Maserati Forum banner

DMV Title states: Odometer (Reading) "EXEMPT"!? Opinions Pls!

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Andrew224 
#1 ·
Hello. I am looking at purchasing a '06 GS with low miles which states "EXEMPT" for its odometer reading on the title! I haven't seen that out here in CA. The vehicle would be coming out of another state and I'm curious to know if this is normal accurance since it seems most states have a 10 or older "exempt" option for odometer statement! I am trying to find a reputable service/body-shop in Houston area to potentially have this car checked out at (the local Maserati dealership is one choice but not sure if their reputation really breaths confidence for me on a vehicle like this!) Any suggestions, advice, or referrals would be much appreciated...

#2 ·
If it's any consolation, I just bought a car with 55k on the odometer and exempt on the title. I found dealer service records through 2016 and mileage that confirmed the current reading was accurate.

Even if you can't find paperwork in the glove box like I did, used the Carfax to narrow down the area the car was in and call the local dealer with the VIN number. You might get lucky. Good luck!

Edit: after I learned about the 10-year rule it was a lot less of a worry for me...FL here by the way...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I would definitely look into it. As much as I hate Carfax due to its inaccuracies, it may be a great place to start to locate when the designation was placed on the title and by whom.

As far as its meaning, it used to be printed because the original mileage was over 100k (due to 5-digit odometers) or the car was grey market, reflecting KM instead of MI. But nowadays, it should indicate some problem, but not sure what.

#4 · (Edited)
...Found out Murky History!

RE: 2006 White GranSport for sale in TX: Since a few of you guys asked, here’s what I have been able to dig up and/or gather:
- It has a murky and questionable past!
- Currently it shows unusually low miles (~12Kml)
- Carfax shows last recorded mileage of ~6,200 in 8/2015
- Owner #3 renewed its registration back in 2015 followed by immediately passing it onto the hands of 1st of 3+ used car dealers who from there held onto the car between them, moving it from state to state for the following 12-14 months!
- The dealers transferred between themselves this GS without registering it, selling it, or any documentation of what was going on during that period!
- Immediately upon the GS turning 10 yrs old, when it could be claimed “EXEMPT” odometer-vise, the 3rd dealer claims its odometer rating as “EXEMPT” and sells it to now owner #4
- Owner #4 is an easy-going nice guy who probably didn’t know any better...overpaid and without research purchased it on an impulse buy
- This last owner has a title with “EXEMPT” as odometer reading along with a non-signed, no header letter from last dealer claiming: “...odometer reading reflects the amount mileage in excess of its mechanical limits” which means the odometer reading is not to be trusted!
- Having looked up the history on 1 of the 3 dealers who held onto the car (in Chicago), that dealer has numerous detailed complaints online for having rolled back mileage and/or similar fraudulent mechanical and/or odometer disclosures on other vehicles
- A contact of mine at Maserati CA looked up or dug into what alternate records a he could find and mentioned that he sees a chronologically odd mileage record for this vehicle that is at odd with the mileage history Carfax shows...dated back while the vehicle was in the possession of the dealer(s)!
- There are no service history available for the vehicle to trace any other history

As mentioned, since a few individuals here PM’d me to find out more, I though I simply post this here. The VIN for this vehicle has the last 4 digits of “5421”.

#5 ·
Wow, definitely sounds questionable. Again, if it's any consolation...that's only 40 numbers away from my VIN and my engine is still going strong at 60k... Trying to look for silver linings here for you! But I don't know, I'd look around. There seems to be quite a few popping up on eBay and other places for 15-20k.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
If there are any discrepancies, then that will be the result. I've owned many grey market cars that were ODO-exempt for no reason other than KM readings instead of MI.

On the bright side, you now have a legit reason to offer an exceptionally low price for the car. There's one here with 180K miles on it. Mileage doesn't scare me on these cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.