Solar battery maintainer? - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Solar battery maintainer?

Finally must take action! My '02 CC Coupe sleeps in a public covered garage under a cloth cover. No electricity; and now in the winter especially the Optima Red 34R battery doesn't have enough oomph to start the car. So, out it comes to my home, charge with a 6V charger to bring it up to 12V and back she goes. (Wait the 30 seconds + in 'run' position) and the car starts For some good reason, the radio stations are still active.I thus enquire whether anyone has had success with such a maintainer with this car/battery combo? I park by a grille which allows light and occasionally direct sun in. I am tempted by The Deltran 5W unit on Amazon. Appreciate comments! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 78
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not sure if 5W is enough, how often do you use the car?

When I parked my car over the winter in a garage without power I threw a 15W panel on the roof:
Sunforce 50032 15 Watt Solar Battery Charger : Amazon.com : Automotive

and used this controller connected to the battery:
Amazon.com: Kintrex SPC0601 7 Amp 100 Watt 12 Volt Solar Power Charge Controller With Digital LED Display: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I parked the car at the end of November and she fired right up in the spring.

2006 Coupe GT
post #3 of 6 Old 03-09-2013, 12:32 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 180
Send a message via Skype™ to JetNC
The Deltran 5W is a float charger which is good, trickle charger is not good. I would try it and see.....

If you don't plan to drive your car over the winter you shouldn't start it periodically. Instead I would pull the battery and put it on a float charger.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-09-2013, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Thank you thepat and JetNC. I'll look in these higher range wattages. I do like to use the car as often as I can, but it does not seem that I am bringing the battery really to full charge even though my tester shows 12V. Two days ago, I charged it, drove half an hour and then stopped for two hours. It barely started... even though my dash indicated the generator was working as I drove. So, a deeper charge sounds like the answer. I have heard that this Red Top does take a long time to top up.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-09-2013, 11:27 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 180
Send a message via Skype™ to JetNC
If you are driving periodically then a float charger is good to use and it wouldn't hurt to use a fuel stabilizer like Techtron. I use it year round because I tend to travel and can be away for weeks sometimes.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Made the purchase

Well, I installed a Sunforce solar 15 w /7 amp solar charger with the Sunforce controller and left it attached for two weeks while away - indoors under a south facing bay window. The Redtop registered 12 volts. Now I have tried to get the readings up to 14 v with a 'full' charge of 13.2. Even in bright sun it never does this, but I can drive the car! (the controller specified above is no longer in production). So, I'll bring it home every so often and plug it in! Thanks. P.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode