Old 02-15-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 4,111
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Mercedes CL63 or SL550?

I don't want to make it any more complicated than that. Given these two options, which do you put in your garage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 11:30 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 240
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Tops down to the SL550. Looks sportier and I have no use for a rear seat. Although the extra 100 hp would be nice.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
Tops down to the SL550. Looks sportier and I have no use for a rear seat. Although the extra 100 hp would be nice.
Yes the extra muscle is appealing, but the CL63 is such a heavier car that those 100 horses might be lost in its battle against friction and inertia. Performance specs are similar between the two. The SL must feel more nimble though.

One concern is the cockpit. The CL is much classier whereas the SL has a nice sporty look and feel. Different by a large degree. Would the CL feel too... I dunno... upper crusty and stoic? I'm more of a sweatpants and t-shirt guy - not a suit - and although the CL63 is very sexy, and more aggressive than an SL, it might leave me feeling that I've added 20 years to my age.

Or maybe not. Maybe the driving experience removes that champagne and caviar vibe. That's why I'm hoping for opinions.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:33 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,353
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Garage
Well the rear seats aren't really for passengers in my opinion. There's really not enough room back there. I know here in the U.S. it's cheaper on insurance to have them.

Personally, I don't think either would leave me feeling I've added age.

The looks of the CL are much more tame to me outwardly. The SL car is more of a "look at me" car. I don't like the long design of the SL either. It's the reason why I went with the C55 AMG opposed to the E series. I plan in the near future to go with the C63 Coupe, but again that's all just preference.

If the performance of the car is what you are seeking, along with how it corners, etc, etc. I think test drives are in order. At times I've stood outside cars and thought this car really is what I would want to drive. A quick test drive proved other wise.

I don't know if I've helped but if it was me I probably would make my final decision after a good road test after trying both of them.

Last edited by Craig; 02-16-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

That's helpful, and a test drive is definitely in order, I just like stocking my brain with info before stepping into a dealership.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Any other SL or CL owners/drivers/aficionados out there?

My sights have turned toward winter weather. The CL is reportedly very strong in slippery conditions with proper winter tires. I've not heard much about the SL, a lighter car.

I think my heart says SL550 while my head says CL63. As a Maserati owner, obviously I listen to my heart, but neither can help if I drift into a ditch (referring to the car, not my personal life ).
Old 02-22-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Bump.

I know you guys/girls are out there!
Old 02-22-2015, 08:15 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Bump.

I know you guys/girls are out there!
elambo. I was a CL/SL aficionado for a long time. Before i got my Bimmer 650 drop (prior to my QP), i was thinking of the CL. So here are my thoughts.

Hands down, the CL63 takes the cake between the two choices in terms of luxury, sportiness, exhaust grunt (which would be closer to the Masi than the standard V8 on the SL550) and toys/features on the inside.
The CL, has that big body appeal that really makes a statement when you pull up, coupled with the AMG Kit, i think it offers a more aggressive appeal as well.

Don't get me wrong, in the summer time, or if you're in warm climate year round, you're the life of the party in your drop top, but if you get a clean CL63 with the 20 inch AMG wheels, you're good to go.

If you were talking about the CL550 versus the SL550, i would say do the SL, but since you are talking about the Beefy CL63 vs the SL550, GO CL63.

A couple of questions though.. Are you replacing your Masi with this new car, or adding to the stable. Also, what year are you looking at? The 2011 has the most refined look with the LEDs.

Enjoy!
Old 02-23-2015, 12:58 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 182
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm a CL veteran, while I wanted to love the car, I threw in the towel. Went with a new 650i and it's twice the car. Kicking around thoughts on the new S-Coupe, but I'm so happy with the BMW that MB would have to prove itself again.

The newer Merc's just weren't doing it for me. I do like the 2011-12 SL550's, but again the technology isn't close to what you can get for the same money in other cars. The CL suffered from suspension issues. Front/Rear sub frame bushings, ABC pumps etc....

HOWEVER , just drive both and see what you like. I do like the bigger Coupe's and the CL is a great ride if you get a good one. I still own a W124 coupe and after 20 years, for me, these were the real/great era for M Benz.

Best of luck.

ACCD

2012 Gran Turismo S AKA-NINO
2013 BMW 650i AKA - Bruno
MB 300CE
HD Deuce

MB CL500
NSX-(sold :( )
Old 02-23-2015, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

...leaning toward the CL63 at this point.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:41 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 143
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
So what was the verdict? I liked the argument for the cl63 and the bimmer. I have a Mercedes e coupe. Come to the conclusion any one and everyone has a Benz. Did you sell your maserati?
Old 04-03-2015, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

I still have an eye on CL63s but they're not easy to come by. There was one in my areas last month but it wasn't quite right and it sold quickly.

I've driven a couple cars since then and when I get back into the GT I typically say the same thing: "how could I sell this?" So I'm in no hurry but I do have a friend who manages a Merc store looking for CL63s. If/When he gets one which is close to my wish list I'll drive it and if it feels right I'll probably even spring for it. It would need to be a tremendous car because these GTs are addicting.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:13 PM

did a little looking around...cars.com has 112 in the usa listed. i have a friend in chicago that sourced my maserati for me. he has sold two cl 63s in the last month (spring time i guess) but doesn't have any now. he'd be happy to source one for you. he can the exact car you want if you give him time. my neighbor is the sales manager at RBM of alpharetta i can tell him to be on the lookout or better put you in touch with him. he has a list of clients and what they have. he calls the one with the car you have and says "you have had that thing for a year and never drive it. I have a guy that wants it. how about i put you in this year's model. i can pick it up tomorrow". nice, huh? i'm there all the time with my mb (unfortunately). good luck that's a gorgeous car and probably the better DD if you have to choose. let me know if i can help. Jim
Old 04-03-2015, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Much obliged, Jim! If I decide to go that route I'll let you know.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:49 PM

some good cl's here elambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
...leaning toward the CL63 at this point.
the MB forum has a for sale page there are some cherry looking rides here. some people have posted want to buy as well.

Mercedes Vehicles - MBWorld.org Forums

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List