Boston Mechanic - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 06-12-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 580
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Boston Mechanic

Recently moved from Miami Beach to Boston and now looking for a good mechanic up here - preferably in Framingham/West Boston area. Any suggestions? Cheers!

"If you haven't seen the future you haven't gone fast enough!"

2003 Maserati CC Black/Cuoio
1986 Mercedes 560 SL Black/Palomino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-13-2015, 03:59 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,353
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by borgenhard View Post
Recently moved from Miami Beach to Boston and now looking for a good mechanic up here - preferably in Framingham/West Boston area. Any suggestions? Cheers!
Let me know what you are looking to have done. I have family in the Wellesley area. I can make a trip out there and bring my scan tool with me if you'd like.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-13-2015, 07:56 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 3,664
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
I'd recommend Craig like a shot
C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
Maserless :(
147 TS

post #4 of 17 Old 06-13-2015, 07:57 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 3,664
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
I'd recommend Craig like a shot
C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
Maserless :(
147 TS
post #5 of 17 Old 06-13-2015, 11:01 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
New England Ferrari/Maserati is right there on RT 9.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-13-2015, 01:35 PM

Garage
Are you speaking about Norwood? The one that charged almost $2000 to fix a steering wheel shroud and do a 4 wheel alignment/balance, left the lug nuts loose on all four wheels so the guy lost 2 of them going home? The only thing he asked for was to balance the tires.

Additionally, he asked for a clutch wear read out another time. They told him he must of taken the vehicle somewhere else because everything had been reset and they couldn't read it. He had only brought his car there up till that point for his entire car ownership.

If you are looking specifically for a "dealer", take it to Aston Martin of New England he's the only one I will ever recommend for a dealer service. Steve is the service manager there and is a great guy to work with. Dave is the Ferrari tech there, tall guy with glasses, another really good guy. Aston Martin of New England ironically is a Sponsor here, but if you knew me you'd know I don't recommend people based on sponsorship. I recommend them on how they treat people and whether they know what they are doing or not.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-14-2015, 11:23 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 38
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Wow they did? I only bought my car there and new it was kind of close. I heard the Austin Martin place was very good. In up the north shore and luckily after I got my car Kelly Maserati opened. Small but they have worked on my car 3 times and did a great job on everything. Also what they charged me for what they did was cheap.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-14-2015, 02:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppht43 View Post
Wow they did? I only bought my car there and new it was kind of close. I heard the Austin Martin place was very good. In up the north shore and luckily after I got my car Kelly Maserati opened. Small but they have worked on my car 3 times and did a great job on everything. Also what they charged me for what they did was cheap.
I'm thankful they did right by you in at least purchasing your car. People in this business learn quickly that word travels fast about these type of issues. They could be great now but I will never know. These cars are too expensive to find out by bad experience for me to recommend them to someone. Once you recommend someone to go there and it turns out to be a bad situation they not only tarnish their reputation they tarnish yours as well. I've been there done that, and I take it very seriously.

BTW to their credit they did drive the two lug bolts he lost on the road up to him at no charge. So to that degree they didn't completely forget about him.

Last edited by Craig; 06-17-2015 at 02:43 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-14-2015, 09:59 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 64
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Steve at Aston Martin is the only place to go
post #10 of 17 Old 06-15-2015, 03:11 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 9
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
+ 1 for Steve at AMNE. When I stopped by Kelly Maserati in Danvers to schedule routine maintenance on my 2003 Coupe I was told by the service manager that they didn't work on the "older" Maserati models - Their mechanics had not been trained on them. wtf?
post #11 of 17 Old 06-15-2015, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys! Craig right now I am having intermittant problems with the MSP. The MSP warning light comes on usually not long after start-up. Cannot be turned off by hitting the switch. When I stop and restart car it seems to work again. I just had steering worked on replacing the power steering unit and seems to be acting up more since then. It has happened occasionally before. Not sure if it will get better with time - already seems a little more stable but hard to tell. More long term I will probably need a new clutch soon but would like an honets reading on it before it goes out at the most inopportune moment.

post #12 of 17 Old 06-15-2015, 07:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Bologna View Post
+ 1 for Steve at AMNE. When I stopped by Kelly Maserati in Danvers to schedule routine maintenance on my 2003 Coupe I was told by the service manager that they didn't work on the "older" Maserati models - Their mechanics had not been trained on them. wtf?
Lol! Yeah brother, it's because they are scared to death of the F1 systems! I mean honestly the newer Maseratis all have regular transmissions, so there's not a lot there.

I had a place call me out of Los Angeles about a month ago. They specialized in newer ones but they were lost on the Gran Sport. They already spent 15K replacing parts.......the kick in the seat of the pants was when I asked for some very specific diagnostic data they were lost. So I asked them what scan tool they were using. They didn't even have one! They replaced the clutch and everything, and it kept shifting back to neutral. They had no way of resetting the clutch, and no way to tell me the hydraulic pressure in the system!

@borgenhard did they replace the rack and pinion with one from the same year car or did they replace it with a new one? Without saying for certain it sounds like to me one of your wheel speed sensors are failing or could also be a wheel bearing. I postulate this only because you stated it was doing this before and after the rack and pinion was replaced correct? So there wasn't a change in the cars behavior as far as the MSP?

With a wheel bearing sometimes you can reset the car and when sitting still it will be fine. As soon as you start to drive that wheel drags and it sends a slower speed to the ecu. Additionally, a short in the wheel speed sensor's wire will do the same thing. The wire moves as the car does and shorts. It sends an erratic signal to the car as if the wheel isn't moving as it should.

Again, this is obviously computer screen diagnostics. I've not seen the car to put a definitive answer on that, and I don't know what they did with the rack and pinion.

Just my thoughts.......
post #13 of 17 Old 06-15-2015, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Craig - it was replaced with used unit with about 20K miles on it like my car. It has been doing this for some time now but seems to be more prolific after I got the car back. While driving it in FL it might happen once every couple of months. When MSP is on it also seems to kick in more frequently. To be honest I never noticed it kicking in even once over 6 years ownerhsip in FL, but then again roads are rather flat and straight in FL. Here in Boston area obviously more windy roads with sharper turns and more bumps in the road if you may. It was with mechanic for about 7 months over the winter. Yesterday I drove around all over the place and the MSP kicked in once or twice - no issues. Today I start up and drive out from my garage in the rain and MSP warning light comes on after a few hundred yards after sharp right turn and won't go off. Stopped and re-started car and it did not come on again. So it seems like it is getting confused with the many turns and windy, bumpy roads. What would be your suggestion from here to pin down the issue?

post #14 of 17 Old 06-16-2015, 12:15 AM

Garage
First, let me apologize you had to move out to MA from Florida. I almost didn't come back in January!

Secondly, my suggestion would be to take a multi-meter and measure the resistances on each of your wheel speed sensors. You will notice a plug for each one in your wheel wells. Start with the front ones, and work your way around the car. I am trying to remember the resistances. I guess it doesn't matter because they will all be identical. You will know as you work your way around because they will match up.

Use the probes and see which or if any of the resistances are changing. First with just probing them, then try and move the wire while probing. If the resistance doesn't stay steady I believe you would of found your problem.

If they all stay steady, you should jack up the car from each lift point and check to see if any of your wheel bearings are bad by trying to move the wheel up and down. It shouldn't move at all. If it's moving then you would have found your problem there.

Those would be my suggestions for now.

Last edited by Craig; 06-16-2015 at 04:43 AM.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-16-2015, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Craig!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode