Electric supercars destined to surpass gas-burners? - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 10-26-2013, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 1,425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Electric supercars destined to surpass gas-burners?

Interesting article, and sad one too if we can all get a supercar with an electric engine in the future allowing very high performances reserved so far to a few automobiles. What would happen to engineering prowess, joy of driving, etc...?

Yahoo!

17 Ghibli S - 17 Range Rover Supercharged - 14 Cadillac CTS (gone) - 12 BMW 535 (gone) - 07 Quattroporte ZF (gone) - 06 Audi A8L (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-08-2013, 03:50 AM
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 179
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
You loose the noise. My Tesla performance 85+ is a complete joy to drive. I understand that noise is important and that losing a petro engine is like losing a fine mechanical watch movement to a quartz one. But really, the trade offs are worth it. I tell you what, I look at my planned Maser purchase as my last hurray with the combustion engine. In 5 years it will be all but over for petro engines. In 30 years you'll have a hard time finding gas. This is a good thing.

post #3 of 26 Old 11-08-2013, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

You may be right but a major concern for car lovers is that very high performances (like 0-60mph) can be obtained by any car with the proper battery, meaning a regular future Toyota or Hyundai could have super performances like a Ferrari for example. This is not right and it denies all the work and ingenuity that went into the creation of the best engines.

Except when it comes to designs and interiors, why buy a Maserati, Porsche or Ferrari for example, as battery performances are such that a regular box with 4 wheels could go as fast and have high performances too? Sad...

17 Ghibli S - 17 Range Rover Supercharged - 14 Cadillac CTS (gone) - 12 BMW 535 (gone) - 07 Quattroporte ZF (gone) - 06 Audi A8L (gone)

post #4 of 26 Old 11-10-2013, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMTEXAS View Post
You loose the noise.
Sound is part of pure pleasure for millions of car lovers and almost everybody else for that matter. Some cars provide melodious symphonies (like Maserati).

Losing the sound is a disgrace and goes against life pleasures IMO. If sound in the future comes only from a computer, then a regular ugly box on wheels could sound like a Ferrari or a Maserati. Another disgrace...

post #5 of 26 Old 11-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 4,111
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
It's progress. Not everything about it is warm and happy. And not everyone likes progress. But it's coming and it's inevitable. I don't believe there's going to be an electric substitute for the full experience of flooring a 450 horsepower gas engine (the feel, the sound, the sense of power) but there's no denying the potential of electric motors.

We've already seen what they can do, today, and their performance specs are increasing at a fast pace. Several top shelf petrol-powered auto companies have already started accepting this technology, even if only as part of a hybrid system for the moment. The announcement that Ferrari has switched their model naming convention away from displacement and toward kWh is not going to be huge surprise for many.
post #6 of 26 Old 11-11-2013, 03:16 AM
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
Sound is part of pure pleasure for millions of car lovers and almost everybody else for that matter. Some cars provide melodious symphonies (like Maserati).

Losing the sound is a disgrace and goes against life pleasures IMO. If sound in the future comes only from a computer, then a regular ugly box on wheels could sound like a Ferrari or a Maserati. Another disgrace...

I agree with you on the sound augment. But, I think with electric performance vehicles you gain more than you loose. I can tell you how good it feels to drive around on basically free power. It's good for the earth and in the long run it will change the politics of world oil.

Insofar as computer generated muffler noise, I think it's a bad idea.

post #7 of 26 Old 11-11-2013, 03:25 AM
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
It's progress. Not everything about it is warm and happy. And not everyone likes progress. But it's coming and it's inevitable. I don't believe there's going to be an electric substitute for the full experience of flooring a 450 horsepower gas engine (the feel, the sound, the sense of power) but there's no denying the potential of electric motors.

We've already seen what they can do, today, and their performance specs are increasing at a fast pace. Several top shelf petrol-powered auto companies have already started accepting this technology, even if only as part of a hybrid system for the moment. The announcement that Ferrari has switched their model naming convention away from displacement and toward kWh is not going to be huge surprise for many.
Thrills will lost and thrills will be gained. I'm sure great grandpa romanced having to crank start the Model T. And imagine if auto designs could be anything like the 30s-60s when they weren't worried about MPG, wind tunnels and hood design that wouldn't impale a pedestrian.
But things change towards efficiency and safety.

Hell, I thought we'd be in hover crafts by now. Tires are so old school.

post #8 of 26 Old 11-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

See now I thought it would be jet packs, but I'd settle for a hover craft. Either way, no more worrying about potholes.
post #9 of 26 Old 11-11-2013, 05:21 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,024
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
If you saw the most recent American Top Gear episode (not my favorite show), they did an episode on electric vehicles. One of their first stunts was racing three electric cars against the new Camaro ZL1, 580 hp. The Camaro did the quarter mile in 12 + seconds and was soundly beaten by an electric version of the Ford F150 pickup truck (11.72 sec.) a Porsche 944 (11.05 sec.) and a dragster at 8.9 sec. In terms of immediate power delivered to the wheels and max torque, it's not really that close. However, what they didn't say is how much range those car batteries would have and how expensive it was to bring them to that performance level. I think on both counts, these were amazing performers but not practical for every day use.

'13 Gran Turismo Sport (Grigio Granito/Nuovo Sabbia)
'07 Quattroporte Sport GT (Nero/Beige)
'67 Austin Healey 3000 MK III (Maroon/Black)
'61 Jaguar Mark II 3.8 (Black/Red)
'10 MINI Cooper S Clubman (dark silver/black)
post #10 of 26 Old 11-12-2013, 03:50 AM
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by russarch View Post
If you saw the most recent American Top Gear episode (not my favorite show), they did an episode on electric vehicles. One of their first stunts was racing three electric cars against the new Camaro ZL1, 580 hp. The Camaro did the quarter mile in 12 + seconds and was soundly beaten by an electric version of the Ford F150 pickup truck (11.72 sec.) a Porsche 944 (11.05 sec.) and a dragster at 8.9 sec. In terms of immediate power delivered to the wheels and max torque, it's not really that close. However, what they didn't say is how much range those car batteries would have and how expensive it was to bring them to that performance level. I think on both counts, these were amazing performers but not practical for every day use.
These electric cars that have a 30-40 mile range are pointless. This, and bad engineering is what killed the Fisker. You have to have close to 300 mile range with highway charging stations every 150 miles or so to make it work. When you try to combine both types of "motors" that's when it stops making much sense. Cars like the Volt may work for some who do not drive more than 35 miles each day but then you still have the petro motor to keep gas and oil in. These gas engines are a pacifier for range panic.

BTW, the Fisker was a drop dead gorgeous car, too bad it failed.

You will see an all electric Maserati. The day will have to come if they wish to survive long term, like into the next 20-30 years.

post #11 of 26 Old 11-12-2013, 04:47 AM

But keep in mind, we are currently in an early transition stage where the technology is being refined, improved and manufacturers are trying to market a new product to people who are now being exposed to hybrid and electric vehicles out of necessity (e.g., higher gas prices).. Clearly, the distribution system is not there yet to provide convenient quick charging stations every 150 miles as you suggest. You can't make that investment on day 1. Just like you couldn't cover the entire country with electrical distribution lines on day 1. There were people without electricity for decades once electrification started.

But that will come as market penetration increases. The short range vehicle (30-40 miles) doesn't seem all that practical until you realize that most people don't drive that far in a given day. It would meet most people's needs for daily commuting, but beyond that it has real limitations. I think most of the electric vehicles on the market today, with perhaps the exception of Tesla, are just "bridge" vehicles to move people from gasoline powered cars to electric. As battery technology improves, there will be no need for gas/hybrid technology. People will have made that transition. Eventually, there will be the final shake out between gas and electric driven cars. I think the gas engine will be around for much of the next generation but will be substantially reduced in terms of power and fuel consumption. The question is, will there always be the demand for V8 or larger, high performance engines? I think there will be, but it may become a much smaller niche market, as the public's perception about large, high output engines seems to be changing, and in some parts of the world, are being discouraged or phased out as a percentage of total production. However, in the future I would expect these high output engines to be much more efficient than they are today and perhaps that will keep them around longer.

post #12 of 26 Old 11-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Range will increase, quickly, and to the point where we'll laugh at the impracticality of stopping for gas.
post #13 of 26 Old 11-12-2013, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The question is, will there always be the demand for V8 or larger, high performance engines? I think there will be, but it may become a much smaller niche market, as the public's perception about large, high output engines seems to be changing,
I hope so and I am in fact optimistic as so many people with the means to buy one (V8 and big V6) should continue (more efficient engines of course): many people love power, wild sensations, magic sounds, it's human!! Wealth is rapidly being created around the world, increasing the potential too.

Quote:
and in some parts of the world, are being discouraged or phased out as a percentage of total production.
Such a disgrace! Yes to much more efficient engines, No to governments already imposing their dictatorial views on what consumers should do or not. Let's all be little, let's all be in the same mould, let's kill dreams and passions (penalties, ...).

post #14 of 26 Old 11-13-2013, 06:58 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 25
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Range will increase, quickly, and to the point where we'll laugh at the impracticality of stopping for gas.

post #15 of 26 Old 11-14-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPBRI View Post
Your emoticon suggests that you don't think battery range and performance will increase in the future? Are you suggesting the technology in its current form is tapped out. No more progress can be made? That's laughable on its face. That's like say computer processing power is not going to increase in the future. The more logical question is when does it advance to the point that it offers similar conveniences to gasoline and its broad distribution network. That could take some time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode