2016 Ghibli Weird Whistle/Squeal Noise on Freeway? - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 08-16-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2016 Ghibli Weird Whistle/Squeal Noise on Freeway?

Hello,

I got a new 2016 Ghibli a few months ago and I've noticed the past month or so that there is a weird whistle/squealing noise that only happens when on the freeway. Not even at really high speeds starting at 70 mph or so. Not in sport mode, the windows are up, nothing rattling in the interior.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-15-2016, 06:43 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 3
It started to happen on my 2014 ghibli for a month now. Whenever I am on freeway for a while, the noise starts. sometimes the rattling noise is very annoying. The moment I tap the brakes, it goes off... and comes back when I release the brake.
I took it to the dealer and they checked and cleaned the brakes for me but it still continues. This is only on freeways when I am atleast on 60 or 70mph.
post #3 of 25 Old 09-15-2016, 06:48 AM

doughboy611 , do you still face it ? if it is resolved, can you please let me know what the resolution is..

post #4 of 25 Old 09-15-2016, 02:02 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 4
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 2016 not even a month old and have a rattling that is driving me crazy. Is this something they'll even take a look at and fix if I take it in?
post #5 of 25 Old 09-15-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezNutz View Post
I have a 2016 not even a month old and have a rattling that is driving me crazy. Is this something they'll even take a look at and fix if I take it in?
is it happening on high speeds?and does it go off when u tap the brakes?
post #6 of 25 Old 09-16-2016, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Mine is still happening. Its more of like a whistle noise that is constant. I took it in to servicing but they only drove it 3 miles and barely on the freeway so they couldn't hear it. I'm in LA, so traffic is bad near their closest freeway. It only happens on the freeway, usually on longer drives of 15+ miles so they couldn't catch it. Called another dealer and they said they haven't heard about it from anyone else. I even recorded the noise on my phone after this (tried to post here but cant figure it out or file too big/wrong type) and sent it to them but they couldn't figure it out. They said to bring it back in but I just havent had the time to take it in especially if they dont have a loaner to swap.
post #7 of 25 Old 09-17-2016, 04:58 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 847
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
You have to localize the sound more. Is it outside or inside? Coming from front, side, back or top? If side, which side? Having a passenger sit in different seats to help localize while you drive to keep the sound coming, might help. Having the tech be the passenger is ideal, but any passenger may help. Lots of possibilities. Knowing sound source helps eliminate.
post #8 of 25 Old 09-20-2016, 07:25 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamshi599 View Post
is it happening on high speeds?and does it go off when u tap the brakes?
No, mine is somewhere on drivers side dash area whenever I go over even the slightest bump in the road... it's a clear rattle of some sort (drives me CRAZY).

I did notice another one slightly ONLY when I am applying the gas (almost like a ticking), but I think I'm just searching to hard for something at this point.
post #9 of 25 Old 10-18-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

It is a high pitch whistle. Wish I could post the video of the noise somehow. Anyone know how its a .MOV file from my phone?

So I gave it to the dealership to service again telling them to drive it as much as needed. Last time they did 4 miles only. Today they said they put 40 miles and couldn't get the sound. I showed them the video to prove its not just me. Every time I leave it with them they claim they do not find anything. I'm trying to go tomorrow to personally be in the car with them this time to test. Not sure what to do when they keep saying that even though I get the noise every time I drive over 8 or so miles above 60-65mph.
post #10 of 25 Old 10-19-2016, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

So dealer said they couldnt hear it with 3 techs. Main guy took it home and said he heard it but it was faint and normal turbo noise.

I finally just posted videos on youtube. Hopefully the audio traveled well. If anyone can listen to it and let me know if they think its normal or not I'd greatly appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGd9D10GTGY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaPyRXP7N4w
post #11 of 25 Old 10-21-2016, 06:11 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1
My dealer took care of a couple of issues:
1- Rattling noise coming from the console/panel. They had to take the front piece off (nearest to windshield) and put a foam. For now, it has taken care of that.

2- Wind noise at highway speeds. Apparently a new software release took care of window closing mechanism. I notice external noise, however wind noise seems to have been corrected via the software update.

Hope this helps.
post #12 of 25 Old 12-22-2016, 11:37 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2
I have the exact same problem. It wasn't present when the car was new, but it's become more common now (after 8 months). I took it in to the dealer and they claimed it is "turbo surge." "This can happen when the turbos spool up boost and the transmission or customer lets off the gas and the boost needs to be dumped prematurely causing the turbines to slow down too fast which will cause a chirp or squeaking noise."

You can take this for what it's worth. On a highway trip last week it happened consistently when a started to go up one of several long but not very steep hills on the road. I don't think I let off the gas; in fact I think the cruise control was engaged. Up each hill, 6 to 8 squeaks.

My car certainly has lots of unusual noises. But the dealer says they're all normal, even if they weren't present when I first bought it...
post #13 of 25 Old 12-23-2016, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Interesting. Some dealers say theres a fix and they know about it and some say they dont know anything about it. My closest service dealer couldnt replicate the noise conditions twice when I left it with them and they put about 150 miles on my car.

The 2nd time they told me to have the car warmed up a certain day to try to mimic the condition and then come to the dealership and test drive it with them; however, I have a busy schedule and dont want to waste time and days doing this every so often so I just gave up. Doesnt seem like a safety issue but annoying on longer drives.

Did they have a fix for you or are you sucking it up as well?
post #14 of 25 Old 12-29-2016, 01:07 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 14
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Common theme - you have a noise - but don't have the time to take care of it. Pick one, take the time to get it fixed or stop complaining about it. To be fair I'm dealing with my own gremlins on my 16 S Q4 Ghibli but take the time to deal with it. As a former Client advisor, your dealer did not make the car, but have to deal with the client when things go wrong. I get the frustration, but if your not willing to take your time to get your car fixed - deal with it!

Michael H
post #15 of 25 Old 12-30-2016, 02:13 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 2
Hey mikcin: Not sure what you're upset about. doughboy611 and I both took the time to have our dealers look at our cars. doughboy's dealer spent quite a bit of time with his car; my dealer is 75 miles away so I had a hassle factor there as well. So both of us definitely have "taken the time to get it fixed." The issue is not on our end—it's that our dealers claimed, in doughboy's case, that they couldn't replicate the problem, or in my case that the noise is normal.

So now I'm in a situation where I'm going to have to convince my dealer that the noise is not normal and that they should fix it. Since a) many other owners do not seem to have this noise, and b) I didn't have it until recently, it certainly doesn't seem like it's "normal" But I'm not looking forward to the fight I'm probably going to have to get into.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode