Engine stops alone - Maserati 4200 - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-10-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Engine stops alone - Maserati 4200

hello to all, I have a Maserati 4200 of 2004 and 84000 km with gearbox Cambiocorsa. I live in France. I have a problem for some time, the engine stops alone while I roll when I slow down (stop, traffic light). As if the engine stalled, but without noise or vibration. All the lights come on the dashboard, I am forced to turn off the ignition and put it back on and the engine will restart immediately. An idea? Thank you! Have a good day. Nicolas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-11-2019, 06:24 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 421
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I'd start by cleaning the throttle butterfly with an appropriate cleaner. Also, is your air filter clean? Lastly, while I'm in there, I'd clean the MAF with the proper cleaner.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-12-2019, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your answer. The air filtre is New. What do you mean with MAF? Have a Nice day.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-12-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarma View Post
Thanks for your answer. The air filtre is New. What do you mean with MAF? Have a Nice day.
It's the mass air flow sensor and it's ahead of the throttle in the intake duct. It measures the amount of air going into the engine and is one of the parameters that determines the amount of fuel being injected. The engine may be stalling because it is getting insufficient air and fuel to run at idle.

Last edited by Tony H; 06-12-2019 at 06:53 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-13-2019, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Ok, thank you very much for your answer!
post #6 of 8 Old 06-13-2019, 01:17 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 882
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
If the problem is absolutely confined to the scenario where you are rolling to a stop, with no additional symptoms otherwise, I would start with the clutch. I've seen it more than once in the Cambiocorsa and the QP where for different reasons, the clutch remained in contact with the flywheel a fraction of a second too long, which triggered an engine shutdown when rolling to a stop. The NCR is programmed to throw the car into N during such an event but a total disengagement is required to move the gearbox into that gear and if something prevents it, then you'll see this symptom when rolling to a stop. Flywheel glazing, clutches not properly broken in, or low clutch slave pressure are some of the issues that will cause this symptom by itself. I serviced a 2007 QP experiencing the same issue due to leakage in the engagement solenoids. Not saying that's what is wrong with yours - it's just something a F1 tech will look at should it not be anything simple and obvious.

It's impossible to diagnose such a vague condition over the internet, so this is just my guess, based on the fact that you said it only occurred when "while I roll when I slow down." If the car has a rough idle when warm, delayed start, or anything else then I'd say it's fuel/air or some engine management issue.

The only way to be sure is to have a tech look at it during failure, preferably with the SD connected, that way the hydraulic pressure can be tested along with engine management. Otherwise, we're all just spitballing.

Erik Di Somma
2005 Quattroporte
1989 228 (past)
1985 Quattroporte III (past)
post #7 of 8 Old 06-13-2019, 02:27 PM

Wow, is there any failure on these cars that can't be traced to the CC? Can you shift into N when you're coasting down and see if it doesn't stall? Once again I'm glad I've got the 6MT!

Concerning my simple suggestions, I'd also check to make sure there are no intake manifold leaks.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-13-2019, 04:53 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 882
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
Wow, is there any failure on these cars that can't be traced to the CC? Can you shift into N when you're coasting down and see if it doesn't stall? Once again I'm glad I've got the 6MT!

Concerning my simple suggestions, I'd also check to make sure there are no intake manifold leaks.
That's what I'd recommend - paddles back when you approach the intersection, so if it's able to shift into N, and the problem disappears, then you've found your problem.

As for the CC issues, his stalling at the intersection (in the scenario I described) is the same as you rolling up to an intersection in first without pressing in the clutch. It'll stall, even though everything in the engine is fine. They work the same way.

Again, I'm not claiming this is the problem - I'm only saying that the symptoms would be the same as he described if it was. It could be many other things unrelated to the clutch, there's just no way to tell without seeing the car.

Erik Di Somma
2005 Quattroporte
1989 228 (past)
1985 Quattroporte III (past)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode