Maserati Forum banner

Exterior gt mc temp reading

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  alpeshnaper 
#1 ·
Hello all, after driving older cars for a while I finally got a 2012 Maserati Gran Turismo MC, the car only has 11k miles on it and seem to be in great shape except for one thing I can't figure out.

I live in dallas Texas were it's still over 90 degrees out at all times. Usually when I start my car the ac runs just fine and the outside temp starts at a at a close temp to what it is outside. Usually within 20 or 30 minutes or even faster the temp drops to 50 or even straight down to single digits. Normally I wouldn't care but this temp seems to also work in conjunction with the HVAC so that means the compressor kicks off and hot air starts to blow out. Even if I manually drop the hvac temp to low and full fan it's not that cold. This makes my car almost undrivable in the this Texas heat. I tried to look through fourms for similar situations and only see a hand full of similar situations but nothing that shows what actually fixed it. I see the mirror door sensor is fairly easy to replace but requires me opening the door which I don't really want to do if that's not the issue.

Figured I would try here since there are so many pros on these cars. I hate to take it to the dealer as I'm sure it will cost me a pretty penny just for the to look at it. I doubt my local mechanic would be able to figure this out easily as it seems to be an electric issue.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
You have to start somewhere at a certain point to repair an automobile...I`'m unsure of the guarantee you are looking for..Maybe a trip to dealer maybe your best bet, but even the dealer has to call people and say that didn't fix it...Call me crazy...If I have a problem with an erratic sensor then the first thing I would do is replace that sensor... Jason

Reactions: alpeshnaper
#5 ·
Typically an ambient air sensor throws a code when it's dead but if it's just intermittently failing may not. If you haven't already checked the car with a code reader you can at least give it a try to see if the code is pending.

I'm with Jason, I'd start by replacing the sensor unless you want to take it in to the dealer or a quality independent with the factory diag tool or equivalent for a full diagnosis. They may be able to see more with the right diag tool connected but usually the diag fee will cost a bit as well.

If you'd like, send us your VIN# by email or message and we'll be happy to quote the sensor you'd need to replace.

Best Regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.