post #1 of 16 Old 08-31-2014, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 4,111
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Alfa Romeo 4C. What do you think?

I think it's a sexy beast, especially the Launch Edition. Small, but very lightweight with liberal amounts of carbon fiber. Horsepower isn't a lofty number but enough to get this tiny carriage to 60 mph in less than 4.5 seconds (some reports have claimed just over 4 seconds). It's lacking on several modern amenities, but I suspect that, as a pure driver's car, it'll be a lot of fun. The Launch is limited to only 500 cars in the US this year so demand will be high. I'm tempted but as a GT owner I'm relatively certain that I'd regret it.

I suspect that this car will be intensely beautiful in person. And for a car with only 4 cylinders the noise is impressive.

Thoughts? Anybody on the waiting list?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-31-2014, 07:55 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
A friend has the 8C, which is like a re-bodied GranSport. So I loved it

On paper, the 4C didn't seem impressive, I was sort of disappointed to be honest. But when I finally took a peak at the final thing, it changed my mind. The car is indeed a drivers track/race car for the road, very nimble, very fast. Here is why it was disappointing "on paper", because it looked like it was underpowered, but with such a lightweight construction and racing "setup" the whole thing is unexpectedly fast. Did I mention the engine and exhaust audio track? Niiiice.

Sure, it has no storage (yep you read it right, NO boot space whatsoever). but this is not a normal car. I think the only car that compares to it, is the Ferrari F40... thats right, they are very similar. Edgy, pure and hardcore.

Everything I expected from an Alfa Romeo... Alfa, welcome back !!!!

PS:
It is very hard to predict the future, we all wonder if this or that car will become the next "classic" after 30 years, but the 4C is probably looking as a very unique car that may one day reach such status. It may not reach "daytona" prices, but it will be a lot more unique and classic than todays Ferrari 308.

Just my opinion...

--

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig, you get dirty; and besides, the pig likes it.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-31-2014, 01:54 PM
AJF

Maserati Life Posts: 723
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
...I'm tempted but as a GT owner I'm relatively certain that I'd regret it...
Same here. Especially if it would be replacing my GT .

I think it would be a fantastic weekend car, or a second car, but I use my GT as a DD and I doubt the 4C could replace that function. I'm sure that after 45 minutes in the 4C that I'd be looking to get out and stretch my legs.

I think we sometimes forget how "practical" our GT cars are compared to true Sports cars. Just yesterday my wife and I went out to dinner and on the way home we stopped at Costco. She filled the trunk with more than would even fit in the passenger side of the 4C lol. And I'm sure that I'd be able to use the passenger seat as a trunk because I know my wife would not want to ride in that car.

All of the reviews have been fairly glowing for the 4C, but I just found one that isn't so glowing. And it's for the Launch Edition: 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition Track Package First Test - Motor Trend

2014 GranTurismo Sport
2011 550 S Class
2009 F-150 SuperCrew

post #4 of 16 Old 08-31-2014, 02:23 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 545
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Personally, I struggle to find it beautiful. I think it's too short a car to have those drastic curves everywhere.

The lack of any boot space means even a weekend away for two would be a bit of a struggle in it. So it can only serve as a third car.... Although as a daily commuter, it might paradoxically be ok, since I don't carry anything other than a small shoulder bag to work.

In any case, I am glad they got rid of those horrible black headlights that looked like mutated eyes.

1989 Mazda MX6 GT 4WS
1997 Porsche Boxster
2006 Lexus RX330
2007 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT
post #5 of 16 Old 08-31-2014, 02:50 PM
AJF

Maserati Life Posts: 723
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinster View Post
In any case, I am glad they got rid of those horrible black headlights that looked like mutated eyes.
They're still there on the base 4C. Why is beyond me since just about every comment I've read mentions them and how weird and ugly they are. And especially since they have the great looking ones on the Launch and Spider versions.

2014 GranTurismo Sport
2011 550 S Class
2009 F-150 SuperCrew
post #6 of 16 Old 08-31-2014, 03:29 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,425
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Alfa is on the way up, more models to come soon. I watched a few videos about the 4C. Definitely different but not a car I would have on my list (design, no power assistance for the steering wheel, ...). Or it could be a 3rd of 4th car for weekends if money is no object (not even sure about this). It does not replace cars such as the GranTurismo in my opinion, by a wide margin. Whatever pleases you is what matters...

Glad that Alfa is coming back to life...

17 Ghibli S - 17 Range Rover Supercharged - 14 Cadillac CTS (gone) - 12 BMW 535 (gone) - 07 Quattroporte ZF (gone) - 06 Audi A8L (gone)
post #7 of 16 Old 08-31-2014, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserati Blue View Post
NO boot space whatsoever
No kidding? That minor thing is actually a deal-breaker for me.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-31-2014, 08:28 PM

Guys, this is not a normal car. Just think of it as a mini F40... we are talking about a race car for the road. Definitely not a replacement of a normal car!!!

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, the 4C is a competitor to the Lotus Exige.

Maybe the media hasn't given enough attention to the fact that this is nearly a race car and nothing like a real car. The last article that I read about the 4C was in the TopGear magazine, and they clearly stated how raw this car is (they liked everything except the F1 gearbox).

--

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig, you get dirty; and besides, the pig likes it.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-31-2014, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Alfa is marketing the 4C as a normal car. Very drivable. A DD even. I've talked to my local dealer and he's echoing the same sentiments. I'm not suggesting that that's what it actually is, only that that's the impression they're trying to give.

To me, based upon the materials I've read and the reviews I've seen, it seems far more practical than an F40 but far less practical than an Accord. Somewhere in the middle. Not a DD though. A fun weekend car.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 4,261
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Love the 4C, but certainly as a weekend/track toy

1934 - 1938 - 1982 - 2006

BigFoot's YouTube Channel dedicated to Maserati
post #11 of 16 Old 09-01-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Alfa is marketing the 4C as a normal car. Very drivable. A DD even. I've talked to my local dealer and he's echoing the same sentiments. I'm not suggesting that that's what it actually is, only that that's the impression they're trying to give.
That would be like the sales man on a video store, trying to sell you a XXX hard core p0rn film, that you can watch with your kids and all your extended family.

well, they probably haven't seen a 4C in the flesh or driven one. They'll definitely change their opinion if they drive one. It can't possibly be a weekend car or anything like that, unless you have a support/follow vehicle behind you, and you are wearing earplugs the whole way

its hard core and I love it! (the car not the p0rn film!)

--

post #12 of 16 Old 09-01-2014, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

That's funny, though I don't see the analogy nearly the same way. Sure, it lacks a trunk (which is asinine in my opinion) but in MOST other ways it remains functional off the track and on the city/country streets. It won't be rated with the Honda Accord for utilitarian functionality but I still see it as a viable car and not purely a racer. It's true, I've not driven it, and may never, but I think we can tell enough from the specs.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-01-2014, 09:37 PM

well, you could argue that a Lotus Exige also appears as a normal car from the specs, you can have carpets, radio and all sort of extras, but it remains a track car. I think the 4C is very similar to that.

But we'll see from the owners who actually buy them, they'll tell us more...

--

post #14 of 16 Old 09-08-2014, 02:14 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 242
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
demand will be high. I'm tempted but as a GT owner I'm relatively certain that I'd regret it.

I suspect that this car will be intensely beautiful in person. And for a car with only 4 cylinders the noise is impressive.

Thoughts? Anybody on the waiting list?

Has a formal wait list opened? Itching to get but will probably wait on the Quadrifoglio version (and give them a year or so to iron out some of the inevitable bugs)

2014 Quattroporte S Q4
2011 GranTurismo S
2006 GranSport LE
post #15 of 16 Old 09-08-2014, 02:45 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,584
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Tiv View Post
Has a formal wait list opened?
Most definitely, yes. In fact, the local dealer informed me that their first allotment of four cars was already sold.

1989 Zagato Spyder
1967 Mistral 4000
2006 GranSport (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode