LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-06-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,290
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Digital vanity plates

I heard that California has just started issuing digital license plates for those who want to spend ,reportedly, about $ 700 , but I did not listen to the news long enough to get more details than just this : as is the case with regular vanity plates you select your personalized letters / numbers sequence which is the regular display on your plate, but you are able to project other messages on that plate for five or ten seconds ( I think ) , after which the display automatically reverts to your " regular " plate . I also have not heard how this really works ; I think you dictate the message into to your car's Bluetooth and then it's transmitted somehow to the plate ( probably need to install some electronic thingamajiggy which links the BT and communicates with the plate ) , but supposedly you can project whatever message you want (within a certain number of characters ) . Perhaps something like : " back off " , " pay attention to me " " I'm single " " baby on board " " get off your phone " " stop putting on make up " , " I'm special " ( can't you tell just by this license plate ?! ) , and oh, so many other things . They suggest not displaying any insulting message when you're being followed by a police car, lol., albeit you only have a few seconds for conveying that .. Not sure you can project images... like a finger salute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-06-2018, 03:57 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Not anything I would like.

Just sending more data to yet ANOTHER 3rd person/cloud company.
Looks like a pain and lots of issues. Black and white no color because of the power draw. Have to drill a hole in your car to connect... If this survives as is, I'll be surprised. The developer states it saves you time when renewing. Not here in Texas. Renewal is just a website and click away. Really easy. Yet another electronic gadget to distract drivers with. Yet another database to hack...etc.. etc.. I could see vehicle OEMs providing this as an option already installed on new cars.

Can you imagine the damage and ancillary cost when someone bumps into you or tries to steal this.

Ok, I'm officially feeling like an old curmudgeon.

ACCD

2012 Gran Turismo S AKA-NINO
2013 BMW 650i AKA - Bruno
MB 300CE
HD Deuce

MB CL500
NSX-(sold :( )
post #3 of 7 Old 06-06-2018, 04:46 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 671
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
OMG, really!!!!
Hand them your wallet while you are at it...

post #4 of 7 Old 06-07-2018, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

InnerCircle

Yeah " big brother " at work ..the system tracks your car's location every second of every day and whilst ostensibly it's supposed to be a theft mitigation measure, who knows where that data ends up and what additional intrusion into your life it's used for .. It can probably also record at what speed your drive your car and where you exceed the posted limit, so imagine that data being collected by the DMV, or insurance companies, or police and whomever else . And not to be too cynical, but I can also imagine the number of road rage incidents may increase because of this .. there is enough resentment and envy against drivers of prestige / exotic cars, as it is , put one of these changing messages plates on your it and better hope some bubba in a pick up truck behind you is not having a bad day to start with ;-)

Last edited by DSGT; 06-07-2018 at 07:50 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-21-2018, 05:06 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 35
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
This is California government's trial balloon for a new mileage tax. They want to turn California into one giant toll road. They also want to add a "congestion tax". Isn't that great? They are incompetent, and don't widen the roads when needed. Then they tax you for their incompetence.

This would be a BIG NO!
post #6 of 7 Old 10-16-2018, 07:12 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 797
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Does CA require a front plate?

If not, start requiring a front plate unless they want to pay double of an exempt rear only plate... Wish MA would do the same. Can stand that front plate.

Former '85 Biturbo E owner 25+ years ago.

Current cars: 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription | 2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport | 2012 Aston Martin Rapide
post #7 of 7 Old 10-17-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Does CA require a front plate?
The official response you'll get from the DMV and/or from any local law enforcement will be an absolute YES . However, the state's Vehicle Code regulations have a little-known and little publicized provision ( I think someone posted a link to that somewhere here, in a different thread ..) whereby certain cars may be exempt from having a front plate if they are designed / manufactured in way which is not conducive to mounting a front plate on them, and doing so otherwise, would cause undue damage to the body of the vehicle which can arguably decrease its value. A tough argument to make in traffic courts if you're stopped and given a " fix-it" ticket, but I read that it is nonetheless successful in enough cases.. That said, out of ten sports cars I see on the road ( Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, McLaren, Lotus, Aston Martin, Corvettes, etc.. ) maybe two, if that many..have front license plates . I never had one on my Porsches and don't have one on the GTS. In thirty years I was pulled over only twice and given a fix it ticket. No time to fight those, I simply placed a temporary bracket on the car with double stick tape, took it to a local police station to sign off on the "correction " and then removed it minutes after leaving their parking lot. Still costs about $ 25 when you mail in the validated ticket, but I'm willing to do that even monthly if need be to avoid the eyesore of a front plate on a car's nose which is as beautiful as ours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode