Mercedes SLS - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-29-2013, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mercedes SLS

Just curious if anybody here has driven or owns an SLS gullwing or convertible.

I am looking at picking up a 2011 with 2000 miles on it. Seems like a steal for $150K since the new SL63 already starts at $150k+.

Any experience on reliability and servicing?

09'GTS F1
14'Ghibli SQ4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-30-2013, 05:53 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 182
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm of the same mind...I have a CL that I'm going to sell and thinking of the SLS as a "great" buy considering price v low miles....I had ordered a new SL, but went for the Mas GTS..(VERY glad I did).

The only thing that I'm not sure about is the center stack, radio etc., looks like it came out of a C series. Let me know if you move forward and purchase. I'm probably 9 months away...
But I love the look and there are so very few out there. At Dallas Cars and Coffee, you'll see more McClaren's and lots of Lambo's but no SLS..

Good luck on the search.

ACCD

2012 Gran Turismo S AKA-NINO
2013 BMW 650i AKA - Bruno
MB 300CE
HD Deuce

MB CL500
NSX-(sold :( )
post #3 of 9 Old 05-30-2013, 08:20 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 293
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex5188 View Post

I am looking at picking up a 2011 with 2000 miles on it. Seems like a steal for $150K since the new SL63 already starts at $150k+.

I owned a gullwing for the better part of 6 months and the experience was nothing short of terrible! Let me list the problems...

1: Its carbon brakes

2: Its carbon brakes

3: Its carbon brakes

I tried desperately to like it but I just could not.... It might be different with the steel rotors but I have never owned a car with them. In addition, the angle of approach you much assume to get up most hills is bordering dangerous because you end up cutting the divider lines to not scrape the under body.

Reliability wise its pretty solid and service is not a problem assuming you have a good dealer/service shop. Prestige MB went out of their way to help me with the small problems I had.

There is a reason that they are so cheap...

Hope I didn't make it to painful,
Dan

Maserati Granturismo MC Convertible
Maserati Ghibili
Lamborghini Aventador 50th Anniversario
Ferrari FF x2
Ferrari 599 GTO
Ferrari 458 Italia
Ferrari 458 Spider
Ferrari F12
Ferrari 599
Ferrari California
Ferrari 430 Scuderia
Mercedes Benz SLR Mclaren 722
McLaren P1
Porsche Cayenne GTS
Porsche 991 GT3
Porsche 918

post #4 of 9 Old 05-30-2013, 08:33 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 4,580
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Why would you want a Mercedes if you could own Maserati? Just asking...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 9 Old 05-31-2013, 02:47 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 182
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Dan, thanks!
I appreciate your feedback... agree with the carbon rotors....
I've got limited space and I would keep my older 300CE coupe (this is probably the best car I've ever owened...old school MB,,,wonderful) for my Homedepot car....and then have the SLS and Mas...as my drivers.
As far as dealers,,,I'd have to resign myself to using Park Place in Dallas, furhter drive but fantastic service...
If I read you correctly, other than those 2 "issues", you feel the car is pretty solid?
Is it livible for touring, longer 4-7 hour drives?

ACCD

2012 Gran Turismo S AKA-NINO
2013 BMW 650i AKA - Bruno
MB 300CE
HD Deuce

MB CL500
NSX-(sold :( )
post #6 of 9 Old 05-31-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCD View Post
Dan, thanks!
I appreciate your feedback... agree with the carbon rotors....
I've got limited space and I would keep my older 300CE coupe (this is probably the best car I've ever owened...old school MB,,,wonderful) for my Homedepot car....and then have the SLS and Mas...as my drivers.
As far as dealers,,,I'd have to resign myself to using Park Place in Dallas, furhter drive but fantastic service...
If I read you correctly, other than those 2 "issues", you feel the car is pretty solid?
Is it livible for touring, longer 4-7 hour drives?
Yep the car is otherwise solid!

The longest drive I took was 3 hours and it killed my lower back..... I'd assume that varies for every person though.

Dan

Maserati Ghibili
Ferrari FF x2
Ferrari 599 GTO
Ferrari 458 Italia
Ferrari 458 Spider
Ferrari F12
Ferrari 599
Ferrari California
Ferrari 430 Scuderia
McLaren P1
Porsche Cayenne GTS
Porsche 991 GT3
Porsche 918
post #7 of 9 Old 07-06-2013, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys, an update:

I test drove the 13' SLS GT Gullwing today. It drives like a tank, really unique and awesome feeling. Love the gullwing doors and throaty sound of the exhaust. However I found it to be a bit difficult to maneuver with the long front end. Didn't really have an issue with the carbon breaks. Wasn't driving the car very hard either.

The AMG button and sport/sport+ modes didn't provide that noticeable of a change either. Definitely not as dramatic an effect found in Maseratis. Up/Down shifting also felt sluggish.

Dealer is asking about $200K. I am seriously considering a 11' or 12' model if it can be had for about $150K, <5000 miles.

For $200K I think I'd rather spend a bit more and go for a new gallardo next year?

09'GTS F1
14'Ghibli SQ4
post #8 of 9 Old 07-06-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, an update:

I test drove the 13' SLS GT Gullwing today. It drives like a tank, really unique and awesome feeling. Love the gullwing doors and throaty sound of the exhaust. However I found it to be a bit difficult to maneuver with the long front end. Didn't really have an issue with the carbon breaks. Wasn't driving the car very hard either.

The AMG button and sport/sport+ modes didn't provide that noticeable of a change either. Definitely not as dramatic an effect found in Maseratis. Up/Down shifting also felt sluggish.

Dealer is asking about $200K. I am seriously considering a 11' or 12' model if it can be had for about $150K, <5000 miles.

For $200K I think I'd rather spend a bit more and go for a new gallardo next year?
2 things to note: The doors might look and feel "cool" but try to go to a restaurant or a mall and get out of the car and every other comment usually involves the phrase "douche bag". I also have a nagging suspicion that the brakes were not cold when your drove it because anyone who has owned an AMG with carbon rotors no very well that the brakes do not revert to normal until they have been properly heated.

As far as the Gearbox the dual clutch system they use in the normal sls (gt included) is the inferior of the 2 that Merc. provides the other being used in the sls black and the new AMG cars. The new box is an absolute dream and I love it ( I only have experience in the sls black and the a45) In addition, you should not feel a difference in the driving modes unless you are REALLY pushing the car.

For $200k I'd rather buy a 599 or California.....Both are a joy to drive and can be used as dd's if needed. Oh and they wont depreciate anywhere as fast as the sls.

Best,
Dan

Maserati Ghibili
Ferrari FF x2
Ferrari 599 GTO
Ferrari 458 Italia
Ferrari 458 Spider
Ferrari F12
Ferrari 599
Ferrari California
Ferrari 430 Scuderia
McLaren P1
Porsche Cayenne GTS
Porsche 991 GT3
Porsche 918
post #9 of 9 Old 07-08-2013, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight Dan!

I am not really keen on a California and the 599 would defeat the purpose of my GTS...

I guess I'll just keep my eyes open to see what comes along in the next few months.

09'GTS F1
14'Ghibli SQ4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode