Paint Chip Problem - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-05-2014, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Paint Chip Problem

I have 11,000 miles on my 2012 GTS. I wash the car by hand weekly, and did not drive it all winter due to the poor condition of the roads here in the NY area. When I was applying a paint sealer this weekend, I noticed over a hundred tiny chips in the paint, running from behind the front wheel all the way to the back wheel, and about half way up the doors. Some are large, but most look like white pin pricks in the paint. The car is black, so it looks terrible. I have not seen a car look like this since manufacturers perfected the use of clearcoat back in the '80's. I love this car and cannot tell you how careful I am about where I drive it. It is hard for me to believe the paint is so easily damaged. My last vehicle was a black Mercedes SL550 and it looked like new after 3 years and 36,000 miles. This problem is enough to keep me from buying another Maserati. Has anyone else had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-01-2015, 01:12 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 18
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
"pin prick" paint chips too !

Hi , my name is Andy and I have a 2012 Quattroporte S , Blu Oceano with only 15,000+ mls.
I too live in NYC & navigate our terrible roads like you , with my baby . I have noticed a growing # of tiny " pin prick " markings on the bottom car frame , concentrated mostly in the lower corner , where the rear door meets the car frame before the rear wheel well area . Being a dark blue in color it really is most noticeable when the car is showcased in the bright sunlight ! I have discussed this defect with the Dealer who took pics & submitted them for approval to the parent company . [ Maserati of NA in NJ ] Maserati e-mailed me with their evaluation that this was NOT a maker defect but caused by a " road problem " !!!
I feel the " chipping " is caused by " road throwback " thrown back from the front tires that bypasses the front stock mud guards affixed inside the front wheel wells .
If you find out anything else to solve our problem please let me know via e-mail .
My e-mail address is : [email protected]
This is a most annoying problem & makes my blood boil every time I view this defect !

Good Luck , Andy
post #3 of 10 Old 02-02-2015, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 5
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Andy, I appreciate your response. Sorry to hear you are having the same issue, and love the color of your car. I was also told this was a "road problem". This paint problem has continued to grow even though I now drive the car only to the golf course on weekends. In addition, my sound system in the car continues to only work when it feels like it. Maserati refused to replace the unit even after having it in for service for two weeks. Their response was a "free" software update that they said they normally charge for. Are you kidding me? The software update did not fix the problem, and no one even followed up to see if my issue was resolved. Don't get me wrong, in spite of these issues, I still love my car. When the sound system is not working, I just listen to the beautiful sound of the engine. I just can't reward them by buying another Maserati. Whether the poor service is a dealer problem, or a manufacturer problem, I will never know, but if they plan to grow in the US like they talk about, they better start treating customers better. I think I am going to try a Ferrari. I understand that they treat their customers like platinum.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-02-2015, 03:46 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 17
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Your best bet is to have it repainted and the chips removed - while being repainted make sure a proper flex additive is used to prevent future chips, then take it to a detail professional to buff/polish the areas after the paint has cured, make sure a nanoceramic enamal layer is added by the detail professional over the car, for more protection.

Beyond that, you can also then have a clear bra placed around the problem areas to eliminate the issue from ever returning.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-02-2015, 04:37 PM

Thanks for your feedback / remedies guys . It is a real shame that an honored, 100 yr. old elite car maker resorts to " nickel and dime " band-aid fixes ! Good luck with your current problems and thanks again C2H50H for your advice .
post #6 of 10 Old 02-02-2015, 10:40 PM

BTW , bar1019 , if you are in the NYC 5 boros / LI area I would like to know if you could recommend a private Maserati repair shop or trusted qualified private mechanic to use .

Thanks , Andy
post #7 of 10 Old 02-03-2015, 11:09 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 17
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine52 View Post
Thanks for your feedback / remedies guys . It is a real shame that an honored, 100 yr. old elite car maker resorts to " nickel and dime " band-aid fixes ! Good luck with your current problems and thanks again C2H50H for your advice .
Don't judge Maserati too harshly on this, all are guilty.

Here (Ferrari Cabriolet) => http://i.imgur.com/ishdqwX.jpg

Above is 50/50 Split photo of a Ferrari Cabriolet, just out of the factory with only "4" miles on the odometer, notice the swirls in the Before & After of the paint showing the factory look, versus 40 hours spent on car polishing to remove all paint defects.

The truth is - all factory paint jobs are shit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ferraricabriolet.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	42026  
post #8 of 10 Old 02-03-2015, 01:08 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 742
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I feel your pain.... A black car is a another full time job.

I own an 11 GTS black on black. Its a full time job keeping her glowing! Fortunately I have a love for detailing.

Every 6 months I will give her a full correction, wash, clay bar, wolfgang uber compound, wolfgang polish and finally wolfgang sealant with a PC. It takes me a solid 10 hours. Its a labor of love.

I have noticed the little chips as well. I can reduce the visual impact of many of them through this detail process. However the real deep white ones I have touched up.

My touch up process is also a little intense cause I am nuts and look at the panels of my car under 5000 watt shop lights. lol.

I bought black touch up paint with clear mixed in from FM/NJ. I will clean the chip, fill it in, then dry it with a hair dryer. Making sure I put a little more paint in the mark so it looks like a pimple. Then I will lightly sand it with 2500 grit paper to level it, then hit it with the compound and polish and sealant. Results are simply stunning. Blends perfect. Check out you tube for the process.

However I had a friend at a car show simply hit some of his chip marks with a black sharpie and it was very acceptable. The white color bumps look terrible.

The other alternatives would be to get the panel resprayed, I am not a fan of that at this point because I can buff and fill and seal. Or get the bottom areas wrapped? This is very interesting to me because they may be able to match the color very closely and just wrap the lower portion of the door panels. If you can not see the seam this would be ideal.

They make awesome coatings from what I have heard, Opitcoat etc. but the key is to make sure everything is perfect before you seal, so you will want a complete correction and touch up first. Something like that is probably gonna cost you 1,500 - 2,000 for the top guys in your area. Again awesome choice.

Lastly you can cover the area with clear film to prevent more chips but again you may want to fill in and or correct the area as best you can.

Ulitimately I will do the best I can knowing that black cars are the toughest cars to maintain! AND our cars kick up a ton of rocks.

Perhaps someone could design some cool looking mud flaps. lol

Good luck with your chip removal! CM
post #9 of 10 Old 02-03-2015, 01:21 PM

Thanks Chris , in-depth identification , solution process . Much appreciated .
post #10 of 10 Old 02-03-2015, 01:24 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,353
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Garage
@bar 1019 and Wolverine 52 can you guys please post photos of the parts of the car you are speaking of? (not as attachments, embed them in your posting).I would like to see the actual damaged areas. My first initial thoughts are that I don't agree that it's a road issue but I want to see the outer clear coat areas first.

Additionally, if you are going to take your vehicle in to get the areas redone, let me know before you do so, and I will give you recommendations for clear coats. The PPG paint will be easy to match if the person is using the PPG paint system already.

Some Clear coats are harder than others when they cure, they also are judge by clarity/transparency. Most shops just use a production clear which looks absolutely gorgeous when it's first cleared but then gets milky after a year or two.

@C2H50H I agree with you about factory paint to a degree. Most of the cars have slight orange peel when you buy them off the lot. Looks like that F car was washed with a rag a hundred other cars were washed with. All of those micro abrasions shouldn't have been in that car. That's crazy.

But that was done to the car after it was painted, either by a person (or a machine wash) not the paint itself. It seems that in the situation above (haven't seen the photos yet) it's the actual clear coat breaking down from slight abrasive road debris. Normally this doesn't happen unless their is an actual clear coat issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode