Perception of the person who drives a maserati - Page 3 - Maserati Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 112 Old 08-30-2009, 03:24 AM
 
Briik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC
Maserati Life Posts: 633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Q:
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeladler
The only problem I have with a 23 year old owning a new GT is what do they have to look forward to when they are 40 or 50 years old!
A: Retirement in a nice and cushy GranCabrio.

2006 GranSport, Maserati Corse Victory #65, Bianco Fuji
2006 Quattroporte Sport GT, Nero Carbonio Metallic
Briik is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 112 Old 08-30-2009, 02:40 PM
 
Join Date: May 2009
Maserati Life Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maserati and people

Some people hate, others love it, some will give you thumbs up, some will look with envy. Pity on them.

What is unique about the Maserati is the understated beauty of the design and finish, inside and outside, coupled with a highly performing driving car. There are faster, better, more expensive cars, but none has that quality of essential beauty that our beloved Maserati's have.

Surely you and your date will get more attention if she wore a black party skirt (skirts that fail to cover much if anything) and 6" thigh high boots, but is it really sexier than a little black dress?

Most people cannot tell if you have a Prada suit on because it is understated, but you do know what you have and you feel it when you have it. Owning a Maserati feels the same.

The car does not need to scream .. look at me, look at me, like my 2 year old .. it just knows it is beautiful.

George: Italians do not wear tuxedos, so no tux on your car

G
mvdv is offline  
post #33 of 112 Old 08-30-2009, 09:33 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Framingham, MA
Maserati Life Posts: 580
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvdv View Post
Some people hate, others love it, some will give you thumbs up, some will look with envy. Pity on them.

What is unique about the Maserati is the understated beauty of the design and finish, inside and outside, coupled with a highly performing driving car. There are faster, better, more expensive cars, but none has that quality of essential beauty that our beloved Maserati's have.

Surely you and your date will get more attention if she wore a black party skirt (skirts that fail to cover much if anything) and 6" thigh high boots, but is it really sexier than a little black dress?

Most people cannot tell if you have a Prada suit on because it is understated, but you do know what you have and you feel it when you have it. Owning a Maserati feels the same.

The car does not need to scream .. look at me, look at me, like my 2 year old .. it just knows it is beautiful.

George: Italians do not wear tuxedos, so no tux on your car

G
Thank you!

"If you haven't seen the future you haven't gone fast enough!"

2003 Maserati CC Black/Cuoio
1986 Mercedes 560 SL Black/Palomino
borgenhard is offline  
 
post #34 of 112 Old 08-31-2009, 06:26 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Maserati Life Posts: 1,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Gabriele, No tux but my sexy wife in her sexy black dress always works for me!

Thats all the accessories I need, and yes I'm sure people think we look cool in the car.
maseratisportgts is offline  
post #35 of 112 Old 08-31-2009, 02:57 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Shanghai, China
Maserati Life Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maseratisportgts View Post
"......and yes I'm sure people think we look cool in the car."
Maybe it's not what others think of Maserati drivers, but what Maserati drivers think of themselves that is so off-putting to the plebeian masses.
Napoli is offline  
post #36 of 112 Old 01-26-2011, 04:52 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Maserati Life Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Opinion

I really like this site. For the longest time i saw maserati as something very sleek and a ferrari for a not so ferrari price. I almost bought an 02 spyder but it was say junk, in terms of the f1 gearbox and rather fragile build quality. But with the gran turismo the whole idea changes. A Maserati Gran Turismo is i believe the most beautiful car in the world and in history of motoring. I believe it says power, passion, sexy, beauty and absolute coolness with some conservatism thrown in which equals total bad ass. I am 20 years old and will soon own one of these works of art and believe nothing comes close to the beauty and overall craftsmanship you get for the money. Absolutly a real drivers car, i do not know what they would make to surpass it, it seems the design would last forever. I even think fiat made a mistake because if this car had about 600 bhp standard, then a ferrari would never sell again. The best looking car this century! Also the guy that got it at 23 shoot me your email i would love to know what you do and we might be able to swap some ideas/ventures.
nationonline is offline  
post #37 of 112 Old 01-26-2011, 05:09 AM
 
GFORCED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Newport Beach
Maserati Life Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My perception of a Maserati driver is:

Quattroporte, a 50 or over professional male that makes over 350K per year and has a wife and kids in college or already professionals. He drinks scotch, golfs and smokes cigars occasionally.

GT, a guy in mid 30's to 40 with a good income, probably 350K or higher. Single and dates multiple chicks and his next car is a Lambo Gallardo. He smokes weed occasionally and likes to drink Vodka Red Bulls.

Not really sure why, but that's my own perception.

As for the question: "what do they have to look for when they're 40 or 50?" Ok that's 25 years, yes? Probably a 1,000HP hybrid that weighs 1,500 pounds. Comes with optional wings and light-speed drive.

2006 Quattroporte Sport GT
GFORCED is offline  
post #38 of 112 Old 01-26-2011, 11:11 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Maserati Life Posts: 628
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCED View Post
My perception of a Maserati driver is:

Quattroporte, a 50 or over professional male that makes over 350K per year and has a wife and kids in college or already professionals. He drinks scotch, golfs and smokes cigars occasionally.

GT, a guy in mid 30's to 40 with a good income, probably 350K or higher. Single and dates multiple chicks and his next car is a Lambo Gallardo. He smokes weed occasionally and likes to drink Vodka Red Bulls.

Not really sure why, but that's my own perception.

As for the question: "what do they have to look for when they're 40 or 50?" Ok that's 25 years, yes? Probably a 1,000HP hybrid that weighs 1,500 pounds. Comes with optional wings and light-speed drive.
I touched on this in another thread in this forum, but I do think that the fact that an '05 QP goes for low to mid 30-40K is not something to forget about. You simply do not need to pull in 350K per year to drive a Maserati. New ones are expensive, and I don't see many 23 yr olds that could pull that cash out anytime soon (most have just graduated from university). However, if you make a decent living (even well below 100K per year) you can buy an '05 up to '08 for the price of a tricked out 2011 Acura.

Buy the car because you love it. I live in a small town, and I didn't buy the car for flash (I can afford to buy a Ferrari or Lambo for that matter), I bought it because I love the Maserati brand.....that and the fact that my dad paid for it

Seriously, most people around my area drive around in Ford F150s, and a new one optioned out is more expensive than an early model coupe or QP, so the perception of a Maserati owner (not speaking to GFORCED comments above, but by the general public) is sometimes based on lack of knowledge of the used car market. It's also good to keep in mind that buying a used QP for circa 40K in your 20s isn't such a stretch, especially if you don't have the other costs associated with life, like children, a mortgage, and saving for your children's education and your retirement.

2011 Quattroporte Sport GT S

Last edited by bvanzyl; 01-26-2011 at 11:52 AM.
bvanzyl is offline  
post #39 of 112 Old 01-26-2011, 04:08 PM
 
GFORCED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Newport Beach
Maserati Life Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanzyl View Post
I touched on this in another thread in this forum, but I do think that the fact that an '05 QP goes for low to mid 30-40K is not something to forget about. You simply do not need to pull in 350K per year to drive a Maserati.

Seriously, most people around my area drive around in Ford F150s, and a new one optioned out is more expensive than an early model coupe or QP, so the perception of a Maserati owner (not speaking to GFORCED comments above, but by the general public) is sometimes based on lack of knowledge of the used car market.
Great post bvanzyl! The question was my "perception." Let me rephrase: If you have a friend or see a stranger wearing a Kiton, Brioni, Zilli, etc. suit you would think immediately this guy has class, taste and cares about his appearance and makes a very good living. These suits are 5K new and you would never think someone had purchased a used suit. You also would not think, "This guy picked up this suit at a pawn shop and paid $150." Or "His dad probably gave it to him." Or "I bet this suit was a salvaged suit and he had it rebuilt."

I simply see a car on the road and think that the guy that drove it bought it new and its been his for the duration. Has nothing to do with "lack of knowledge" as I don't think anyone on this site knows what a used Italian suit goes for, and would never consider people wearing used suits...But old suits gotta go somewhere, and they're on eBay by the hundreds.

The question for me is, would a guy that makes 70K a year wear a Kiton or drive a Maserati? Odds say no and say that he's successful, or on his way. Really, I don't know alot of broke guys driving Maseratis or any that would even consider one.

2006 Quattroporte Sport GT
GFORCED is offline  
post #40 of 112 Old 01-26-2011, 04:44 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Maserati Life Posts: 628
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCED View Post

I simply see a car on the road and think that the guy that drove it bought it new and its been his for the duration. Has nothing to do with "lack of knowledge" as I don't think anyone on this site knows what a used Italian suit goes for, and would never consider people wearing used suits...But old suits gotta go somewhere, and they're on eBay by the hundreds.
By "lack of knowledge", I was not implying stupidity or anything like that.
When I see what is an ostensibly expensive car, I actually do ask myself, I wonder if that is new or used. I ask because I'm into cars, and have always been amazed at how cheap once expensive cars can be a few years and thousand clicks down the road.

The fact is that most people have no idea just how cheap you can pick up a used Maserati. As a result, perception of the Maserati owner is skewed (sometimes in a negative way, for say, 23 yr old guys) because the people doing the judging have never looked for, or imagined that a Maserati can sell for less than the cost of an American pickup truck.

Used cars are common in our society, and people buying and driving used cars are a part of the infrastructure of the automobile industry. I'm not sure the same is true of Italian suits or designer clothing. The more appropriate analogy there would be the "designer knock-off" trade where people aren't buying used expensive items, but buying cheap, fake items. That is not what I was getting at in my original post.


2011 Quattroporte Sport GT S
bvanzyl is offline  
post #41 of 112 Old 01-26-2011, 10:26 PM
 
The Wongster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern VA
Maserati Life Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm no longer a young man anymore, but I normally get compliments on the car. OP-I wouldn't let any negative comments get to you. At 23 you have shown financial responsibility, I wish that more people could do the same instead of asking for a free handout.

Wongster
-----------------------
The Wongster is offline  
post #42 of 112 Old 01-27-2011, 02:15 AM
 
Andrew224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Plainfield, IL, USA
Maserati Life Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wongster View Post
I'm no longer a young man anymore, but I normally get compliments on the car. OP-I wouldn't let any negative comments get to you. At 23 you have shown financial responsibility, I wish that more people could do the same instead of asking for a free handout.
That's funny that you say that because the OP decided to sell his GT so that he could be in a better financial position. Again, a very mature and intelligent thing to do. I'm sure we'll see him in another Maserati in the future.

https://www.maseratilife.com/forums/g...goodbye-i.html

Andrew
Currently Maserati-less
Andrew224 is offline  
post #43 of 112 Old 01-28-2011, 03:19 AM
 
Sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Miami
Maserati Life Posts: 1,425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Has our country changed that much? This is America, where one is pushed to succeed and enjoy the rewards without any guilt. And where there is a massive number of wealthy people. Personally, I would rather see my financial adviser with a supercar because it means he is doing a great job, or he got a great deal. If not, I would ask myself: is he lying to me, is he hiding a better car than a Volvo for example, is he really a top adviser?

Enjoy your car, I enjoy mine. The perception in Miami is mostly that it is a supercar, gorgeous, fast, but a car that speaks about the great taste and class of its owner. Of course, going to South Beach is different: Ferrari engine, very sexy design, luxury, and many girls have a quick smile on a Friday night or Saturday night. Life is good...

17 Ghibli S - 17 Range Rover Supercharged - 14 Cadillac CTS (gone) - 12 BMW 535 (gone) - 07 Quattroporte ZF (gone) - 06 Audi A8L (gone)
Sunshine is offline  
post #44 of 112 Old 06-12-2011, 06:11 AM
 
Kip Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Maserati Life Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My Maserati is the talk of the town. It's a very small town, 1,400 ish. Across the Columbia river from us is Hood River Or., 11,000 ish. I work in HR at a company of 800 or so people. I am the very first employee hired 17 years ago, so most employees know me. The other day a friend at work was going to have me come over to his house and surprise his girlfriend and give her ride it. The night before he was going to have me over his girlfriend told him I got a Maserati! And I don't know her very well at all. Like I said, small town. How do people think of me now? I really don't know. When people see the car they love it.

Kip
Kip Jackson is offline  
post #45 of 112 Old 06-14-2011, 02:15 PM
 
sasso1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: long island
Maserati Life Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Well when I got my coupe everyone complimented me on the purchase , and all assumed I must be doing very well. Mind you some of my friends drive brand new 750s s classes and ferraris . But all were impressed. So maserati owners are perceived all people with lots of disposable income to throw away on 2 door sports cars from the boot country. And perceived on the same level as Ferrari owners
sasso1977 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome