How much should new clutch cost? - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 02-16-2015, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much should new clutch cost?

Hello, I Just had my F1 Pump replaced on 04 Cambiocorsa. The mechanic ran some test and said that clutch is at 100% wear and needs to be replaced as well. $4200 for service and parts seems a bit high. Any thoughts? Also, should I look into a single or multi-plate clutch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 02-16-2015, 10:28 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,173
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Is that just the clutch? You normally replace the throw out bearing and the F1 sensor as well. Some quotes also include the bearing in the bellhousing as well as a flywheel...The factory clutch is a dual disc and I wouldn`t recommend any other as anything else seems to have problems..Jason
post #3 of 33 Old 02-16-2015, 11:03 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,353
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Garage
+2 with Jason. If you have a guy willing to replace the clutch/PP, F1 sensor, pilot bearing, throw out bearing ( I would only use Hill Engineering), flywheel (either new or resurfaced), for $4200 you need to jump on it. Chances are for the price he either doesn't know what he's getting into or the part's list is missing a few things. I don't know if I would do it for that price. I would kick it down the street to him.

Ask him for a list of parts he plans on replacing. If you don't really know him, ask him for all the old parts back.

post #4 of 33 Old 02-16-2015, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 3,265
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Just because the computer says 100% worn doesn't make it so. Do you have the history on the car?

$4200 seems low.

LCDave
2006 Coupe CC Blu Nettuno Vintage with Forgestar wheels, FD: DBWEM & springs , BMC filter, SuperSprint De-Cat, custom cat delete headers, custom x-pipe with 100cell race cats, RRP valves, G&S Exclusive Granturismo front bumper
post #5 of 33 Old 02-16-2015, 11:43 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,173
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
+1 with Dave....That whole clutch wear thing were they figure a % is pretty much useless imop. I have put clutches in plenty cars that had good bit of clutch life left that wouldn`t move anywhere...Jason
post #6 of 33 Old 02-17-2015, 12:05 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,353
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Garage
Well +2 then, I might of read too much into it. I thought more of he checked the car's clutch out with the reading ("he ran some tests"), not that he solely read a percentage off the scan tool, and based his finding solely on that. If that's true and the car was exhibiting no signs of slipping or failure I wouldn't replace it either. Actually now that I think of it, what was the reason the pump failed?

Last edited by Craig; 02-17-2015 at 12:06 AM.
post #7 of 33 Old 02-17-2015, 02:45 PM
Master Mechanic

Maserati Life Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to JoshH
$4200 is a fine price for a complete clutch service. It's difficult to accurately eyeball the clutch in these cars as they are a twin disc and each friction surface wears at a slightly different rate, in my experience. The only relatively accurate reference point is the position of the release bearing at rest. It takes experience to know how to judge that.

The accuracy of the clutch wear reading depends on the accuracy of the setting at new, when the clutch was installed. I have seen clutch run into 110% worn before they start slipping and disable the car. It is wise to start considering a new clutch at a 100% worn reading though. It's just a matter of time. Not to mention, the car's performance and the gearbox's shift performance have degraded significantly at this point. The car will drive much nicer with a fresh clutch.
post #8 of 33 Old 04-01-2019, 04:09 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 3
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Do the same “rules” apply for a manual vs paddle clutch? How many miles does the clutch typically last in the Cambiocorsa? Does it require replacing every 30k miles for example??
post #9 of 33 Old 04-01-2019, 04:59 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 416
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smonop View Post
Do the same rules apply for a manual vs paddle clutch? How many miles does the clutch typically last in the Cambiocorsa? Does it require replacing every 30k miles for example??
There are infinite variables to how long clutches last in both the GT and Cambio cars, some last 15k and others over 50... I've gotten into the habit of putting $1 per mile in the bank at the end of every month, and assuming you have a trouble free first 6 months to first year, your overall ownership experience will be far more comfortable. In either case, drive the car until the clutch starts acting up, and then get it fixed.

06 GS //Larini Headers, Larini midpipes, Larini valved rear boxes, FD ECU, FD DBW, BMC.

02 Coupe GT //Kreissieg V1, Evoms tune

Lotus Evora 400 //Komo-Tec 460HP

Porsche Cayenne Turbo //EVOMS GT700 Package with alcohol injection 700+ hp//
post #10 of 33 Old 04-01-2019, 07:43 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 3
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Fair enough. I’ve owned a pair of NSX’s which I appreciate are different animals. While I have no issue with higher part & repair bill costs, clutch replacement at ~30k miles & $4K+ is really dissapointing. While not as exclusive or as pretty as the Maserati manual or Cambiocorsa, the Jaguar XKR is looking like a more practical choice given my priorities... sigh... Thank you your input, much appreciated.
post #11 of 33 Old 04-01-2019, 09:27 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 416
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Fair enough. Ive owned a pair of NSXs which I appreciate are different animals. While I have no issue with higher part & repair bill costs, clutch replacement at ~30k miles & $4K+ is really dissapointing. While not as exclusive or as pretty as the Maserati manual or Cambiocorsa, the Jaguar XKR is looking like a more practical choice given my priorities... sigh... Thank you your input, much appreciated.
Eh, I'd re-evaluate that if an XKR is the alternative. I'm all but certain your maintenance and repair costs will be comparable, and IMHO the XKR is half the car by most (albeit subjective) measures. Take your time and wait for a low mile 05+ 6MT car with a fresh clutch, and you'll never look back.

06 GS //Larini Headers, Larini midpipes, Larini valved rear boxes, FD ECU, FD DBW, BMC.

02 Coupe GT //Kreissieg V1, Evoms tune

Lotus Evora 400 //Komo-Tec 460HP

Porsche Cayenne Turbo //EVOMS GT700 Package with alcohol injection 700+ hp//
post #12 of 33 Old 04-01-2019, 09:59 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,307
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Quote:
Fair enough. Ive owned a pair of NSXs which I appreciate are different animals. While I have no issue with higher part & repair bill costs, clutch replacement at ~30k miles & $4K+ is really dissapointing. While not as exclusive or as pretty as the Maserati manual or Cambiocorsa, the Jaguar XKR is looking like a more practical choice given my priorities... sigh... Thank you your input, much appreciated.
Good luck finding a decent XKR. I had my heart set on one in 2016, could not find one with low mileage, and when I did find a couple they were really costly (like, $30,000 for 2007 models) and sold in a day. I ended up in a Maserati literally because of price and availability of low-mileage examples being so much better than the Jaguar.

2005 Quattroporte
Fresno, CA
post #13 of 33 Old 05-10-2019, 09:14 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 5
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
06 Gransport Clutch

Hello, I am in need of a Clutch replacement. I live in northern California and have gotten a quote from the Sacramento dealer for $7500. The local reputable indi gave me a price of $6900. I understand the cost and factor that into cost ownership. However, I don't like to waste money if I do not have to. So on a whim I contacted Mark Douglas Motors in Orance County and they quoted me around $5k. At that price it is worth just shipping it down there and shipping it back or even driving the 600 miles back. I was wanting some advise. Also does anyone know where Eddie's shop is? I thought it was in Southern California but I cant seem to locate it. Also, has anyone heard of Raging Bull Motors in Costa Mesa? They said I don't have to get the fly wheel resurfaced, and the bearings are optional.

PLease advise.
post #14 of 33 Old 05-10-2019, 09:27 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,307
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonzo View Post
Hello, I am in need of a Clutch replacement. I live in northern California and have gotten a quote from the Sacramento dealer for $7500. The local reputable indi gave me a price of $6900. I understand the cost and factor that into cost ownership. However, I don't like to waste money if I do not have to. So on a whim I contacted Mark Douglas Motors in Orance County and they quoted me around $5k. At that price it is worth just shipping it down there and shipping it back or even driving the 600 miles back. I was wanting some advise. Also does anyone know where Eddie's shop is? I thought it was in Southern California but I cant seem to locate it. Also, has anyone heard of Raging Bull Motors in Costa Mesa? They said I don't have to get the fly wheel resurfaced, and the bearings are optional.

PLease advise.
What kind of car? A Coupe/Gransport? Call Roselli Foreign Car in San Jose, they can do the whole job for about $3,000 parts + labor.

2005 Quattroporte
Fresno, CA
post #15 of 33 Old 05-11-2019, 12:32 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 5
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
06 Gransport 38k miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List