking out. From the look of the Alpine install, I doubt the factory screen would be very visible once the aftermarket screen is installed. The Alpine unit can be adjusted for height/angle so good chance you can get it close enough to cover up the original screen. This method would keep involved wiring to a minimum and I assume a simple harness would be enough to allow the Alpine to tap into the speakers/amp/antenna/etc.

All of the above are assumptions on my end obviously but I don't see why it would not be possible.
post #8 of 46 Old 02-18-2019, 08:25 PM

Garage
I bought a salvaged dash and I am going to fabricate a double din faceplate that looks like factory. Once I have everything out of the car I will see what room I have to play with. I have seen a few installs that looked REALLY good except for the orientation of the headunit(see below). Those sit low leaving this large space at the top which effects the stock look of the install. I think this is due to the CD player aspect of the hardware. The unit I will be using will be an Android unit with no CD and thus a much shallower hardware profile behind the dash which should allow me to place the unit in a more centered position.

I'm really excited to get into this project. As soon as the wife gives me the go ahead for the rest of the audio gear I'll post some progress shots
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MasDeck.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	121355   Click image for larger version

Name:	MasDeck2.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	121357  

post #9 of 46 Old 02-18-2019, 08:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeropatel View Post
If my understanding is correct, the Naviplus install uses the OEM screen for display so it would be limited by the size and resolution of the stock screen. In other words, 7" of usable screen and resolution is not HD. I can't imagine putting that much time and money into an upgrade and still ending up with a small, non-HD screen.

Anyways, despite the invasive install, I would be okay leaving the OEM screen as is because: 1) avoid having to relocate it somewhere else and 2) keep the car from freaking out. From the look of the Alpine install, I doubt the factory screen would be very visible once the aftermarket screen is installed. The Alpine unit can be adjusted for height/angle so good chance you can get it close enough to cover up the original screen. This method would keep involved wiring to a minimum and I assume a simple harness would be enough to allow the Alpine to tap into the speakers/amp/antenna/etc.

All of the above are assumptions on my end obviously but I don't see why it would not be possible.

I'm old, so I guess the usefulness of HD vs. Non-HD are lost on me. I don't really look at the display much unless I'm using Nav.. which I can see a benefit of HD on. The stock screen is 7" if I'm not mistaken, so not sure how much more 2" really gives you.. I know.. "That's what she said"..

Has anyone looked at what it would take to put a 2018 unit into the older units? Seems like it ticks the boxes and is from the factory, so integration should be easierish?

That second video showed quite a bit more of the install, and that just looks like a giant PITA.
post #10 of 46 Old 02-18-2019, 09:32 PM

Garage
Stereo

Quote:
I'm old, so I guess the usefulness of HD vs. Non-HD are lost on me. I don't really look at the display much unless I'm using Nav.. which I can see a benefit of HD on. The stock screen is 7" if I'm not mistaken, so not sure how much more 2" really gives you.. I know.. "That's what she said"..

Has anyone looked at what it would take to put a 2018 unit into the older units? Seems like it ticks the boxes and is from the factory, so integration should be easierish?

That second video showed quite a bit more of the install, and that just looks like a giant PITA.

The fact it would be HD merely means a clearer image and more representative of the class of vehicle. The Nav looks like it was built in 1995 and that touchpad phone thing below the screen is laughably outdated even for 1995. The larger screen is necessary to fill the void space left from removing the NIT (ugly phone looking thing, actually part of the telematics of the car). Plus the larger screen aides in the more contemporary look

I did, the retro kit includes the screen and new dash/console pics and is close to $6k as I recall...FOOLISHNESS!

Yes its quite the undertaking but if the end result can improve the aesthetics and the lousy sound I'm definitely up for the challenge.

post #11 of 46 Old 02-18-2019, 09:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianGrowl View Post
The fact it would be HD merely means a clearer image and more representative of the class of vehicle. The Nav looks like it was built in 1995 and that touchpad phone thing below the screen is laughably outdated even for 1995. The larger screen is necessary to fill the void space left from removing the NIT (ugly phone looking thing, actually part of the telematics of the car). Plus the larger screen aides in the more contemporary look

I did, the retro kit includes the screen and new dash/console pics and is close to $6k as I recall...FOOLISHNESS!

Yes its quite the undertaking but if the end result can improve the aesthetics and the lousy sound I'm definitely up for the challenge.

6K!? F that!!! Now I can see why it would make sense. Checking a little more, the other add-ons the OP mentioned (Steering wheel module) aren't necessary, so it's fairly on par with the NaviPlus price wise. My kids would dig being able to watch YouTube in HD on it, so it may be on my mod list whenever I finally get my damn GT..
post #12 of 46 Old 02-18-2019, 11:04 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,099
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Quote:
I installed the Naviplus system in my GT several months ago and posted a whole thread about it back then. Essentially, there's a few pro's and a few cons.

The pro's are that you keep the OEM look of the infotainment unit (if you like the stock look), the OEM screen becomes a touch screen, and of course, you have Apple Carplay/Andriod Auto with all their benefits and functionality. (I particularly like the fact that I can pull up Google Maps and live traffic updates right there on the screen whenever I want to). It also comes with a nice back-up camera. The graphics in AppleCar Play mode is also higher res than the OEM "Atari 2600" graphics.

The con's are many and could be a deal breaker for some. The biggest is the installation which was a nightmare, even though I used a professional installer. The included instructions were incomplete and terrible. Lots of trial and error to get everything working. Tech support was also a nightmare because the company is in Australia. So I had to call them late at night just to speak to a live tech. Even after the system was installed, there are times when the unit would randomly stop working or the touchscreen stopped working. I have doubts about the long-term reliability of the system going forward.

Audio system upgrade for GTS-thumbnail_img_0629%5B1%5D.jpg

Audio system upgrade for GTS-thumbnail_img_0634%5B1%5D.jpg

Audio system upgrade for GTS-thumbnail_img_0635%5B1%5D.jpg

2013 Maserati GT MC Convertible: Bianco Eldorado/Nero; Carbon Aero PK; Int. Carbon-Evo I+II; 20% tint; clear bra; Larini sport cats; DBW
2008 Ferrari F430 Spider: Avus Bianco ext/Red leather int; Daytona seats; Carbon dash trim and steering wheel; 20% tint; clear bra; Sport exhaust (LOUD!)
2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano: Nero/Cuoio; F1 superfast trans; Daytona seats
2010 Lambo Gallardo Spider LP560-4: Nero Noctis/Nero
2019 Ferrari Portofino: Rosso Corsa/Nero
post #13 of 46 Old 02-19-2019, 02:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeropatel View Post

After some further research, I stand corrected. The Alpine Halo9 unit is a WVGA screen (i.e. 480p) so not a true HD screen. Disappointing!
Alpine came out with another Halo9 model this year (iLX-F259) but surprisingly the goal was to make this year's unit cheaper to attract more interest. They did this by keeping the screen resolution the same and removing some features. Again, disappointing.

Maybe I'll have to keep my plans on hold and hope Alpine decides to give the Halo9 line a proper screen or someone else makes a single DIN system.

Until then, I'll keep watching this thread to see what Franz comes up with.
post #14 of 46 Old 02-19-2019, 04:28 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 299
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Just a note - by using the Alpine you'll lose the ability to do things like reset your trip odometer.

Another note - some Alpine systems support wireless CarPlay but I think the Halo and also the Navistar unit do not (need to plug in the phone).
post #15 of 46 Old 02-19-2019, 01:36 PM

Garage
I have heard mixed reviews of the Navi and Carplay interfaces but aside from their benefits/shortcomings it still doesn't eliminate the biggest eyesore of the whole car, the f-ing horrible phone keypad. I will HAVE to retain that stupid phone NIT so I don't have interface issues with the trip meter/odometer/clock and all the other BS that Maserati has tied into that thing. I will just have it relocated and hidden in the trunk or something. Despite the difficulties, I am really looking forward to the chance to improve the one thing I HATE about the car. If I had the money to just buy the retrofit from Maserati I would, but I cant justify THAT much money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode