Maserati Forum banner

Tire pressure monitoring system not available...

25K views 44 replies 16 participants last post by  nicf23 
#1 ·
I just painted my 22" wheels and when I put them back I get this error message. I have tried resetting the system following the instructions in the manual but it is not going way. The monitoring system was working fine with these wheels before so I don't get it. How can I check if the sensors where reinstalled correctly? I don't even know where they are located.

#3 ·
There are sender units inside the wheels that send signals to a receiver module inside the car. Are you sure the people who repainted your wheels replaced the sensor units when remounting the tires. Maybe they forgot and just mounted new valves and forgot the sensors, I suggest giving the shop a call.

I am suspecting this is the case as if the painting had anything to do with it it may be more likely that one had failed and not all of them, unless they were left on the wheels and the paint was baked in a paint oven at about 400 degrees which may also have ruined them.

There are hand-held testers available and you can test the tps sender in each tire by holding the tester near the tire. These are around $500 each but good tire shops or dealers should have one.

Let us know how it turns out.

Mark

#4 ·
ok checked all the sensors and they seem fine. No paint on them etc...

The exact message I am getting is "Tire Monitoring system unavailable"

Not sure what could be wrong.

I had these wheels working fine with the sensors. I then replaced them with the stock wheels ( with no sensors on ) while the others were painted. Thats when I started getting the error but I didnt worry about it because the stock wheels didnt have the sensors on. I was sure they would start working again once the other wheels were reinstaled.

Not the case. Is there like a hard reset or something What can I do on the car to make it read the sensors again?

#7 ·
Ok the only other thing I remember a tech talking about one time that each sensor on some cars can be location specific. This means that on installation the sensors position on the car is registered to the receiver. I'm not sure if this is the case on Maserati but you may want to call a service department and ask them.

On Beru's website it states that they are the supplier of the Maserati GT sensor and here are some instructions you can download to calibrate them

http://www.beru.com/download/produkte/kalibrierung_tss_e.pdf

#9 ·
It was more for you to understand the problem as there is a list of what causes the "system unavailable".

To reset the system you need to press and hold the calibration button (overhead on the roof) in the car and hold it until the notice on the dashboard says something like "calibrating" . Drive the car around whilst the calibrating is going on, do not turn off as this will not complete the process. It takes a few minutes but can take up to 20.

#10 ·
Yes. I know the procedure to recalibrate it. I have done before. But this time 10 seconds after pressing the button I get the messge : tyre monitoring system not available

I have tried many times and I get the same thing. Hopefully the dealer will know what to do. Thx

#11 · (Edited)
I am having the same problem, did anyone come up with a fix for this? I got new tires put on the front of my car and now I am getting the same warning "tyre pressure monitoring unavailable". I had them check the sensors and the computer says that all four tpms sensors are working correctly. I also tried disconnecting the battery to the car but that didn't do anything either. :(

#14 ·
Same issue, from my research the TPMS system went thru a major revision during 2009-1010. My car is a 2010 GTS. I've tried the calibrate option many times and also replace the TPMS ECM with no success. I've seen but cannot get confirmation that the TPMS sensors needs to be manually entered into the Car's computer via the dealer. I sure hope you find a resolution.

#13 ·
there should be a tpms calibration button on either the dome light module or in the instrument panel menus. activate it holding the button. it'll take 10ish miles at about 60mph to finish.
if that doesn't work, there may be a issue with the new tire construction preventing the sensors/receivers from operating correctly.

#19 ·
If everyone can comment on which version of the TPMS system we are dealing with maybe it will help in determining solutions to particular TPMS versions. Mine is TPMS 1.5 which I do not have a solution but will take it to the dealer for a reset. Will let everyone know.

Versions per below
Quattroporte TPMS 1.5: Valid Assembly Number Range 27860 - 57699
Quattroporte TPMS 2.5 : With effect from Assembly Number 57700
GranTurismo TPMS 1.5: up to Assembly Number 55703
GranTurismo TPMS 2.5 : With effect from Assembly Number 55704
GranCabrio TPMS 1.5: up to Assembly Number 55363
GranTurismo TPMS 2.5 : With effect from Assembly Number 55364

#21 ·
Where is the "reader" or module which receives the signal from the tires TPMS units , and how is that part replaced if it fails ? In my buddy's MC he keeps getting the low pressure warning lights that stay on, but the IM shop removed his tires and checked / tested all the TPMSs , determined that they are all OK, tire pressures checked, also all ok, but the light does not go away so they told him it's the module " redder" itself and for that he needs to go to the dealer, they can't fix that component. He's thinking with his luck, the dealer will tell him that's integrated in the multi-media NIT hard drive, cannot be separately replaced and it'll be a $ 8 K repair! In which case he'll just live with the alert light on..

#22 ·
The sensors for the TPMS transmitters inside the wheels are usually in the wheel wells behind the liners. But my understanding is that they almost never go bad because they are just coils of wire (antenna for the signal the wheel sensors transmit).

I seem to recall when I re-calibrated my QP5, I poked the calibrate button & at first got a similar message to the one you show. I kept driving and after a few minutes another message said "Calibration Complete." Tire pressure readouts were then possible.

So I wonder if your message is the first stage of a calibration process, meaning "you can't check tire pressures yet."

I could be totally wrong about this,

KTBD

#23 ·
The parts in the wheel liner are not antennas...They are initiators...They are what is telling the TPMS unit in the tire to wake up.....

The TPMS module is its own separate module and they do go bad occasionally...I would replace it if the sensors are new and you are still having problems...Most dealers don't even mess around..TPMS light on? Your getting 4 sensors and a ECU....Jason

#24 ·
I have the version 1.5 - early 2011 and before - TPMS system. About every 2 or 3 months, I get a "TPMS Malfunction" message. And, no, the calibrate function does nothing to help it.

I bought a Foxwell NT520 and clear the message whenever it occurs. And then I'm good for another couple of months. What seems a bit odd (to me at least) is that after clearing the message, calibration isn't needed. It resumes showing the pressures on the display as if nothing had happened.

Hans.

PS: At one point, I did try a new TPMS module. Same result. Fine for a couple of months, then I got the error message. Put the old one back in.

#28 ·
It's under a "hatch" in the carpet just in front of the driver's seat. Mine was a piece of cake to replace, as it was the only module in there. But some models have more modules in there making it more difficult. Like a suspension module, which I don't have.

The version 1.5 modules (235303, and also 2 earlier part numbes) have been discontinued. So you likely need to shop Ebay, etc. And the prices are rising. BMW and VW use modules that are still available that look identical and have most of the same version #s , etc. I have no idea if one would work, but I strongly suspect they won't.

A cheaper route is to get a scan tool and try and reset the module. I'm using the Foxwell NT520, but it's my understanding that some/many of the Autel units will work also. Jason recommends one that will undoubtedly work.

Hans.

#26 ·
There's 4 different parts (10 pieces total) to the TPMS system:

• 4x sensors inside the wheels
• 4x "trigger" units in the wheelhouses (part 237966)
• 2x "antenna" receiver units, one front left and one rear right (part 239463/249361)
• 1x ECU under the footwell (part 310225/319623)

https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part-finder/maserati/granturismo/oe/72/3718/65645

For me, my right front trigger was cracked and had water intrusion. Picked up one on eBay for $20 and five minutes later had my TPMS back.

ps. this is a really old thread...

#30 ·
A couple more quick notes:

1. Somewhere waaaay back on this forum, Formula Dynamics suggested cleaning the contacts on the module. Evidently helped in some cases.

2. If the module compartment in your car is "crowded", perhaps try a socket with 1/4" drive, as the thin shaft on the extension may make life easier. 10mm socket, I think. Also, the TPMS module is sort of buried almost under the seat. But don't despair!! It is mounted on a sheet metal carrier which is attached with 2 10mm nuts that are plainly visible. Then the carrier will slide out revealing the reviled (revealing, reviled - hehe clever, huh?) TPMS module.

Hans.

#31 · (Edited)
Well, its a relief to know that Maserati has not engineered this module as an integral component of ( and not separable from ) the ECU. Don't want to see the tire pressure light on your dashboard ? No problem, that'll be $ 24,000 :wink2: ( wild guess of the ECU cost, considering a multi-media unit is $ 7,000 ):|

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.