Why does the price of the 4200 continue to drop? - Page 8 - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 116 Old 02-14-2019, 02:25 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Thank you for the well-considered and fullsome reply. Incidentally, I have NEVER driven a car where the transmission or transaxle did not feel noticeably poorer-shifting when cold versus when at proper operating temp - with some cars quite a bit poorer - snatchy /gravelly/"notchy". Ferrari owners (with the same Graziano 'box) are often counselled to go from 1st gear to 3rd gear until the 'box is warm, or if on a down-gradient to start off in 2nd (albeit with minimal throttle / clutch slipping). I have often thought about applying a stick-on 20watt or 25watt heating element, and adding a transaxle "blanket" of closed cell foam or neoprene - and pre-heating on a timer or for 2 or so hours before the drive. Extreme - well, some would say so - but I consider it part of running a high performance car with a manual 'box. It's just the norm for me, to "nurse" it to operating temp. Preheating of the oil tank with a low wattage immersion heater element... as well. Also, there's nothing wrong with 2 hours of block heater (or circulating type) coolant pre-heat either to be easier on the engine .

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT; 02-14-2019 at 04:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 116 Old 02-14-2019, 11:30 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 4,489
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Lorenz-06MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bragg View Post
Finally replying to this thread now that I'm actively on the forum a bit more! I picked up Lorenz's perfect representation of a GT in GS trim late last fall. Exactly what I was thinking of doing to any car I picked up. Love the GS styling, but wanted the stick shift and when I saw this one I jumped on it! Lorenz will be the first to know if I decide to let it go, but I'm hoping it'll be with me for quite a while.

A few pics are attached of the GS trim pieces.

Cheers!
Hi Johnathon, my old car looks as beautifull as the day i sold it. Sure do miss it. Take care of her and she will give you plenty of great miles. By the way, i considered the rear spoiler but i liked it better without. I just liked the clean look without it. Plus if i wanted to remove it i couldnt. ENJOY....
post #108 of 116 Old 02-15-2019, 08:30 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 27
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
l have had my 6MT for a couple of years now, it shifts fine smooth and fast, there was a little learning curve but once I got past that it does really well. The clutch does release at the top but all hydraulic clutch systems do for the most part, I remember when class 8 tractors changed over to hydraulic all our drivers flipped out until they got used to it. I kinda like it makes for a much faster shift I can feather the clutch without having to push much at all. To me, I find shifting at 6500-7000 rpm's is the sweet spot I also think the gear ratio is just fine, at first I kinda thought it was a little tight until I started shifting at higher rpm's. Mine like all manual transmissions loosens up after it gets warm I'v never really thought much about it that's how they are by the time I'm out of our little town it's warm and willing.

post #109 of 116 Old 02-15-2019, 11:30 PM

I am guessing that you don't shift at 6500-7000 rpm 'till engine oil and transaxle lubricant is at normal operating temp... and that you "nurse" it along 'till then.

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT; 02-16-2019 at 01:58 AM.
post #110 of 116 Old 02-16-2019, 11:53 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 451
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
On another note, here is one Maserati you won't need to worry about resale value!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-maserati-shamal/

2002 4200 6MT
1984 Biturbo / Sold after 24 years of ownership!
post #111 of 116 Old 02-16-2019, 12:12 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 122
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masera View Post
On another note, here is one Maserati you won't need to worry about resale value!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-maserati-shamal/
I have seen a few of those up for sale. They are not lighting up the auction world by any means. It could be because it looks like a Bi-Turbo on steroids. Also they are hard to find parts for.
post #112 of 116 Old 02-17-2019, 02:05 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 421
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT View Post
I am guessing that you don't shift at 6500-7000 rpm 'till engine oil and transaxle lubricant is at normal operating temp... and that you "nurse" it along 'till then.
What you say is true, but I find when the transaxle is cold you need at least 3,500 rpm to do a clean 1 to 2 up shift.
post #113 of 116 Old 02-17-2019, 02:15 PM

What about very slow, deliberate 1-> 2 shifts at 1800 to nurse it thru warm up? I know that would be a PITA but every last manual transmission car I have has seemed to benefit from this. YMMV, but I find that cars that have not had their second gear synchro's cared for in this manner exhibit weakness in their 2nd gear sychro's when at operating temp (and needless to say to a much worse extent when cold), often at the 70,000 mile mark. This truly is a PITA 'cause "granny shifting" like this threatens a "bunt" on the rear from individuals following closely, not paying attention, and not expecting a substantial pause in your acceleration away from a stop. I know, I know! It's vexxing for them, too 😐 .

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT; 02-17-2019 at 05:58 PM.
post #114 of 116 Old 02-17-2019, 06:36 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 421
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I've never seen a transmission mechanical failure on these or Ferrari forums (except guys who try the 5>2 shift at redline and they have many excuses). These transmissions are built to slam shit in the CC and F1 configurations and first and second have effective triple cone synchronizers. They have an internal oil pump and maybe the transmission needs some rpm to get the oil flow up. I just find my cold transmission is easier to shit at 3,500 than below 2,000 where I have to force it.
post #115 of 116 Old 02-17-2019, 06:47 PM

I agree... they are very robust... and have that fairly rare feature of the internal oil pump, screened strainer, and for european market qp 5 's an external aerial cooler. Also, significantly, this Oerlikon-Graziano 'box has triple cone 1st and 2nd synchro's. It's just habit for me, to shift in that manner. Too many old cars with weak 'boxes 🙂 .

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT; 02-17-2019 at 07:10 PM.
post #116 of 116 Old 02-17-2019, 09:43 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 27
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
That would be correct I don't shift hi rpm's until It's warmed up, like I said by the time I get out of town it's plenty warm and ready to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode