LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-04-2019, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,290
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Petty details ?

So in the Porsche world in which I have lived for the past 35 + years, when you replace your tires it’s sacrilegious not to have the wheel center caps’ logo crest pointy end face in a straight line to the wheels / tires valve stems. Pretty common knowledge that most “ experienced “ tire shops know this , and you dont even have to tell them. I always found this to be about as anal-retentive and silly as it gets ( unless you have a car you need to have judged at a concourse show ) but do folks in the Maserati world observe a similar practice ? Anyone here telling the tire shop they better have the middle spear of the trident point at the stem , or there’s hell to pay ?

Maserati world

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-04-2019, 06:00 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
I have never heard of anything like that in my life....It is just a car....Jason

ASE Master Tech. 29 years experience
Ferrari, Maserati, Land Rover, & Jaguar technician.
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-04-2019, 07:02 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Never heard of something like that, nor did I pay attention to such details.

Also never heard of something like that from any Porsche owner in my country

post #4 of 10 Old 07-04-2019, 07:11 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 3,665
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] Enzo`s Atlanta View Post
I have never heard of anything like that in my life....It is just a car....Jason
Can we get a like button, please?

C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
Maserless :(
147 TS
post #5 of 10 Old 07-04-2019, 12:43 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
WTF...yet another reason "those people" bugged me.

2016 Maserati GTS Blue, Grigio Chronos, Full CF MC Corsa interior
2018 Alfa Romeo TiSport Visconti Verde, Chocolate
2016 Range Rover Sport HSE Montalcino Red,Ivory
2012 Mazda Miata GTPRHT
2011 Lotus Evora S Persian Blue, Suedetex
post #6 of 10 Old 07-04-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

InnerCircle

I probably should have posted this as a thread in the driver’s lounge sub-section of the forum, since it’s not a technical topic, so if any moderators read this and can move it there that might be more appropriate.

As I said, anal retentive and silly, but it has always been a large scale obsessive compulsive disorder among PPs ( Porsche Purists ) I refer to them as PPs because it’s a more suitable description of their character . Yes, “those people” will make sure to point out what a flawed human being you are of your center caps are not facing the right way.

Glad to know Maserati drivers are not concerned with irrelevant minutia like that .

Dan
post #7 of 10 Old 07-04-2019, 02:19 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
I think most shops would tell you they couldn't help you if you are worried about stuff like that...We would...You could probably could not work on that persons car without getting blamed for a scratch or blemish on something... Jason

ASE Master Tech. 29 years experience
Ferrari, Maserati, Land Rover, & Jaguar technician.
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-04-2019, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 3,279
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
I worked at an exotic European car restoration shop and we sent cars to concourse shows often. Now if you don't have the exactly correct caps, that's a big problem. Not having the correct color plastic cap on an air horn compressor is a big problem. Not having the correct acorn nuts on the engine is a big problem. Pointing the caps or knock offs at the valve stem is something I've never heard of.

LCDave
2006 Coupe CC Blu Nettuno Vintage with Forgestar wheels, FD: DBWEM & springs , BMC filter, SuperSprint De-Cat, custom cat delete headers, custom x-pipe with 100cell race cats, RRP valves, G&S Exclusive Granturismo front bumper
post #9 of 10 Old 07-04-2019, 05:46 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 188
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
I've never heard of such a thing either.

I know that pretty much all manufacturers set the caps to always have the emblem straight for motor shows and photo shoots, but that's about it.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-04-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

InnerCircle

Not sure why this is such a huge thing with Porsche, but it is ! Just another idiosyncrasy of the brand and evidently most of its owners. If you simply google OE Porsche wheels / crest center caps images, 99% of pictured wheels will show the pointy end of the caps facing the valve stems. All Porsche dealers when you buy the car, or have the car serviced , will make sure this is in place . Most if not all of America’s Tires chain ( at least in California ) will mount your wheels caps that way when changing your tires without you having to ask them to pay attention to that petty detail. Panorama magazine ( Porsche Club of America’s publication ) was the recipient of a few “shame on you” letters many years ago for not noticing that a couple of Porsches pictured in their issues did not have the caps aligned as they should be. When I drove down to German Autofest in Ventura , CA. about 20 years ago ( first and last time I attended a massive Porsche gathering ) I couldn’t have been there for more than 15 minutes when one of the guys checking out my car noticed that my caps were not “compliant” . I did not enter it in any contest, it was just parked there . That’s was the first time I had heard of that so I thought he was joking , but then while walking around the place and looking at what were hundreds of Porsches, ALL had their friggin’ caps pointing at the wheel stem. I’ve owned Porsches and love driving them since 1982, but other than the forum to which I belong I have never met a group of more picky and judgmental car brand owners than those people. But since I’ve always been a front engine, water cooled Porsche guy, I’ve been viwewed as the “ red headed step child “ of the Porsche community, so the disdain from, and my disdain for the 911 purists crowd is a mutual one Glad I won’t have villagers with pitchforks and torches surrounding my Maserati if the trident caps are askew

Below is a cartoon emailed by a friend who owns both a MC and a BMW , and thought this could transcend a few other car brands , Porsche included
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	665348D0-7410-47AE-A6C5-9E0A02783111.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	123607  

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode