post #1 of 10 Old 01-28-2014, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 4,111
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
May ditch the GT. Opinions on Merc E65?

After today's flat tire in the GT and the headache that followed I'm yet another step closer to trading in this bucket of hassles. The E-series AMG has always appealed to me. It has an impressive balance of class and insane performance.

Any experiences or thoughts you'd want to share? Or if not the E63, what else? I'm addicted to GT power and handling (I could give up a little of the handling) so I'm not looking for a Buick.

(just realized it's a 63, not 65)

Last edited by elambo; 01-28-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-28-2014, 04:03 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Correct me if I'm wrong but the hassles that I remember so far are the dealer attitude, the trunk opening, the battery and now the flat tire. Are these enough to ditch the GT and buy another car?

I had issues with the battery once and a few warning linked to the gas cap that had to be changed. But overall these issues (or yours) would not push me to sell the car. Or is there something else that we do not know?

The E-63 is a fantastic performer. But my opinion is that it does not have the class and sexiness that the GT has, and by a wide margin. Day and night between the 2 models.

Actually I would even choose a Ghibli over an E (Ghibli V8 soon for top performances).

Are these "hassles" really worth trading the car?

Whatever we may say on this Forum, at the end it is your choice and only yourself knows what is best for you. Carpe Diem...

17 Ghibli S - 17 Range Rover Supercharged - 14 Cadillac CTS (gone) - 12 BMW 535 (gone) - 07 Quattroporte ZF (gone) - 06 Audi A8L (gone)
post #3 of 10 Old 02-19-2014, 02:01 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 182
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The E63 is a nice car.

You'll get there with the MB, you will ARRIVE when your drive up in the Maserati....

Just apples to oranges.

ACCD

2012 Gran Turismo S AKA-NINO
2013 BMW 650i AKA - Bruno
MB 300CE
HD Deuce

MB CL500
NSX-(sold :( )

post #4 of 10 Old 02-19-2014, 07:05 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,016
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCD View Post
The E63 is a nice car.

You'll get there with the MB, you will ARRIVE when your drive up in the Maserati....

Just apples to oranges.
'Nuff Said!

I too agree with Sunshine. Is there something else that we've missed??
post #5 of 10 Old 02-19-2014, 05:34 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 503
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have to agree. The E63 is fantastic, but I much prefer the soul of a Maserati as a temporary departure from the doldrums of day to day insanity.

Nick

Drive your car like it was meant to be driven. It may be a piece of art, but life is too short to just look at it sitting still.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-22-2014, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCD View Post
The E63 is a nice car.

Just apples to oranges.
I'm not at all interested in feeling like I've arrived, it's entirely about the car and how I would (or would not) connect with it. How it drives from the standpoint of performance. How reliable it is. How excited I will be to drive it each day. Given, the Mas is a driver's car, and the E63 is aiming to cover more bases. So it's initial driving impressions as compared to a GT that I'm seeking.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-22-2014, 02:06 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 59
maser/merc

get the benz and keep the maser (its the 3pedal right?) i don't get the flat tire... the masers have hit rock bottom values and are kinda flatlining... don't see that changing for a while. i have 3 mercs but would be hard pressed to give up the maser
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-9.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	22649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	22657  
post #8 of 10 Old 08-03-2014, 05:25 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 3
E63 or Maserati?

I have a 2014 E63 AMS-S, white, carbon fiber, all the fixings. I own it maybe 9 months and I am a bit bored. I knew this would happen. It is a great car, super poweful, sexy, etc... but its not the head turner that a Maserati is, lacks the total sexiness and sports car feel. Can it to 0-60 in 3.2 seconds? Yeah, but I am bored with it already and just traded it in for a 2014 Maserati MC Sport. I know the benz is faster, but its not about the speed. I have a passion for cars, I am hoping this satisfies my itch for a while! Like another guy said, in a benz you get where you are going, in a Maserati you have arrived. Super excited
post #9 of 10 Old 08-03-2014, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

I really have no interest in what anyone else things of my car, and the head-turning doesn't do anything for me anymore either, so it's really a pure comparison I was hoping for.

I've had Mercs and understand their appeal, and I can see that that appeal is quite different than that of a Maserati or other performance car, but since the E63 is a bit of a hybrid, with some of the best aspects of each category, I had to ask.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-04-2014, 03:28 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 182
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Then based on what you've mentioned have you looked at Audi, RS7 with the monster 560HP V8 and the WONDERFUL interior. If they made it in a two door I would have jumped on it and not my BMW 6er. Which brings up the M 650 Grand Coupe. 4 doors 550HP. A real drivers car too.

I still struggle with MB's fit and finish...unless you're going to just lease for 2 years then turn it in when you're done. My recent test drives of Audi have really impressed me.

I may look at the new S concept coupe, however I scratch my head at why MB has lost it's panache... really do we need aroma therapy and mood lighting in cars...?

I like the more direct connected feel of the Audi... but it boils down to personal preference.
If you just want a "fast car that handle great", there are a number of them out there, which cost less and don't kill you on resale like the AMG would.

It is personal preference, which ever way you go...enjoy!

ACCD

2012 Gran Turismo S AKA-NINO
2013 BMW 650i AKA - Bruno
MB 300CE
HD Deuce

MB CL500
NSX-(sold :( )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode