LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-22-2013, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
4200 Buying tips

Hello,

My first post here. I own 2 Alfa 156 GTA and i am looking to jump one class towards maserati. I really wanted a 3200, I am used to poor reliability owning the alfas for quite a while , but, searching through various forums, it seems that the 4200 is the better car to have. I know that the sensible advice would be to go and drive both, but it's quite hard to find them near my location.

This car showed up recently for sale: Maserati Coupe 17000 EUR. Bucuresti - autovit.ro

From what i can tell, correct me if i'm wrong:
-low mileage
-facelift
-latest CC software, identical to Gransport
-skyhook; although not sure on this one. I see the sport/pwr button in the pictures, but i'm not sure which one of them it is
-good price

Now for the questions; Dug through the forums for things to check out, i still have some questions:
-what's the "healthy" oil pressure, warm, at idle and at a rev target?
-can i connect to the ECU through OBD? If so, what software do you use?
-any specific test for the CC gearbox apart from going through all the gears in both directions?

I will go and see the car in the week-end and have it for a drive and come back with news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-22-2013, 12:46 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 4,489
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Lorenz-06MT
For the year mileage and price seems a pretty good deal. MY oil pressure at idle is 35 and at rev is 70 maxed out. Clutch needs to be checked with a sd3 computer which usually means bringing it to a dealer. Get her checked out thorougly
post #3 of 13 Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,353
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LORENZ-GS06 View Post
For the year mileage and price seems a pretty good deal. MY oil pressure at idle is 35 and at rev is 70 maxed out. Clutch needs to be checked with a sd3 computer which usually means bringing it to a dealer. Get her checked out thorougly
I agree with Lorenz, get it checked out because if you own her you pay for the parts, and repair of wasn't checked out to begin with. A sweet deal can turn into a sour one quick

post #4 of 13 Old 07-22-2013, 07:51 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 5,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by scociu View Post
-can i connect to the ECU through OBD? If so, what software do you use?
No. You can only connect to the OBD system with an OBD scanner. To connect to the ECU, you would need a diagnostic computer (SD2/SD3/ST5) loaded with the Maserati software.

Quote:
any specific test for the CC gearbox apart from going through all the gears in both directions?
A pre-purchase inspection with a diagnostic computer will give you lots of info on the transmission.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

https://www.instagram.com/revtravis/

(SOLD) 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa, Rosso Mondiale/Nero
Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
post #5 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I will try to get it to a dealer although i don't have high hopes that they will own the necessary hardware here in Romania.

Does the gearbox have a dipstick where i can check the oil level/aspect?
post #6 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 11:55 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 4,489
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Lorenz-06MT
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I will try to get it to a dealer although i don't have high hopes that they will own the necessary hardware here in Romania.

Does the gearbox have a dipstick where i can check the oil level/aspect?
No,,,,the only way to check oil in the gearbox is to remove the fill plug and either a little will come out or else put ur finger in the hole<<,haha
post #7 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Alright, went and did a drive test.
Mixed feelings:
- it definitely sounds great from both front and back
- it looks gorgeous inside out.
- the gearbox is exactly how i imagined, and i didn't imagine it being great. But then again, i am biased when it comes to manual vs automatic transmissions.
-the engine pulls well, like i was expecting, in the high rev range (above 4k); i was expecting a little more grunt around 3k, but it's not something that i value in a car.
- a little disappointed by how the suspension cope with the small bumps outside sport mode. When in sport mode i really liked it (car has skyhook)

Now for the questions:
- engine dirty of oil around cam covers. I attached a picture. I have the same in tha alfa v6, due to cam covers gaskets, wasn't expecting it in the v8 though. Is this common?
- At low speeds you can hear the transmission engaging when shifting. Although i was expecting some noises, my feeling is that it was a bit too clunky. How do you find it?
- Looking at the suspension i see that the coilovers are threaded. Is skyhook suspension height adjustable?

Overall i liked it, it's a more modern machinery than my alfa GTA. This is also a good and a bad thing. I feel the car more raw in the alfa, acceleration is more thrilling as you have to fight with the car. The maserati is a great touring car, long trips should be really good to make in it.

Later edit:
Adding to the questions above:
- speedo was getting stuck in city driving. Stuck as in dead on a certain speed. It was recovering randomly. Known issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0367 - s.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	15213  

Last edited by scociu; 07-23-2013 at 02:34 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
engine dirty of oil around cam covers. I attached a picture. I have the same in tha alfa v6, due to cam covers gaskets, wasn't expecting it in the v8 though. Is this common?
No, this is not common in a well maintained car.

Quote:
- At low speeds you can hear the transmission engaging when shifting. Although i was expecting some noises, my feeling is that it was a bit too clunky. How do you find it?
There is generally a "clunk" sound when going into first gear. All the other gears are quiet and smooth.

Quote:
Looking at the suspension i see that the coilovers are threaded. Is skyhook suspension height adjustable?
Yes, although the stock springs are very weak and lowering the car will not help.

Quote:
speedo was getting stuck in city driving. Stuck as in dead on a certain speed. It was recovering randomly. Known issue?
This is not normal or a known issue.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
post #9 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 04:17 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 331
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I am with Travis on this one, the valve cover looks filthy and the speedo should definitely not be stuck. This could have been a poorly maintained/accident car. Be careful with this one. If the price is too good to be true, then it is what it is.

2004 Maserati "Gran" Coupe Cambiocorsa in Grigio Touring
Complete Gransport suspension conversion
US spec OEM Gransport non-resonated x-pipe
Larini Decats
Fabspeed muffler bypass
Oem Authenthic Carbon Fiber Paddle shifters with blue weave from MC Victory.

Other Cars
1991 MR2 NA (Daily Driver)
1991 MR2 Turbo (Track ride 330 crank hp on 2600lb chassis)
1992 MR2 NA (284K mile beater)
1992 MR2 Turbo (All stock, my personal high mileage museum piece)
2008 Mazda 5 Manual
post #10 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

This post states a little bit different about the cam cover oil leaks:
https://www.maseratilife.com/forums/c...tml#post192065
post #11 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Not wanting to state the obvious with the above, i'm just trying to get an understanding of whether it is an issue or not. I can't see how poor maintenance in 20.000 km can result in a cam cover oil leak. Unless you pour it all over the place when toping up.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 3,665
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
I think the point is it's an easy fix. Ergo if it's not been done, one would wonder if how much of the hard stuff has been missed.

Having said that, it wouldn't really worry me.

C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
Maserless :(
147 TS
post #13 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmanv2 View Post
I think the point is it's an easy fix. Ergo if it's not been done, one would wonder if how much of the hard stuff has been missed.
My thoughts exactly. A well loved car wouldn't look like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode