LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-15-2018, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Exclamation Needing Help With Actuator Replacement

Hello,
I have a 07 Maserati Quattroporte Duoselect. I had the clutch replaced and had issues with 5th gear saying "Gear Unavailable" and go into neutral. but only in 5th gear all other gears worked perfectly fine. After taking it to the dealership it came with the codes "p1770 and p1772 opposite gear engagement. the dealer said i needed to replace the actuator and quoted me $7,620.00 to replace it. seeing as how i can get a working used one for under $1,000 or even get mine rebuilt for much cheaper. I figured id save some money and do it myself. I am completely able to remove the transmission and the actuator/ power unit attached to it. However, to replace the actuator i need to separate it from the power unit and i have a few questions i cannot get answered by just researching it.

after separating the power unit from the actuator and replacing it, it will cause air bubbles in the power unit lines can you bleed the power unit by filling the reservoir and opening the door priming the pump or is a programmer needed?

Before replacing the actuator i will leave the car in the neuteral position and make sure the new actuator will match its position. i see people selling an "actuator alignment tool" on ebay is this tool actually nesessary? in the workshop manual i have theres no mention of an alignment tool.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Gear-F1-H....c100033.m2042

will reprogramming be needed when replacing just the actuator?

after speaking to the Maserati technician they said the part of the actuator that has failed is a "Box" behind it. after researching the codes p1770 and p1772 i suspect its the potentiometers that failed can i just replace these and be fine? the technician said it needs the entire actuator to be replaced even if its just the sensors, which seems like a waste and seems like they are just wanting as much money as possible. the car only has 44k miles on it.

any advice, links, or instructions are VERY much appreciated it seems i have hit a wall here and i don't want to replace the actuator and have bubbles in the lines risking ruining my new actuator. i live near Tulsa but they just stopped service and sales at the Maserati dealership near me so i have to drive all the way to Oklahoma City to get anything done which is a pretty big hassle. if anyone has any manuals that give detailed instructions on actuator replacement i need it very badly!

Thank you!,
Pablo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-16-2018, 04:03 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,353
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Garage
@Pabloc95 Let me see if I can give you the instruction you need. Let me say in advance, it's doubtful you will be able to do this on your own. But if I explain it to you, it will at least give you a proper understanding instead of just feeling like you are overpaying for something you feel you don't need.

First, the pots you are speaking of rarely fail. What happens is the actuator fails but picks it up through these hall effect passive sensors. So you will get symptoms of failed pots, but it's actually an actuator issue.

Secondly, I think there are a few things here beyond your scope. First, there is a process of actuator centering where you toggle the scan tool, and use an attachment to the front of the actuator to adjust the armature to make sure it's perfectly centered. That's the metal block I think you've seen, though I didn't check the hyper-link. Along with this is the actual actuator bleeding, where you open the three bleed screws on the actuator in order to toggle the bleed sequence on the scan tool, thus, bleeding all of the air out of the actuator itself. There is also a separate bleed you do anytime you open the hydraulic system up to bleed the rest of the system out.

Finally, if you complete all of the above, again you'd need a scan tool and technical knowledge to do so, you need to perform self learn after the (new/like new/used) actuator has been re-installed. If it isn't run the new actuator still won't work. It would take an even longer post as to what "Self-learn" actually does. There's a very specific reason it's run, and it collects very specific data points that stores in the tcu itself.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Yes you can replace the actuator yourself, but you still need to have it bled out, and self-learned afterwards even if you don't do the recentering process.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-16-2018, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Craig,
thanks for the quick reply i really appreciate this information. seems to me like i should just pay the bill and get it back on the road. i consider myself an intermediate mechanic at best not sure if I'm ready to tackle all of that. i definitely don't have the tools or time for it off to the dealer i guess!
Thanks,
Pablo

post #4 of 4 Old 12-03-2018, 04:51 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabloc95 View Post
Craig,
thanks for the quick reply i really appreciate this information. seems to me like i should just pay the bill and get it back on the road. i consider myself an intermediate mechanic at best not sure if I'm ready to tackle all of that. i definitely don't have the tools or time for it off to the dealer i guess!
Thanks,
Pablo

The company that make the F1 tool is rebuilding and testing the Maserati F1 Actuator for over 15+years... “including an speedtest to the F1 Actuator”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode