Agreed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 112 Old 12-14-2016, 02:34 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I agree with TravisJ on this. What's the most important thing at the end of the day is that you enjoy the car your driving and that you be confident with how you got there! If you managed to finance your car on your own sweat and tears then fingers up or whatever to all the people who think you're entitled. You know better. Chin up mate!
post #63 of 112 Old 02-23-2017, 09:33 PM
rsk

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 129
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
since i don't have one yet, still working towards one. I think people will think I'm more successful then I am, mainly because they know the brand Maserati and think exotic, like Lamborgini, and Ferrari or Bentley, and think ok that car cost as much as my house or half of what my house cost. how the hell did this "kid" buy that. what they don't know is that a used Maserati GT with 20-40k miles can be had for 40-60k easily. which is right on par with what a lot people in my neighborhood's "new" cars cost.

1997 f350 7.3 turbo diesel oxford white xlt 295k and going strong!
2005 f250 6.0 turbo diesel 219k and counting
2010 f350 6.4 twin turbo diesel platinum metallic white lariat crew cab short bed. 162k 550whp and 1030 tq. in street tune...
2003 A6 2.7 twin turbo 127k awd
1995 freightliner f112
1963 nova 4dr 6.0Ls swap in progress

post #64 of 112 Old 02-27-2017, 06:49 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 267
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Depends entirely on where you live and how old you are.
Just saw 8 granturismos (plus 4 ghibli, aventador sv, 488, 458, 2x California T) go past my house during my mid morning cigar.

Where I live 51%+ of exotics are owned or at least driven by 20-35yr olds
post #65 of 112 Old 02-27-2017, 09:18 PM
rsk

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 129
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungConnoisseur View Post
Depends entirely on where you live and how old you are.
Just saw 8 granturismos (plus 4 ghibli, aventador sv, 488, 458, 2x California T) go past my house during my mid morning cigar.

Where I live 51%+ of exotics are owned or at least driven by 20-35yr olds
around me 95% of the exotics are owned and mostly driven by the 50 and up crowd, a few of them let their kids drive there ferrari's and there's a pagani huayra near me, that a kid drives, there's only a few gran tursimo's near me, quite a few in the southern part of the state, but I only see 2 of them per year....one black 2013 and up and a white 2013 or newer. there's by far a lot more ferrari's... and most of them are owned 50-60 business owners or lawyers.

1997 f350 7.3 turbo diesel oxford white xlt 295k and going strong!
2005 f250 6.0 turbo diesel 219k and counting
2010 f350 6.4 twin turbo diesel platinum metallic white lariat crew cab short bed. 162k 550whp and 1030 tq. in street tune...
2003 A6 2.7 twin turbo 127k awd
1995 freightliner f112
1963 nova 4dr 6.0Ls swap in progress
post #66 of 112 Old 06-08-2017, 02:25 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaCinStylez View Post
lol,...my friends ask me the same thing. Im 25 with a quattroporte and they always say "Awesome car man, we really love it...but when you get older what do you have to look forward too?". I laugh and tell em, hover cars! haha Seriosuly though, the same question gets asked no matter who see the car. They always first assume its daddy's, or that my dad bought it for me. Once I tell them that no, its mine and I worked very hard for it. Then they say,..."oh you're a drug dealer?" "what do you do for a living?" . Never fails, everyone just has to know where the money comes from, dont they.
...indeed they do! I recently bought an '07 Exec GT with great mileage and in beautiful shape. When I brought it home my nosy neighbor sarcastically said to my wife..."Jeez, what did you two hit the f****** lottery or something?!?!?

Little do they recognize that I own and run a successful biz and further...I cant wait til I tell them that I paid less for it than they paid for their Toyota minivan....hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
post #67 of 112 Old 06-14-2017, 07:19 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 19
Garage
I think the notion of saying Maserati's can be had for little cost, compared to a new car is satire at best. Yes the cost of a Maserati on the used market is great value compared to a new BMW or (insert new car brand here) , however Maserati's are far more costly to own then say a new 3-series, or other premium sedan/coupe. Yes BMW's depreciate quite a bit from new, they do not however incur the cost of maintenance that a Modern Maserati goes through, and this in itself can deter people from adding a Mazer to the garage.

I purchased my 09 QP GTS for about the price of a new 3 series, however, I have already spent almost 7k within my first 1k miles of ownership. (Brakes/Tires/Oil/Belts/etc)

I purchased a brand new BMW 335i in 2014, which I owned for two years and lost about 15k in both depreciation and small maintenance items. The BMW came with a full warranty, I got a sizable discount off MSRP and never paid for maintenance items, except for tires because it was covered by BMW. I put over 40k miles on the vehicle, and got the white glove treatment everytime I brought the car in for service, free loaner car, car wash the works.

So in contrast, the new car still has better value over the Maserati, and it's the common sense choice made by millions, a need for a tool to commute, get from point a to point b comfortably. That's why cross overs took over the world. However any generation Maserati doesn't have that mission.

They often don't have the same warranties other manufactures have even from new. They require a great deal of attention to maintenance, where as a Lexus can get away with a missed oil change and faded brakes. They generally don't have the tech other cars have, I've been in a civic (a year older) with more advanced infotainment then my QP.

My QP doesn't have a warranty. I can get the white glove treatment if I spit out great money to Maserati. But all this doesn't irk me, I can afford the vehicle. And it's not my daily. I have a Yukon Denali and 16 Acura ILX for all the mileage I put down. It is however my pride and joy, my little piece of extra that I can look at before I go to bed and think, "yup, that's mine." It's my first choice to drive on a beautiful day, and believe me I drive my cars and truly enjoy them. But it's not the grocery getter.

So yes, Maserati's can be had for really good "deals", but what will always leave the prestige to guys in the Mazer club, is simply that we have a fantastic, fine and exotic Italian product and we can afford it and afford to keep them going like the day they left the showroom. Nothing snarky about it, just my two cents. Not everyone owns one, even the older ones that can be had for cents on the dollar, for a reason, and it's not because they are terrible cars.

The cars from Ferrari days will always keep there prestige, and along with the new ones because of that. But they will simply always be held in high regard because you won't see a budget baller driving a Maserati out of warranty as often as you'd see some guy driving a used 5-series on off-brand rims. They are rare, they are beautiful and no matter what gen, they always turn heads.

But in the end, for me anyway, it's a passionate love affair I have with the car, because it signifies more to me then just a mode of transport, and I feel in a way, that the attention I get in it is garnered because of that reason. The brand is truly special. Maserati built a car, that can extend my passion into a beautiful piece of art on four wheels. And it's glorious! Both visually and audibly .

2009 QP Sport GT S //
Nero on Nero

Last edited by SK10R; 06-14-2017 at 07:48 AM.
post #68 of 112 Old 06-14-2017, 03:27 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 128
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
When I've got my windows down I get "nice car!" from pedestrians in Manhattan.

Which is goddamn bizarre.
post #69 of 112 Old 07-10-2017, 06:18 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 7
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Smile Prestige of a Mas

I was about 6 blocks from the dealer's home in Las Vegas in my 2011 GT Cab and a guy in a BMW pulled up beside us and mouthed "Nice Ride Dude"...I felt like a million dollars as I'd owned the car less than 15 minutes and was already getting praises.

Like others here, I bought mine used and love it. I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and haven't seen more than 3 or 4 GTs yet, in 4 months. And NO convertibles. I looked a MB, BMW, Porsche, Audi, and Jaguar (I had a 2010 XK convertible that got totaled in December, so that's why I'm in the Mas). There were so damn many of them on the streets (other luxury GT cars) of my area, which is a nice upper middle class demographic. I wanted to be DIFFERENT. And, I've succeeded with it.

It's not my daily ride as I leave it in the garage with the least hint of bad weather. I've got a 2014 Lexus GX as a daily car..LOL.

As for service, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I take it in to the dealer for the first time and they max out my credit card...oh well.

Drive Safe...
post #70 of 112 Old 07-22-2017, 02:48 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,291
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
I also do not care ( and never have..) about anyone else's opinion or perception of what I drive, I buy cars purely for my own enjoyment ; I recently bought a 2013 GT Sport coupe , after 30 + years of driving Porsches . The GT is now my daily driver, the current Porsche is the weekend driver. It's time to spend my 2 hr daily commute to and from the office ( 2 hrs round trip that is ..) in the lap of luxury but without compromising too much in terms of performance . For me there were really only two choices : the granturismo sport, or the AM DB9 ( the latter being probably my favorite all time vehicle ) . After much consideration I chose the GT, mostly because from all I have read it seems the car is likely to spend considerably less time in the shop than the DB9 would ; the rarity of shops capable of working on Aston Martins, the time it would take to schedule the car in, more complex service and repair frequency , and I simply don't like to be without the use of my car so hopefully I made the right choice. After two months of owning the GT I am very pleased with all aspects of this car ! And as we all know that exhaust note is as beautiful as it gets ; perfectly balanced between the deep smooth rumble of the DB9 and the higher pitch raspiness of Ferraris ( the latter which I don't like all that much , but sound is a subjective topic so this is just my take on it ..). Ironically, as I mentioned before I have driven Porsches for most of my life , none of which came even close to having an exhaust note much above the " pathetic " category, but it was a compromise to be made in favor of what I think is the most phenomenal driving / handling experience of just about anything on the road , or the track . Anyway , back to the GT ; it's a superb automobile and IMO, no one should have any regrets owning it , no matter what other car you feel you might have done better with ..
post #71 of 112 Old 07-25-2017, 09:53 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlex View Post
i think maseratis are ingrained in the american consciousness more than other exotics. maybe its because of the maserati history at the indy 500 or the way the name rolls of the tongue or ... like in the movie "wall street" when michael douglas says "it's like my mother in law going over a cliff in my new maserati". why masearti?
Or Joe Walsh's line "My Maserati does 185..."

wmo777

2011 GranTurismo S
Bordeaux Pontevechhio

Last edited by William Kivett; 07-25-2017 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Didn't get the quote originally
post #72 of 112 Old 07-26-2017, 04:35 AM

InnerCircle

Fun lyrics , but I wonder which Maserati Joe Walsh was referring to, unless it was not a production / street car and maybe he had one of the "racing" models. If I recall, that song came out sometime in the late 70s ( 77 - 78 - 79 maybe ? ) and at that time I believe the Bora was the fastest Maserati around, but no way near 185 mph. Maybe 160 , max 165 on a slight downhill incline. Of course he could have had it heavily modified and I suppose it could indeed go 185 in that case. I had a Merak at the time ( the very basic '72 one with the smaller engine version ) and when the song came out I was thinking the only way I can get MY Maserati to do 185, would be to strap a jet engine to it. Maserati claimed a top speed of 150 for the original Merak, and although I bought the car used with about 25 K miles on it, and perhaps not in the best tuned shape, by about 130 mph, it completely ran out of steam .
Talk about the perception of a person who drove a Maserati compounded by doing that in one's mid 20s , and in Cleveland ! With the exception of Mercedes, most foreign cars and particularly exotic sports cars were viewed as toys of the ultra-rich . People must have thought I was a trust fund baby. Ha, far from it ; the car was practicalky rust bucket when I got it, and had a salvage title ( almost totaled in the first year of its existence by the first owner ) so it was very cheap , but hey , it was a MASERATI !!

Last edited by DSGT; 07-26-2017 at 05:07 AM.
post #73 of 112 Old 07-26-2017, 04:53 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 528
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGT View Post
Fun lyrics , but I wonder which Maserati Joe Walsh was referring to, unless it was not a production / street car and maybe he had one of the "racing" models. If I recall, that song came out sometime in the late 70s ( 77 - 78 - 79 maybe ? ) and at that time I believe the Bora was the fastest Maserati around, but no way near 185 mph. Maybe 160 , max 165 on a slight downhill incline. Of course he could have had it heavily modified and I suppose it could indeed go 185 in that case. I had a Merak at the time ( the very basic '72 one with the smaller engine version ) and when the song came out I was thinking the only way I can get MY Maserati to do 185, would be to strap a jet engine to it. Maserati claimed a top speed of 150 for the original Merak, and although I bought the car used with about 25 K miles on it, and perhaps not in the best tuned shape, by about 130 mph, it completely ran out of steam .
Talk about the perception of a person who drove a Maserati compounded by doing that in one's mid 20s , and in Cleveland ! With the exception of Mercedes, most foreign cars and particularly exotic sports cars were viewed as toys of the ultra-rich . People must have thought I was a trust fund baby. Ha, far from it ; the car was practicalky rust bucket when I got it, and had a salvage title ( almost totaled in the first year of its existence by the first owner ) so it was very cheap , but hey , it was a MASERATI !!
Great stories!

What happened to your Merak? As a 1972 MY it must be one of the earliest in the USA.

'74 Merak
'99 3200GT

Last edited by merak1974; 07-27-2017 at 10:05 AM.
post #74 of 112 Old 07-26-2017, 04:57 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 528
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGT View Post
Fun lyrics , but I wonder which Maserati Joe Walsh was referring to, unless it was not a production / street car and maybe he had one of the "racing" models....
His Maserati was a 5000GT (Allemano bodied). It probably did not 185, but it was one of the fastest production cars in the world when it was new (early 1960s).

'74 Merak
'99 3200GT
post #75 of 112 Old 07-27-2017, 04:51 AM

InnerCircle

Sold the Merak for about $ 3 K. But the undercarriage was really , really rusted ..probably could put your foot right through the floorboard. Sad, but before I bought it it was driven all year round , and the salt on the streets during winters in Cleveland will destroy just about any metal . Yes, I think it was among the very first Meraks in the U.S., the title showed 1972 but it may have been a 72 1/2..

5000 GT,.. I have to pull up a photo of that and see what they look like . Don't remember that one at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode