Mas. Coupe Manual Transmission :Feedback: - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old 08-10-2011, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mas. Coupe Manual Transmission :Feedback:

Hey. I m slowly getting ready to make a move on 2006 Maserati Coupe with Manual Transmission. Are there any owners out there that would like to share a little experience with their cars? I would mainly like to eye people that race, shift quickly, etc. Hows the shifting? Notchy? E46 M3 like? Knife in butter ( like most american sticks?) Also, throughout my experience with manual transmission cars, did any of you change your fluids in transmission and rear axle? Usually Redline, Royal Purple is the choice of fluids and usually it helps in shifting department. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 08-10-2011, 11:53 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 358
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My experience: Shifts smoothly once well warmed up which I find takes about 15-20 minutes of driving. Notchy 1st to 2nd until warm. Clutch must be fully disengaged. Requires firm committed shift - you can't be lackadaisical. Strong centering on shift lever, so again you need definte movement. It never feels like a Japanese or small Euro car.

No concerns about using reverse which I understand can be a concern with the CC (I stand to be corrected on that). Also no concerns about having to creep along in traffic should you have to although your left foot will get a workout - the clutch isn't superheavy but again it's not like a Japanese car or small Euro car.

I doubt that most people could shift the stick as quickly as a well-sorted CC can shift. Overall, I like the stick shift GT version and it was a deciding factor in my purchase. But there are strong opinions and much debate on the merits of GT versus CC. Try both if you can.

Local dealer installs Shell 75W90, changed every second year.

Jon

04 Spyder GT - 11323 - SOLD
86 Ferrari 328 GTS blu sera
post #3 of 49 Old 08-11-2011, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. That oil you mentioned, is that for both transmission and rear axle or just rear axle?

post #4 of 49 Old 08-11-2011, 04:46 AM

Not sure I understand the question. Given it's a rear-mounted transaxle, I assumed it's a single unit using the same fluid oil. Maybe someone can advise if otherwise. My invoices simply list "4 gear oil" probably litres but could be quarts.
Jon

post #5 of 49 Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 AM
NoC

Maserati Life Posts: 58
What's the cost at the dealer or indy to replace the clutch on a MT?
post #6 of 49 Old 08-11-2011, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

basically, transmission requires oil, then theres a driveshaft coming out of transmission and that driveshaft goes to rear axles( rear differential) , so theres 2 units requiring oil. Unless Maserati has the same setup as old Porsches 968 with transmission being placed in the rear of the vehicle.
post #7 of 49 Old 08-11-2011, 05:02 AM

It's a single unit in the rear. That's why it takes time to warm up - it gets no heat from the engine. Same with the CC.
Jon

post #8 of 49 Old 08-11-2011, 07:10 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 74
Just purchased a 2002 MT. I'd agree, it shifts fine, not silky smooth by any means. I am concerned with mine because it seems to grind 3 under hard- driving conditions. Only on upshift, never on downshift. It may be correlated to heat.... Seems to happen after it's been working hard. Has anyone seen this? Or failed a 3rd gear synchro in an MT?
post #9 of 49 Old 08-11-2011, 09:45 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 10
adjustment

The car has a cable that needs to be adjusted from time to time. This is the only problem with the manual gear box. Jeff FD was at one time looking into quick shift kit for this gearbox. You may check this out. The car was not designed to be raced. It is a fast fun grand touring car. This is my 4th Mass- all manual - Mexico-Merak-OP-and now Spyder. I am a little older than most of you all, but the early cars were really made better.
post #10 of 49 Old 08-11-2011, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Interesting. Can anyone point me out to some technical drawing of this unit? maybe some actual pictures?
post #11 of 49 Old 08-11-2011, 11:41 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 5,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoC View Post
What's the cost at the dealer or indy to replace the clutch on a MT?
Cost is around $4k-$5k depending on labor rate. Add maybe $100 or $200 for F1 cars.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

https://www.instagram.com/revtravis/

(SOLD) 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa, Rosso Mondiale/Nero
Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
post #12 of 49 Old 08-11-2011, 11:59 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 39
I love my 2004 Spyder with 6MT. I bought it after having owned a 2005 GranSport (with CC transmission of course). I just love being able to row the gears myself. Coupled with the gem of an engine that all of these cars share, it's a true driving pleasure.

I changed the transmission fluid myself. Easy enough to do. Replaced with Motul Gear 300 75w90, and noticed an immediate difference in smoother shifting. I'm sure Royal Purple and Red Line are fine too (I've used both of them in other vehicles) - - I don't think you can really go wrong with a high-quality synthetic.

'04 Spyder GT (6MT)
post #13 of 49 Old 08-11-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

^ thats what i wanted to hear Thanks.
post #14 of 49 Old 08-11-2011, 01:15 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisJ View Post
Cost is around $4k-$5k depending on labor rate. Add maybe $100 or $200 for F1 cars.
$3k Parts and labor

Eddie
post #15 of 49 Old 08-11-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProbikGTS View Post
Interesting. Can anyone point me out to some technical drawing of this unit? maybe some actual pictures?
You might find some of what you're looking for here: http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTabl...A=1&B=21232&S=
Jon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode