LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-22-2018, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,290
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Imbeciles at the wheel

Today some bozo in a Dodge Hellcat kept "baiting" me to race him . Needless to say I ignored him. Sure, as if I'm going to race a 700 HP car ( I think the weight of the two cars is somewhat comparable ) with my car which is missing that extra 250 HP and torque .. But that's beside the point ; not only would I never road race anyone even under the best conditions, but today was the first rain of the season and the roads were extremely slick.
And I use the term bozo very kindly because in addition to the inherent danger and the added risk of police just happening to be nearby, doing this on a fairly busy commercial neighborhood street, is idiotic ! Three lane road btw, 45 mph speed limit.
But ignoring him was evidently not enough, because he decided to show off anyway and stomped on it, causing his car to severely fishtail !! Lucky for me ( and for him ) his car's "drift" was into the other adjacent lane, not the adjacent lane I was in. I say lucky for me and him because had I been in the other lane the GT would have suffered some serious damage, and in addition to that I would have probably been charged with assault after the accident...possibly homicide and that's where his luck comes in.

He looked to be in his mid-30s , you'd think by then you might acquire some common sense, but I suppose not everyone gains that maturity .

Ugh, I've been challenged many times while driving my Porches , this is the first time while driving the GTS . Well, it looks really fast ( and to an extent , it is.. ) so it attracts all sorts of folks trying to test and see what it does
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-22-2018, 12:43 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
"I'd rather be lucky, than good." Yes, you were lucky wrt to the fish tail. Look at that as a "credit" in a score card to balance out those times when we are innocently harmed by events outside of our control. People can behave so ignorantly. Whether cockiness or distracted driving, and you have a recipe for a catastrophe.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-22-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,290
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fineito View Post
Whether cockiness or distracted driving, and you have a recipe for a catastrophe.
No kidding, distracted driving now has to be by far the greatest peril on our roads ( as bad as, if not much worse than DUI , just because of the numbers involved ..) it's a damn epidemic !

Last edited by DSGT; 11-22-2018 at 07:57 PM.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-24-2019, 02:34 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 444
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Garage
I know this is an older post but I feel the need to add to the growing disdain for most drivers these days.

I consider myself a young driver though not really as a representation of age (40) but how I feel when I drive. I truly enjoy the rush of driving, the roar of the motor, the feel of cutting an apex of a highway on-ramp perfectly and, of course, the occasional triple digit sprint on a wide open section of road. Shhh. When I drive I have laser focus and, in my head, driving is a chess game. I'm constantly plotting moves and anticipating the actions of the other drivers around me. This is a DRIVER!! Now I dont expect every person out there to be a true driver but it baffles me the number of people I encounter on a daily basis that are swerving, accelerating and decelerating inappropriately, and wandering into other lanes wholly due to the fact they are distracted (willingly) by their phones!!!! PUT THE F-ING PHONE AWAY! Facebook and your text messages can wait! You are driving a 3000lb+ vehicle with the mass and speed to kill on impact because you couldn't put the phone away for your damn 20 minute commute. I can't even begin to tell you how many Virginia drivers rear end each other or clip oncoming traffic on perfectly straight roads on sunny days around here for what could only be attributed to distraction. It's truly staggering. Phones are infinitely more dangerous than a drunk. Those willing to drive drunk are far far fewer and tend to do so much later at night further reducing the chance of killing someone.

Rant over, thank you.....

Maserati GranTurismo = Automotive Lust

2013 Maserati GranTurismo Sport

post #5 of 5 Old 01-24-2019, 03:23 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 409
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
I grew up in the musclecar era, and stop light drags were pretty common, but with the primitive tires and excess torque...there was more smoke and noise than speed. Many cars now days are capable of flat out destroying a 1960's Hemi car in a race. When I first heard about the Hellcat Challenger I could hardly believe they were going to release such an animal into the hands of novice drivers on our public streets! I agree - Cell Phones are the biggest danger on the streets...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode