LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 09-02-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Soon to be '15 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Owner

Gang,

I am in the process of purchasing a 2015 Maserati GranTurismo Sport, Blu Sofisticato Metallic, Bianco Pregiato Full Leather interior, 5,358 miles. I've gone through a lot of cars, several which were very high performance (i.e., GT-R, CTS-V, AMG C63, others), but until none which really stoked my car enthusiast passions as the Maserati GranTurismo can. I will be using it as my daily/only driver. I'm looking forward to reading up on things I should know about the vehicle, things I might want to customize, and how easy or hard it is to go for some moderate performance upgrades. Since I'll have a factory warranty through 2020, I'm not about to endanger that, or play cat and mouse with flashing to stock then back to tune every time I need to bring the vehicle in for service. Anyway, looking forward to being a new owner soon.

'19 Corvette Grand Sport

'15 Maserati Granturismo Sport
'17 MB C63 AMG Cabriolet
'15 Audi S4
'14 Nissan GT-R
'08 Pontiac G8 GT
'11 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
'12 Mitsubishi EVO MR
'07 BMW M6
'07 Saleen 302 Mustang Parnelli Jones Edition
'05 Audi S4
'09 Nissan GT-R (FBO 537 AWHP)
'06 Infinity M35 Sport
'04 Subaru STI
'02 Subaru WRX
'91 GMC Syclone (2!)
'86 Buick Grand National
'88 Old Cutlass Calais International Series
'86 Chevy Z-24
'85 Pontiac Fiero V6
'81 Mustang
'64 Rambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 09-02-2017, 04:13 PM
vdr

Maserati Life Posts: 185
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okra View Post
Gang,

I am in the process of purchasing a 2015 Maserati GranTurismo Sport, Blu Sofisticato Metallic, Bianco Pregiato Full Leather interior, 5,358 miles. I've gone through a lot of cars, several which were very high performance (i.e., GT-R, CTS-V, AMG C63, others), but until none which really stoked my car enthusiast passions as the Maserati GranTurismo can. I will be using it as my daily/only driver. I'm looking forward to reading up on things I should know about the vehicle, things I might want to customize, and how easy or hard it is to go for some moderate performance upgrades. Since I'll have a factory warranty through 2020, I'm not about to endanger that, or play cat and mouse with flashing to stock then back to tune every time I need to bring the vehicle in for service. Anyway, looking forward to being a new owner soon.

That's a great color combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 33 Old 09-02-2017, 04:19 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,145
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Quote:
Gang,

Congrats.
I see that you're currently driving a '17 C63 AMG. Just curious, if you're planning to use the GT as your only daily driver, what about the AMG?

2013 Maserati GT MC Convertible: Bianco Eldorado/Nero; Carbon Aero PK; Int. Carbon-Evo I+II; 20% tint; clear bra; Larini sport cats; DBW
2008 Ferrari F430 Spider: Avus Bianco ext/Red leather int; Daytona seats; Carbon dash trim and steering wheel; 20% tint; clear bra; Sport exhaust (LOUD!)
2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano: Nero/Cuoio; F1 superfast trans; Daytona seats
2010 Lambo Gallardo Spider LP560-4: Nero Noctis/Nero
2019 Ferrari Portofino: Rosso Corsa/Nero

post #4 of 33 Old 09-02-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psb1013 View Post
Congrats.
I see that you're currently driving a '17 C63 AMG. Just curious, if you're planning to use the GT as your only daily driver, what about the AMG?
I got a pretty good trade in for it from the dealer I am purchasing the GT.

'19 Corvette Grand Sport

'17 MB C63 AMG Cabriolet
'15 Audi S4
'14 Nissan GT-R
'08 Pontiac G8 GT
'11 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
'12 Mitsubishi EVO MR
'07 BMW M6
'05 Audi S4
'06 Infinity M35 Sport
'04 Subaru STI
'02 Subaru WRX
'91 GMC Syclone (2!)
'86 Buick Grand National
'86 Chevy Z-24
'85 Pontiac Fiero V6
'81 Mustang
'64 Rambler
post #5 of 33 Old 09-02-2017, 07:41 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,145
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Quote:
I got a pretty good trade in for it from the dealer I am purchasing the GT.
Just curious, what did you not like about the C63 that you got rid of it so quickly?

2013 Maserati GT MC Convertible: Bianco Eldorado/Nero; Carbon Aero PK; Int. Carbon-Evo I+II; 20% tint; clear bra; Larini sport cats; DBW
2008 Ferrari F430 Spider: Avus Bianco ext/Red leather int; Daytona seats; Carbon dash trim and steering wheel; 20% tint; clear bra; Sport exhaust (LOUD!)
2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano: Nero/Cuoio; F1 superfast trans; Daytona seats
2010 Lambo Gallardo Spider LP560-4: Nero Noctis/Nero
2019 Ferrari Portofino: Rosso Corsa/Nero
post #6 of 33 Old 09-02-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psb1013 View Post
Just curious, what did you not like about the C63 that you got rid of it so quickly?
I want a vehicle that when I see it in my garage or coming upon it in the parking lot, it hits me, and I feel, hey, I want to get inside and drive that! The C63 AMG, while a quite capable performance beast and comfortable cruiser, just didn't stir any passions within me. It was like a post that I saw, which described one looking at the car in the garage and saying, wow, this is a fast car, but that car not exciting you. The Maserati GranTurismo does, at least to me. It's not going to have the performance I am accustomed to, but it's no slouch either.

'19 Corvette Grand Sport

'17 MB C63 AMG Cabriolet
'15 Audi S4
'14 Nissan GT-R
'08 Pontiac G8 GT
'11 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
'12 Mitsubishi EVO MR
'07 BMW M6
'05 Audi S4
'06 Infinity M35 Sport
'04 Subaru STI
'02 Subaru WRX
'91 GMC Syclone (2!)
'86 Buick Grand National
'86 Chevy Z-24
'85 Pontiac Fiero V6
'81 Mustang
'64 Rambler
post #7 of 33 Old 09-03-2017, 01:46 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 41
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I look forward to driving my Grancabrio everyday. Exhaust note is addicting especially with the sport cats and the convertible is a nice open air experience. I have use mine as a daily driver and have a baby seat in the back. No reliability issues and hitting close to 30k miles. Recently had to replace the brake pads, new interstate battery, and on my second set of tires. Its been amazing owner experience. Planning to keep the GT for long time. I don't think the design is ever going to get old and in my opinion timeless. The car is more than fast enough for a daily driver.
post #8 of 33 Old 09-03-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmaserati View Post
I look forward to driving my Grancabrio everyday. Exhaust note is addicting especially with the sport cats and the convertible is a nice open air experience. I have use mine as a daily driver and have a baby seat in the back. No reliability issues and hitting close to 30k miles. Recently had to replace the brake pads, new interstate battery, and on my second set of tires. Its been amazing owner experience. Planning to keep the GT for long time. I don't think the design is ever going to get old and in my opinion timeless. The car is more than fast enough for a daily driver.
Everyone talks about the exhaust note of the GT. How is it compared to the new MB C63 AMG with Performance Exhaust, in Sport+ mode? That is pretty loud and aggressive to me. Lots of braps and pops when decelerating to a light. And when first starting the vehicle, it is a very loud, resounding, and angry bark to the exhaust. I did drive a '14 Maserati GT and had it in Sport mode, but can't quite remember the exhaust note. I was too overwhelmed at the time over how much I liked the red interior, and thinking that I was in an actual exotic car (okay, perhaps semi-exotic, but to me, exotic).

As for daily driving and performance, I'm going to follow the advice of someone else's remakrs on this board, and try to drive stock for a while, to get used to the vehicle first. Also, I don't know how much of a hassle it is to get an ECU tune, change intakes, exhaust, with respect to not being afoul of warranty restrictions. I went Stage 2 pulley engine and transmission upgrade with my '15 Audi S4, as well as having upgraded the intakes, gone to resonated downpipes, and a touring exhaust. It REALLY woke that car up! But it was such a hassle if I needed to bring the vehicle into Audi for service. I would have to go to a GIAC authorized tuner first, where they would flash me back to stock (and leave no indication that the flash counter was tripped), then go to Audi and cross my fingers that nothing would come up when the vehicle was scanned. Because if something did, Audi would place the dreaded TD1 code on the vehicle, so any future warranty claims could be denied by this. If if not, I then would have to return to the tuner to flash me back to my Stage 2 tune. Not sure if Maserati service is this stringent as well.

'19 Corvette Grand Sport

'17 MB C63 AMG Cabriolet
'15 Audi S4
'14 Nissan GT-R
'08 Pontiac G8 GT
'11 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
'12 Mitsubishi EVO MR
'07 BMW M6
'05 Audi S4
'06 Infinity M35 Sport
'04 Subaru STI
'02 Subaru WRX
'91 GMC Syclone (2!)
'86 Buick Grand National
'86 Chevy Z-24
'85 Pontiac Fiero V6
'81 Mustang
'64 Rambler
post #9 of 33 Old 09-03-2017, 04:08 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,288
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Sound is so subjective, there is no wrong or right ; it's strictly all about individual preferences. I, for one dislike the high pitch " screaming " note of most Lamborghinis , or many Ferraris, or the eardrum busting loudness of the new Mercedes GTS ( reminiscent of the old 427 Cobra ) and while I do like the subtle rumble exhaust sound of the Aston Martin DB line , the stock Maserati GTSport exhaust sound is simply perfect for me. But like I said ..all subjective .
post #10 of 33 Old 09-03-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGT View Post
Sound is so subjective, there is no wrong or right ; it's strictly all about individual preferences. I, for one dislike the high pitch " screaming " note of most Lamborghinis , or many Ferraris, or the eardrum busting loudness of the new Mercedes GTS ( reminiscent of the old 427 Cobra ) and while I do like the subtle rumble exhaust sound of the Aston Martin DB line , the stock Maserati GTSport exhaust sound is simply perfect for me. But like I said ..all subjective .
Quite true of the above. One exhaust note might be a beautiful symphony to one person, while another might react with, "Turn that crap down!", ha-ha.

'19 Corvette Grand Sport

'17 MB C63 AMG Cabriolet
'15 Audi S4
'14 Nissan GT-R
'08 Pontiac G8 GT
'11 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
'12 Mitsubishi EVO MR
'07 BMW M6
'05 Audi S4
'06 Infinity M35 Sport
'04 Subaru STI
'02 Subaru WRX
'91 GMC Syclone (2!)
'86 Buick Grand National
'86 Chevy Z-24
'85 Pontiac Fiero V6
'81 Mustang
'64 Rambler
post #11 of 33 Old 09-03-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Hey, one thing I wanted to discuss with the group is shipping of the vehicle. The dealer is located in Ohio and I'm in Florida. I was given the impression that shipping would be enclosed trailer, but now they are saying they would cover standard shipping but if I wanted enclosed shipping I would have to pay them an extra $400 to $500. Does that sound right? For reference, I purchased a vehicle one before from afar. Despite several assurances from the dealership that shipping would be handled with kid gloves, the vehicle (a '11 CTS-V wagon) arrived on the trailer with the front end creased in, and all four wheels were badly scratched/marred by abrasive holding straps. And when the driver was backing the trailer into the Cadillac dealership, he backed right into an Escalade. When I asked the driver how the front end was damaged, he said from loading it onto the trailer, and it would probably happen again when it was off loaded. I told him need needed to look for another line of work. And to top it off, the vehicle came covered in grime and bird poop, but several days being exposed to the elements. Subsequently, the dealer had to sue the owner/dispatcher of the trailer. My vehicle was repaired and also given four brand new CTS-V wheels. But it was a two-month ordeal, trying to get the dealership to pay for everything, and finally having repairs performed. A really bad experience!

Bottom line is, I don't want my Maserati GranTurismo showing up with several days' worth of road grime and bird poop, after allegedly having been detailed inside and out by the dealership. And speaking of detailing, I have asked the dealership if the vehicle will actually be professionally detailed, or will it simply have what I call a "super wash" by dealership service employees. There is a big difference.

'19 Corvette Grand Sport

'17 MB C63 AMG Cabriolet
'15 Audi S4
'14 Nissan GT-R
'08 Pontiac G8 GT
'11 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
'12 Mitsubishi EVO MR
'07 BMW M6
'05 Audi S4
'06 Infinity M35 Sport
'04 Subaru STI
'02 Subaru WRX
'91 GMC Syclone (2!)
'86 Buick Grand National
'86 Chevy Z-24
'85 Pontiac Fiero V6
'81 Mustang
'64 Rambler
post #12 of 33 Old 09-03-2017, 05:10 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,288
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
I don't remember the name of the transport company which shipped my Porsche to Califronia from Colorado ( it was more than fifteen years ago ) but they wanted nearly 100 % more for covered transport vs. the open air option . If I recall , the cost to ship open air was about $ 1,200 the closed transport would have been about $ 2,200. And that was way back when and just from Vail Co to San Francisco Ca , which is not a huge distance . I opted for the open air because they promised they cover the car with blankets , and then on top of that they " shrink-wrap it in plastic . They did, and the car was delivered as if it was just detailed. But I also think it's the luck of the draw when it comes to transport companies , you really need to speak to them in great detail about every aspect of the protection measures and get assurances , in writing if possible , before opting for one method over another .
post #13 of 33 Old 09-03-2017, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGT View Post
I don't remember the name of the transport company which shipped my Porsche to Califronia from Colorado ( it was more than fifteen years ago ) but they wanted nearly 100 % more for covered transport vs. the open air option . If I recall , the cost to ship open air was about $ 1,200 the closed transport would have been about $ 2,200. And that was way back when and just from Vail Co to San Francisco Ca , which is not a huge distance . I opted for the open air because they promised they cover the car with blankets , and then on top of that they " shrink-wrap it in plastic . They did, and the car was delivered as if it was just detailed. But I also think it's the luck of the draw when it comes to transport companies , you really need to speak to them in great detail about every aspect of the protection measures and get assurances , in writing if possible , before opting for one method over another .
That's a great story and very good advice. Thank you! I will use this to discuss the shipping option with the dealer. I'm okay with the vehicle being covered with blankets and shrink wrapped in plastic, as opposed to paying twice as much for an enclosed container.

'19 Corvette Grand Sport

'17 MB C63 AMG Cabriolet
'15 Audi S4
'14 Nissan GT-R
'08 Pontiac G8 GT
'11 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
'12 Mitsubishi EVO MR
'07 BMW M6
'05 Audi S4
'06 Infinity M35 Sport
'04 Subaru STI
'02 Subaru WRX
'91 GMC Syclone (2!)
'86 Buick Grand National
'86 Chevy Z-24
'85 Pontiac Fiero V6
'81 Mustang
'64 Rambler
post #14 of 33 Old 09-03-2017, 07:38 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 116
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I had mine shipped cross country. I ended up paying extra for enclosed and the "power lift" option. The GT is too low to risk a ramp, in my opinion. On the same truck as my GT was a Ferrari and a McLaren so it seems these options are common for low exotics. Not a scratch anywhere.
post #15 of 33 Old 09-03-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhntrinh01 View Post
I had mine shipped cross country. I ended up paying extra for enclosed and the "power lift" option. The GT is too low to risk a ramp, in my opinion. On the same truck as my GT was a Ferrari and a McLaren so it seems these options are common for low exotics. Not a scratch anywhere.
Thanks for the tip! I just wrote my salesman again (he's probably tired of hearing from me already, ha-ha) and told him we need detailed information from the transport company on how they are going to load and offload the vehicle without damaging it. I also added that if the vehicle arrives damaged from loading it or offloading it, I will refuse to take delivery and inform the transport driver to return it to the dealership.

'19 Corvette Grand Sport

'17 MB C63 AMG Cabriolet
'15 Audi S4
'14 Nissan GT-R
'08 Pontiac G8 GT
'11 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
'12 Mitsubishi EVO MR
'07 BMW M6
'05 Audi S4
'06 Infinity M35 Sport
'04 Subaru STI
'02 Subaru WRX
'91 GMC Syclone (2!)
'86 Buick Grand National
'86 Chevy Z-24
'85 Pontiac Fiero V6
'81 Mustang
'64 Rambler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode