South Beach Hotel Recommendation for Maserati - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-09-2013, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
South Beach Hotel Recommendation for Maserati

Can any of you recommend a hotel on/near the beach in SoBe (Miami)? Looking for a reasonable price - less than $250 a night & a place where my wife & I will feel okay having our GT in a valet's hands. Any hotels that cater to Masers, F-cars?

My wife has always wanted to spend some time in Sobe, not just the drive-through I gave her years ago. We're celebrating her B'day there the end of June. I really want to bring the GT, & not her Merc. I don't enjoy driving her car, & love mine especially on long trips.

Norm

1997 Porsche 993 Targa - White (just turned 26,000 miles)
2010 Mercedes-Benz E350
2009 GranTurismo - Bordeaux Pontevecchio/Cuoio Sella - sold with visitation rights & right of first refusal
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider - now in Montreal with new owner (:-((
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-09-2013, 06:47 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,425
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageRacer477 View Post
Can any of you recommend a hotel on/near the beach in SoBe (Miami)? Looking for a reasonable price - less than $250 a night & a place where my wife & I will feel okay having our GT in a valet's hands. Any hotels that cater to Masers, F-cars? My wife has always wanted to spend some time in Sobe, not just the drive-through I gave her years ago. We're celebrating her B'day there the end of June. I really want to bring the GT, & not her Merc. I don't enjoy driving her car, & love mine especially on long trips.
Less than $250 per night and a good valet service, that's not really possible with the locations that you mentioned (South Beach, on or close to the beach). I've been living in Miami Beach for many years. The best hotels on the Beach or near with a good valet service would be up to $500 a night.

You have a number of boutique hotels that would be closer to your price target with or without the valet service (I would generally not leave them my car if they offer it, not because the hotels are not good but because they often sub-contract with valet companies and there are generally no parking very close to most hotels in South Beach, therefore they have to park it in a different location). Then it's better to park your car yourself in one of the public parking structures (which would likely be used by the valets anyway).

A positive comment when leaving a car to a valet service (restaurants, ...) is that here the valets are often used to great cars as prestigious automobiles are everywhere in big quantities.

17 Ghibli S - 17 Range Rover Supercharged - 14 Cadillac CTS (gone) - 12 BMW 535 (gone) - 07 Quattroporte ZF (gone) - 06 Audi A8L (gone)
post #3 of 14 Old 05-09-2013, 10:58 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 12
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
agree with Sunshine that you are looking for a tough combination

the W is a great property and cerntainly handles a lot of exotic cars - but under 250 is not going to happen

The National and other boutique hotels on the strip south of the W are a little less expensive but i don't know much about their valet service

post #4 of 14 Old 05-10-2013, 01:32 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 797
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I'd rather not have Valet service and have piece of mind.

Former '85 Biturbo E owner 25+ years ago.

Current cars: 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription | 2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport | 2012 Aston Martin Rapide
post #5 of 14 Old 05-10-2013, 04:45 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 395
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can try Ft. Lauderdale as the hotels there are not as pricy. W Ft. Lauderdale is beachfront and offers a quiet ambiance. There is a valet on site and but it can get quite busy.

I would definitely suggest you make it known to the GM personally that you will be driving an exotic and specifically request that your car be parked either in front of the hotel or handled by a valet manager.

By the attitude of the GM towards your request, you can already gauge how professional and attentive the service will be from the staff. I travel quite extensively and can tell you that the quality of hospitality trickles from the top down. If the management isn't keen on entertaining your request, you know that you need to find a higher calibre of hotel.

I recently stayed at the Andaz San Diego and experienced a nightmare with the valet.

https://www.maseratilife.com/forums/d...et-beware.html

09'GTS F1
14'Ghibli SQ4
post #6 of 14 Old 05-10-2013, 06:30 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 28
In that price range, try the hotels in Bal Harbour. It is on the beach, has great shopping and restaurants, is a 20 minute drive from SoBe and much less hectic. SoBe is a big traffic jam on the weekends.
If you must stay in SoBe, there are boutique hotels like Shore Club and Sagamore that are a bit less expensive than the ritzy hotels. The SoBe valets are used to exotics.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-11-2013, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Thank to all of you.

I like Dex's idea of talking to the GM.

And, yes, I'm aware of a plethora of exotics in Mia Beach. I was in a meeting at 400 Alton Rd. & watched a parade of high-end cars go by. My kind of place - where people don't think you're strange for parking a GT at a big box store.

Norm

2010 Mercedes-Benz E350
2009 GranTurismo - Bordeaux Pontevecchio/Cuoio Sella - sold with visitation rights & right of first refusal
post #8 of 14 Old 05-17-2013, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

My thanks to all of you who replied as well as to Darren at Swissvax USA whose office is just west of SoBe. (Great wax by the way)

I ended up booking the Marriott South Beach through olotels.com at a ridiculously low rate. I spoke to the Valet manager & he says problems with the nose dragging can be avoided by keeping the GT on the main level of the parking garage.

Now I need a restaurant recommendation for a group of 6 to celebrate my wife's birthday in that area. Three that seem good are: A Fish Called Avalon, Symcha's & la Gloutonnerie. All pricey, but for what I saved via olotels.com, no problem.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Norm

2010 Mercedes-Benz E350
post #9 of 14 Old 05-19-2013, 01:10 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 28
Try Catch, or if you've not been there yet, Joes Stone Crab is a must.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-19-2013, 01:54 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 4,580
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danz76 View Post
Try Catch, or if you've not been there yet, Joes Stone Crab is a must.
Except stonecrab season has ended I believe...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #11 of 14 Old 05-19-2013, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys.

I used to eat at Joe's in Detroit. Good food & ate at SoBe Joe's years ago.

Will check out Catch.

Norm

2010 Mercedes-Benz E350
post #12 of 14 Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,425
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageRacer477 View Post
Now I need a restaurant recommendation for a group of 6 to celebrate my wife's birthday in that area. Three that seem good are: A Fish Called Avalon, Symcha's & la Gloutonnerie. All pricey, but for what I saved via olotels.com, no problem. Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance.
. Mangos Tropican Cafe on Ocean Drive. Famous, casual, many tourists, but a fun place to drink and eat with live shows at certain time (singing/dancing) and you can also dance for hours with latin music in the evenings and at night.

. If you drive to Coconut Grove (25mn from Ocran Drive): Le Bouchon. Simply the best French restaurant in South Florida, located in trendy Grove where you can walk around and feel you are in a big village (the bay, restaurants with terraces on the sidewalks, Cocowalk, ...). This would be my first choice if not being on the beach is ok. Another great restaurant there is Calamari.

. Prime 112 for the steaks (Ocean Drive), but too many long waits (even with reservations)

. Oceans Ten (evening ambiance with live band or DJ). Ocean Drive

. A Fish Called Avalon. Ocean Drive

And others on Ocean Drive between 8th and 12th. All with the same kind of food and Flamenco/Spanish guitar playing at night

17 Ghibli S - 17 Range Rover Supercharged - 14 Cadillac CTS (gone) - 12 BMW 535 (gone) - 07 Quattroporte ZF (gone) - 06 Audi A8L (gone)
post #13 of 14 Old 05-20-2013, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Sunshine.

le Bouchon, in Vegas was one of the best-ever dining experiences. And, le Bouchon here in Belleair Bluffs is one of our fave local French eateries. I'll check out le Bouchon du Grove.

A Fish called Avalon is near where we will stay. And, an interesting menu.

Norm

2010 Mercedes-Benz E350
post #14 of 14 Old 07-03-2013, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Well, we did it. Thanks to all for suggestions.

Left the GT at home & took the short-nose sedan - the Merc. Good thing as the Marriott SoBe ramps are so steep the GT nose would have bottomed out. Also, ride home Sunday night in monsoon-like rain was easy on the Merc's new and relatively narrow tires.

Marriott SoBe was great. Staff was exceptional. I can recommend it highly. BTW, I mentioned I booked through olotels dot com at a very low rate. It was about half of the standard rate for 2 nights. And, they upgraded us to a beachfront room at no charge.

For dining, on Friday we had a fantastic Peruvian meal at MiXtura on Collins near 71st St. Then we had a party at A Fish Called Avalon. Awesome food at both places.

I saw a few Maseratis. But, until I find a hotel with a flat parking situation, I'll stick to the Merc when we go to SoBe.

Norm

2010 Mercedes-Benz E350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode