LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-02-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Affording a maserati grand tourismo sport

Hi how are you all.

Im 23 years old, currently going to a technical school, studying to be an IT and hopefully work in the field of computers, im a car enthusiast i love maserati's its a very exotic elegant car
I know im not nearly ready to afford one
But i wanted to ask you kind folks who successfully own such a beuty of a car
How much should my job income be to be able to afford a maserati.

Im interested in knowing because once i go work in the field and hopefully get a decent high paying job i could be able to afford one just to drive it in the weekends, im willing to have an old hoda as my daily driver

Dont discorage me im just trying to be and look like a successful young fellow

What do you guys recommend, im trying to really make my goals come true

Thank you guys!

Last edited by Nexjan; 04-02-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-02-2016, 05:07 PM
rsk

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 129
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Honestly your income doesn't matter as much as your income to debt ratio. Honestly if you take home 50k you could afford a maserati especially if you are good at saving. And save a decent amount for a few years first.

1997 f350 7.3 turbo diesel oxford white xlt 295k and going strong!
2005 f250 6.0 turbo diesel 219k and counting
2010 f350 6.4 twin turbo diesel platinum metallic white lariat crew cab short bed. 162k 550whp and 1030 tq. in street tune...
2003 A6 2.7 twin turbo 127k awd
1995 freightliner f112
1963 nova 4dr 6.0Ls swap in progress
post #3 of 19 Old 04-02-2016, 05:53 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 235
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
So....I'm not sure where to start. There are a lot of "life questions" that actually come into play. First off, I would agree with rsk that understanding income to debt ratio is an important factor. That said, I don't know if you are putting yourself through school, student loans other debt etc., but what I would say, starting off as debt free as you possibly can be if not totally debt free is a great way to embark on life's adventure.

Other factors that you would want to consider would be the cost of insurance and maintenance and just one person's perspective, when you land your job, max out your 401K and IRA...these should not be considered part of your disposable income. You should also sock away a percentage of your salary into savings and start to also build up some funds to start investing.

Based on a 50K salary, before 401K and IRA contributions, I believe your federal effective tax rate may be somewhere in the mid teen percentage so your take home on an annual basis is in the mid 3K per month range (I could be totally wrong...I'm not a tax guy hence why I have a tax guy ). That doesn't include state taxes (not sure where you live). Now you take out housing, food, clothing, insurance ( pretax medical, dental, vision), utilities, entertainment.....

Let's say a $60,000 pre owned GT...20% down brings the cost of the vehicle to 48,000. Tax, title and all the doc fees - let's say brings the out the door cost up to $51,800. Just throwing in a 3% interest rate for kicks and the monthly payments for 48 months would be $1,146.

There are so many factors here that on top of income to debt ratio, it is also about what type of life style you want, meaning, what do you do with your disposable income.

I believe there are some forum members that are in their 20's so maybe they can provide some further insight.

2012 GranTurismo Sport Cabrio Black/Black
2009 Aston Martin DBS, 6 speed manual, lightning silver/black

post #4 of 19 Old 04-03-2016, 12:35 AM
rsk

InnerCircle

Well said. i was saying a take home income of 50k a year or even 52,000 a year to further simplifiy it, so that's after all deductions, taxes, 401k ect. But yea driving the car and living like most other people with that car or any exotic certainly is not recommended on a take home salary of 50-52,000 a year even 60,000 I wouldn't go too wild, not sure what the median salary for an It guy is. But having the least amount of debt is ideal. But you don't want your total monthly debts more then 25% of your total monthly income. I'd try to earn as much as possible. I mean, it's tough to say what your hobbies are and what kind of lifestyle you want to live. Personally I like to go out to eat a fair amount and take several vacations, and when I go out, I eat bison, filet mignon, and 99% of the time pay cash, i don't eat at super fancy restaurants but a 20-30 dollar lunch is average for me and 120 dollar dinners for one aren't out of the question for me. But you may be very frugal and not go out to eat more then once a month. I also run a landscape business and control my income to a T and my cell phone bill is almost what most pay for insurance for their maserati...

2010 f350 6.4 twin turbo diesel platinum metallic white lariat crew cab short bed. 162k 550whp and 1030 tq. in street tune...
1995 freightliner f112
post #5 of 19 Old 04-03-2016, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 2
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well if it makes it simple on the calculations after i gradute this December,after i have 6 months after graduation il have to make a payment plan to pay back my school loan of 16k, right now i only pay for food and phone bill, would it be smart leasing or financing it if i only plan to drive it on the weekend like friday through sunday, would getting a job thats 25$ an hour enough? Right now i dont have credit but i dont mind building it with the car payments as long as i meet ends meet and have some cash left over for my needs ofcourse, im also gonna be paying for gas and repairs for a cheap car like an old honda, im trying to make a plan or map this all out so that i can start taking steps and actions to get it after i land a job ofcourse i also really appreciate you guys feed back its really helping me
post #6 of 19 Old 04-03-2016, 04:53 PM
rsk

InnerCircle

25/hr might be enough if you had that job for 2-3 years and lived very conservatively and had 20k in the bank and financed the car. Leasing a car is the most expensive way to drive a car. all the depreciation and maintenance costs and wear and tear is built into your monthly payment. The only way leasing works in your favor is if you own a business and you are using the car as an expense, then it helps you out. At 25/hr your take home after takes would probably be about 7-800 per which apparently is "average" according to my buddy but i know nothing about that. 16k is a really small student loan so that helps you out, once you get a job, but i'd start building credit with a credit card, buy something small and pay it off each month and you'll be golden. If you have no credit, i highly doubt you will get approved for an auto loan for 60-70,000 dollars gotta take small steps.

1995 freightliner f112
post #7 of 19 Old 04-03-2016, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 3,280
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post
If you have no credit, i highly doubt you will get approved for an auto loan for 60-70,000 dollars gotta take small steps.
And if you do, the interest rate will be outrageous.

LCDave
2006 Coupe CC Blu Nettuno Vintage with Forgestar wheels, FD: DBWEM & springs , BMC filter, SuperSprint De-Cat, custom cat delete headers, custom x-pipe with 100cell race cats, RRP valves, G&S Exclusive Granturismo front bumper
post #8 of 19 Old 04-03-2016, 05:38 PM
rsk

InnerCircle

Even after having credit for almost ten years, i still have what's considered a "short" credit history. I don't get denied anymore but for a few years when I didn't have any credit, i'd get denied for the smallest things because i didn't have enough credit, and my parents would not co-sign for anything, being self employed with a new business might have had a lot to do with it too. But i pay all my stuff on time and my credit is above average now.

1995 freightliner f112
post #9 of 19 Old 04-04-2016, 03:23 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Maserati Life Posts: 360
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Hey all,

I moved this thread to a more suitable section of the forum.

Enjoy the site!

Richard.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-05-2016, 09:10 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 21
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
22 year old MIS major and IT minor here. I am in the same boat as the OP, except my credit is amazing (760ish). I've been offered around $65k plus bonus already for when I graduate in December. I plan on living at home still while I pay off my $16-20k in student debt and work on my master's (which 70% will be reimbursed thru my company). I was thinking about getting a used honda or a cheap reliable car for my DD and then saving up for a few years and throwing down $15-20k as a down payment on a used GT. Any thoughts or considerations regarding this plan? Am I missing anything?
post #11 of 19 Old 04-05-2016, 11:44 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 30
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
@LG GT @rsk ...... Are you sure you're not accountants?
Nexjan, I understand where your coming from. For me, I got family and kids out of the way before I was able to get my Maserati QP.
It doesn't matter how much money you make, as long as you are smart with it! (ok, maybe it does matter, a little).
~J

~Jelzy

Just a simple girl in a complex world. Carpe Diem!

2007 Quattroporte
Mercedes ML320
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si (most likely in another country by now)
2014 Denali (The Mans)
Boston Whaler
Haynie
post #12 of 19 Old 04-05-2016, 11:48 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 41
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Because its affordable doesn't always mean its a good idea, in the long run build up some savings and stability and then go for it or consider cutting back on the vacations/meals etc. But for all I know you start at 65k and maybe get 200k in a few years ? I don;t know your industry but at 22 20k or 30k down + interest on a weekend car or put it into an investment/home etc that doubles up over the next few years and pays for your car in cash at 25 sounds better

just my 2 cents, worked for me
post #13 of 19 Old 04-06-2016, 12:57 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 235
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelzy View Post
@LG GT @rsk ...... Are you sure you're not accountants?
Nexjan, I understand where your coming from. For me, I got family and kids out of the way before I was able to get my Maserati QP.
It doesn't matter how much money you make, as long as you are smart with it! (ok, maybe it does matter, a little).
~J
Ooh - I'm sure if that is a compliment or a horse collar tackle - lol.

@nexjan and Bradley Berman - I applaud your passion for the brand and getting on this forum. I think a lot of great advice has been put on the table. As rsk mentioned, I too enjoy the occasional dinner out and a vacation and it's not fun to be either car poor or house poor - I've seen it and the type of unpleasant pressure it induces. I've seen people laid off of work after being with a company for 30 years and have seen people laid off after being with a company for only a few years. The story line here is that one never knows...as Jelzy said - just be smart. Remember, expenses rarely go down, they tend to go up.

I have the feeling that you both will make your goal a reality .
post #14 of 19 Old 04-06-2016, 01:04 AM
rsk

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazderati04 View Post
Because its affordable doesn't always mean its a good idea, in the long run build up some savings and stability and then go for it or consider cutting back on the vacations/meals etc. But for all I know you start at 65k and maybe get 200k in a few years ? I don;t know your industry but at 22 20k or 30k down + interest on a weekend car or put it into an investment/home etc that doubles up over the next few years and pays for your car in cash at 25 sounds better

just my 2 cents, worked for me
I agree with the investing, hence why i have my own business and don't work for someone else. I have been investing about 50k a year back into my business going onto the 5th year now, and i'm only using the landscaping as a stepping stone to bigger and better things, but the returns are huge. Small example i bought a brand new dump trailer for 10,500 and that piece of equipment gave me a 100% return 1st 30 days i owned it and it just finally 3 yrs later needed two tires which cost 250 dollars...and has made me 1000-2000 a day hundreds of times. But i like to eat ALOT!

Sorry to derail, but ya investing is smart especially if it's in yourself or real estate and it's done right.

1995 freightliner f112
post #15 of 19 Old 04-06-2016, 01:21 AM
rsk

InnerCircle

Honestly i know both of you mentioned buying cheap hondas, not sure how cheap you guys are talking, 10,000 cars, 5,000 honda or a 500 dollar honda, they are all cheap honda's, but i wouldn't go too cheap on your "daily driver". i've gone from a 300 dollar car to a 35,000 dollar truck and everything in between in a 9 year span and both have pro's and cons and i can say the 5000 dollar 2003 audi a6 2.7t twin turbo was an amazing car, awd, fun to drive, comfortable, nice looking, safe. Cheap on insurance..4 door. i wouldn't jump into a bare bones stripped out car to save a few dollars. buy something you like driving that fits into your budget. I'd daily drive a maserati gt personally. But that fits my budget and also would save me on taxes because it would be my "personal" vehicle so i'd get 100% of my Fuel deductions which is around 10,000 annually and growing.

1995 freightliner f112

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List