post #1 of 11 Old 05-25-2019, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Maserati 4200 spyder

Hi everyone,

I just joined the club.

I am looking to buy a 4200 spyder manual tranny.

Can anyone give me the pro and cons? Am I buying a hand grenade? (I own a 1990 Jag JXS so I am well aware of hand grenades)

Thoughts, opinions, and suggestions are needed and welcoe, good and the bad.

Thanks.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-25-2019, 02:46 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 444
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottpang View Post
Hi everyone,

I just joined the club.

Can anyone give me the pro and cons? Am I buying a hand grenade? (I own a 1990 Jag JXS so I am well aware of hand grenades)

Thanks.

Scott
What are you looking to spend?

06 GS //Larini Headers, Larini midpipes, Larini valved rear boxes, FD ECU, FD DBW, BMC.

02 Coupe GT //Kreissieg V1, Evoms tune

Lotus Evora 400 //Komo-Tec 460HP

Porsche Cayenne Turbo //EVOMS GT700 Package with alcohol injection 700+ hp//
post #3 of 11 Old 05-25-2019, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 3
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Maybe 20-25k

post #4 of 11 Old 05-25-2019, 03:48 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 444
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe 20-25k
$25k is a reasonable budget, but here's what I've noticed... Spyders are rare. 3 pedal mt cars are rare. 3 pedal mt spyders are exceptionally rare, and an excellent condition, well maintained, low mileage 05+ examples with a good pedigree... well you get it. I say pick your poison, if the only reason you're avoiding the F1 cars is because of the additional maintenance costs and niggles inherent with those cars, wait until you have problems with the convertible top. If 3 pedal is most important to you, I say find the newest, lowest mileage, best maintained, GT coupe available with a solid history. If the Spyder is most important to you, go with a GS Spyder.

Obviously if you somehow run across that proverbial perfect 6mt Spyder with all the requirements I've pointed out, jump on it, but I don't suggest "holding out" for one.

Ultimately, what I suggest above all else is not to compromise into something with a questionable history, maintenance, etc. An extra $5k upfront on the right car will almost always save you from an extra $15k on the wrong car after the fact.

06 GS //Larini Headers, Larini midpipes, Larini valved rear boxes, FD ECU, FD DBW, BMC.

02 Coupe GT //Kreissieg V1, Evoms tune

Lotus Evora 400 //Komo-Tec 460HP

Porsche Cayenne Turbo //EVOMS GT700 Package with alcohol injection 700+ hp//
post #5 of 11 Old 05-25-2019, 10:54 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 84
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
He gave you very solid advice above. I couldn't find a GT spyder with all of those qualifications and ended up buying a salvage car (insurance auction) with great history (including all dealer service records through 2016 in the glove box) and I've still had to dump 4-5K in it immediately...just FYI

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 Old 05-25-2019, 11:28 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 4,485
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Lorenz-06MT
I highly recommend the manual shift to. Clutch will last a lot longer. Nothing like a convertible, but A coupe is also the better way to go
post #7 of 11 Old 05-25-2019, 04:50 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 416
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
I have a 6MT Spyder; great car but not for sale. Coupe or Spyder...depends on what you want or can get. The 6MT is a best choice particularly because the people and equipment to fix/calibrate the CC will be hard to find and more so in the future. Moreover, the CC is a problem area whereas the engine and transmission are a good as they come. Good luck.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-25-2019, 07:03 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 43
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I've had my CC Spyder nearly 5 years now. Came from a main dealer (and a former owner from the forum) with FSH and essentially in immaculate condition. It gets serviced once a year by Daytona (I admit I do not drive it a lot) and the only other issue I have had was a slightly unreliable top. That was just fixed, turned out a bolt had sheared, 2 hours of labour and $50 in parts. Nothing else has gone wrong, nothing.

I've owned a few Jags including a 1988 V12 and an XJR. Admittedly unfair to compare to the V12 (whcih was brutal to maintain but so wonderful when all working) but I found the XJR much more temperamental than the Maserati.

And I am pretty sure the car is still worth at least what I paid for it, perhaps a little more.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 06:08 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 137
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
It's a 14-19 year old low production Italian car...that may be the definition of a hand grenade, no matter the combo you choose, but it's worth it IMO. Like anything, if you know what your getting into and expect the worst then you'll most likely be pleased with the ownership experience. Sounds like your going into it with the right mindset with the exception of having to have the rarest of the rare combos. You may be waiting a long time to find the right one. I'm less picky and don't mind getting one close to what I want if the price pad's the potential future repairs which i how I ended up with a Cambiocorsa Spyder. It's been a few years and I don't regret it one bit! In fact I really like the paddle shift setup. I installed the DBW module and it's a blast to drive not to mention the trans is always a cool/rare talking point when someone is checking the car out. I think it adds to the mystic of the car. Good luck in your search.

- Tom

Check out my DIY YouTube Channel @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbq..._as=subscriber
post #10 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 01:43 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 8
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Few things to keep an eye out for are
No tears in the soft-top roof and it functions as it should
If any anti-freeze smells in the cabin which could be the heater core
I've had mine since March last year and love it.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-30-2019, 12:29 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 75
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I just joined the club.

Thanks.

Scott
Hey Scott, welcome to the club. All good advice. This is the best forum to help you with your car search and any issues that may pop up (and they will). Personally, I love the F1 setup and would always opt for a convertible (even though you loose a little in performance and gain some cowl shake). 4200's are really GT cars vs hardcore sports cars and there's nothing like cruising on a beautiful day with the top down. And if you're marginally handy with a wrench you can do almost all the services yourself.

I've got a Blu Netuno/Beige 05 Spyder I'm considering selling...maybe...excellent cond with 20K miles, 85% clutch life remaining on F1 gearbox, no roof issues, FDDBW, FD X-Pipe and sway bars, etc., etc. I've had a GS coupe, and after about a year gotten this Spyder to drive pretty close to that.

I might take as little as $32K so early in the summer. I know it's a little on the high side, but she really runs great, sounds great and looks stunning in blu with polished 19" wheels and red calipers. I'm only even considering selling because I've had my eye on a 360 Spider. If you're seriously interested, send me a PM with your email and I'll send more details.

Cheers and good luck!
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Right.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	123071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Side TopUp.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	123073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Showroom 3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	123075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	123077  

Current:
05 Blu Netuno Spyder
12 Blk MB CLS550

Former:
06 Anniversary Blu GranSport LE Coupe
04 BMW 740li
98 BMW 750il (V12)
81 Corvette

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode