Flashing steering wheel buttons - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-29-2018, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Flashing steering wheel buttons

I have a 2014 GT Sport Convertible. Since the weather turned cold, my steering wheel buttons do not illuminate after a cold start. As the engine warms, they begin blinking, more often as the engine warms. When the engine reaches operating temperature, they stay on. The top buttons are not operable until the lights stay on.

I'm also getting intermittent warnings that the roof operation is no available, like I would want to use it while the ice warning light is on. No clue whether that's related.

Does this look familiar to any of you? Computer part issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-14-2018, 03:19 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This happens to mine as well (2009 4.2). Same exact experience as you. The dealer recommended replacing the steering wheel "clock spring", so I did, and it did not fix the problem. Next recommendation was to replace the whole steering wheel, which I am not doing. I have learned to live with it. Once the car warms up, the buttons all illuminate and function.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-14-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, that's discouraging. The dealer suggested changing the battery. I changed it because it was past time, but it didn't correct the problem. This isn't the way a short circuit acts. With all of the computer functions on the car, I'm guessing that it's a component.

post #4 of 18 Old 12-14-2018, 06:10 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,145
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
I'm having the same issues despite having a new battery recently installed. Flashing SW buttons (sometimes even no light) and convert. top error warning. My dealer told me the top warning might be due to the cold temps. Strangely, the top works despite the warning light.

2013 Maserati GT MC Convertible: Bianco Eldorado/Nero; Carbon Aero PK; Int. Carbon-Evo I+II; 20% tint; clear bra; Larini sport cats; DBW
2008 Ferrari F430 Spider: Avus Bianco ext/Red leather int; Daytona seats; Carbon dash trim and steering wheel; 20% tint; clear bra; Sport exhaust (LOUD!)
2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano: Nero/Cuoio; F1 superfast trans; Daytona seats
2010 Lambo Gallardo Spider LP560-4: Nero Noctis/Nero
2019 Ferrari Portofino: Rosso Corsa/Nero
post #5 of 18 Old 12-16-2018, 12:06 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 76
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
mine went out completely so now I dont have to worry about it. lol

post #6 of 18 Old 12-16-2018, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaranti View Post
mine went out completely so now I dont have to worry about it. lol

But it was doing the slow on-at-warmup thing before?
post #7 of 18 Old 12-16-2018, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psb1013 View Post
I'm having the same issues despite having a new battery recently installed. Flashing SW buttons (sometimes even no light) and convert. top error warning. My dealer told me the top warning might be due to the cold temps. Strangely, the top works despite the warning light.

Mine, too; tested it the first time it happened, and it was very cold. Doesn't this look like too big of a repeatable malfunction for the dealers to be so clueless?
post #8 of 18 Old 12-16-2018, 04:34 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,145
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keydet19 View Post
Mine, too; tested it the first time it happened, and it was very cold. Doesn't this look like too big of a repeatable malfunction for the dealers to be so clueless?
My car was in the shop for 2 full days and the dealer tested everything--battery, fuses, and even ran full diagnostics......no codes....nada. Eventually they threw their hands up and gave up. I guess even Maserati doesn't fully understand their own cars. Lol.

2013 Maserati GT MC Convertible: Bianco Eldorado/Nero; Carbon Aero PK; Int. Carbon-Evo I+II; 20% tint; clear bra; Larini sport cats; DBW
2008 Ferrari F430 Spider: Avus Bianco ext/Red leather int; Daytona seats; Carbon dash trim and steering wheel; 20% tint; clear bra; Sport exhaust (LOUD!)
2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano: Nero/Cuoio; F1 superfast trans; Daytona seats
2010 Lambo Gallardo Spider LP560-4: Nero Noctis/Nero
2019 Ferrari Portofino: Rosso Corsa/Nero
post #9 of 18 Old 12-16-2018, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psb1013 View Post
My car was in the shop for 2 full days and the dealer tested everything--battery, fuses, and even ran full diagnostics......no codes....nada. Eventually they threw their hands up and gave up. I guess even Maserati doesn't fully understand their own cars. Lol.

Oh no, it's even worse than I thought. Nothing like buying the whole steering wheel when you're not sure that will work either.
post #10 of 18 Old 12-17-2018, 01:26 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 322
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Mine also used to work after a while but eventually it went out completely.

I was told I needed to replace this part:

Part No. 980139788 Maserati
VOICE STEERING WHEEL BUTTONS KIT

It's about 300 UK pounds or probably around US$400.

I believe it comes with two parts, one 'pod' on the left side and one on the right side.

I didn't replace it because the previous owner had upgraded the steering wheel and buttons with carbon fiber so I can't just do a straight replace. Anyway I'd rather have the carbon fiber wheel than working buttons.
post #11 of 18 Old 12-17-2018, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18000rpm View Post

I believe it comes with two parts, one 'pod' on the left side and one on the right side.

I didn't replace it because the previous owner had upgraded the steering wheel and buttons with carbon fiber so I can't just do a straight replace. Anyway I'd rather have the carbon fiber wheel than working buttons.

Thanks much, this is really helpful. I'll share it with my dealer.
post #12 of 18 Old 12-17-2018, 04:11 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 186
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I had this problem awhile back and did a post on here after doing some research....it's caused by changes in conductivity inside the button switches/steering wheel electronics. This can be caused by age, temperature changes, debris or cleaner getting inside them. "Sticky Button Issues" also contribute to the problem. (you also want to make sure no wires are pinched anywhere on the switches and inside the steering wheel.) You can take apart the switches and inner electronics of the steering wheel and clean the button switch contacts, connectors and other electronics and there's a conductive grease you can put on the contacts to help keep the conductivity consistent. This is definitely after you confirm its not caused by anything but the steering wheel itself(clock spring, any other bad connections, ecu, etc). Similar type issue also caused my airbag light to come on intermittently and this is usually caused by a bad clock spring, but in my case it was a bad connection in one of the connectors in the steering wheel column throwing off the required airbag resistance/setting off my airbag light. The connection just had to be clean and I checked to make sure no wires were loose or pinched. Bad/dirty connectors under the seats, on seatbelt tensioners, crash sensors in pilars and curtain airbags can also make you airbag light come on...the key is trying to find it and not spend a bunch of $$$ replacing all sorts of things before you do.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-18-2018, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&MyMaserati View Post
I had this problem awhile back and did a post on here after doing some research....it's caused by changes in conductivity inside the button switches/steering wheel electronics. This can be caused by age, temperature changes, debris or cleaner getting inside them. "Sticky Button Issues" also contribute to the problem. (you also want to make sure no wires are pinched anywhere on the switches and inside the steering wheel.) You can take apart the switches and inner electronics of the steering wheel and clean the button switch contacts, connectors and other electronics and there's a conductive grease you can put on the contacts to help keep the conductivity consistent. This is definitely after you confirm its not caused by anything but the steering wheel itself(clock spring, any other bad connections, ecu, etc). Similar type issue also caused my airbag light to come on intermittently and this is usually caused by a bad clock spring, but in my case it was a bad connection in one of the connectors in the steering wheel column throwing off the required airbag resistance/setting off my airbag light. The connection just had to be clean and I checked to make sure no wires were loose or pinched. Bad/dirty connectors under the seats, on seatbelt tensioners, crash sensors in pilars and curtain airbags can also make you airbag light come on...the key is trying to find it and not spend a bunch of $$$ replacing all sorts of things before you do.

My guess is that you've nailed it; I had cleaned the volume button last fall because it was very sticky, and had to use a good bit of cleaner. I wondered if that could be the cause, but I've never seen electronics behave this way. If I tried to disassemble this steering wheel as a novice, would I risking screwing something up worse? Any references to manuals, procedures, and conductive grease would be appreciated.
post #14 of 18 Old 12-18-2018, 05:12 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 186
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
My guess is that you've nailed it; I had cleaned the volume button last fall because it was very sticky, and had to use a good bit of cleaner. I wondered if that could be the cause, but I've never seen electronics behave this way. If I tried to disassemble this steering wheel as a novice, would I risking screwing something up worse? Any references to manuals, procedures, and conductive grease would be appreciated.
If you search the forums here you will find posts and DIY write ups by members that discuss the procedure....BUT... I DO NOT RECOMMEND you doing it yourself unless you're a Trained Professional or have the full knowledge/expertise dealing with the Airbag System and surrounding components. THIS CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS
As far as the "conductive grease" for the electronics, just do some various keyword/phrase Google Searching and this should turn up some info.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-18-2018, 01:50 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 326
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18000rpm View Post

Quote:
Thanks much, this is really helpful. I'll share it with my dealer.
If it's the buttons on both sides of the wheel, you'll need both kits:

980139788 - Voice steering wheel buttons kit
980139789 - Info steering wheel buttons kit

Both parts are available from Scuderia Car Parts and are priced at $385 per part, which is about 50% of what a dealership will charge you:

Steering wheel button kits

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode